Author Topic: New event - Thanet Platinum 200  (Read 10237 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
New event - Thanet Platinum 200
« on: 12 April, 2017, 10:33:33 am »
I'm making my debut as an organiser this September with a new 200, which is now open for entries:
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-304/

The original idea was to do all the planning this year and for the ride to make its debut next year, but it's the club's 70th anniversary this year (hence Platinum) and I wanted to tie it in with the celebrations so brought it forward. Also the opportunity came up to use a great start/finish venue.

The route uses parts of Kent and East Sussex that will mostly be familiar to southeast audaxers, but hopefully different enough to any existing or past rides to make it appealing.

What I'm hoping will be a major attraction is the start/finish at Goody Ales brewery in Herne, with the opportunity to sample many fine ales at the finish. Basic camping is available on site, or at the more upmarket campsite 100m down the lane.

For those who don't fancy the full 200, there will also be a supporting 110 BP (same date, same start/finish) going up on the calendar soon.

Provisional routesheet and GPS available to download from the AUK site - further ride info to come soon.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: New event - Thanet Platinum 200
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:46:06 am »
I might go for the 100 to allow some additional sampling time....hopefully we can get an ACME peloton along to this!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:49:06 am »
Finishing at a pub is usually an attractive idea, but starting there sounds a bit dangerous...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:51:20 am »
That looks interesting.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:07:58 am »
I might go for the 100 to allow some additional sampling time....hopefully we can get an ACME peloton along to this!

Couldn't see the 100km event in the calendar?

Saturday = Tilbury Ferry is running, so could ECE with 100km up front and a pub finish in Kent... what's not to like!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:10:31 am »

Saturday = Tilbury Ferry is running, so could ECE with 100km up front and a pub finish in Kent... what's not to like!
And I could potentially provide team car to get home

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:27:11 am »

Or we could let the train take the strain return leg... change at Stratford International to Essex Trains subject to the usual no trains on a weekend...  its about 115km from Chelmsford via the Ferry on a hybrid route I use to get over to Carshalton, then with a bit of The Friday's Whitstable ride bolted on to see us nearly there... it goes a bit squiffy closer to Herne Common as there's a load of 'trails' which might be COR or might not be...

It will make a nice change to the ECE'ing Shaftsbury 'uts  :thumbsup:

Still can't see a 100km event though??

ETA: Sorry - just read this (missed it in the excitement!)

For those who don't fancy the full 200, there will also be a supporting 110 BP (same date, same start/finish) going up on the calendar soon.
Regards,

Joergen

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:31:19 am »

It's not live yet - I'll post a link here when it is.

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:32:42 am »
Finishing at a pub is usually an attractive idea, but starting there sounds a bit dangerous...

:demon:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:34:00 am »

You need to get some practise in, I can recommend the ACME Winter Series... pub start/finish - what's not to like!  :thumbsup:  (Routes also available during the non-winter seasons too  ;D )
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:47:43 am »

ECE in September.....I think not  ;D

Or we could let the train take the strain return leg... change at Stratford International to Essex Trains subject to the usual no trains on a weekend...  its about 115km from Chelmsford via the Ferry on a hybrid route I use to get over to Carshalton, then with a bit of The Friday's Whitstable ride bolted on to see us nearly there... it goes a bit squiffy closer to Herne Common as there's a load of 'trails' which might be COR or might not be...

It will make a nice change to the ECE'ing Shaftsbury 'uts  :thumbsup:

Still can't see a 100km event though??

ETA: Sorry - just read this (missed it in the excitement!)

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:50:05 am »
Or we could let the train take the strain return leg... change at Stratford International to Essex Trains subject to the usual no trains on a weekend...  its about 115km from Chelmsford via the Ferry on a hybrid route I use to get over to Carshalton, then with a bit of The Friday's Whitstable ride bolted on to see us nearly there... it goes a bit squiffy closer to Herne Common as there's a load of 'trails' which might be COR or might not be...quote]

There are a number of options for that final stretch from Whitstable to Herne Common - probably the easiest is to retrace the opening few km of the 200 route, turning off the FNRTTC route at Graveney and bypassing Whitstable. Or you could carry on into Whitstable and then cut south past the station and along the cycle path (tarmac), like so: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20235034

There's also a more direct shortcut through the woods if you have chunky tyres...

(The official route uses a short offroad section just before the finish - I think it's fine for road bikes or I wouldn't use it, but there is a slightly longer on-road alternative if you prefer.)

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2017, 01:48:59 pm »

@Tippers - don't forget it'll be a Grimpeur du Sud ride as well. So added to the Shark and LEL, you'll only have 2 more rides to do.

I'll be up for ECE'ing the 100km. I may aim to intersect your route though, to avoid a big dog-leg to Chelmsford. Train back via Stratford suits me.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 12 April, 2017, 02:00:36 pm »
@Tippers - don't forget it'll be a Grimpeur du Sud ride as well.

Alas not, I'm afraid - not lumpy enough.

Although there is The Crown a week earlier, which is a most excellently hillsome ride.

« Reply #14 on: 12 April, 2017, 02:44:43 pm »

Although there is The Crown a week earlier, which is a most excellently hillsome ride.

I've got the Crown on my list, it does look good, and should be my 5th GdS event for the year. The 'Platinum 100' (assumed name) I'm sure will still be excellent, albeit without the added bonus of hilliness.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »

I've got the Crown on my list, it does look good, and should be my 5th GdS event for the year. The 'Platinum 100' (assumed name) I'm sure will still be excellent, albeit without the added bonus of hilliness.

I'll be happy with post-LEL ECE 200km and beer...  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #16 on: 12 April, 2017, 05:53:00 pm »
This looks like fun.

Is there any chance of leaving bags at Ride HQ during the ride?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 12 April, 2017, 06:10:25 pm »
Or somewhere for a tent?

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 12 April, 2017, 06:24:59 pm »
Both bags and tents should be fine to leave at the start - I'll make sure of it. It's not on the official list of facilities because I haven't checked with the venue but I'll work something out one way or another.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #19 on: 12 April, 2017, 06:44:46 pm »
I'm in. Will be my first 200km :O
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

« Reply #20 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:04:16 pm »
Thanet Platinum 110 now also open for entries:
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-305/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #21 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:54:27 pm »
I know these lanes, they are nice to ride. Interested. Thinking of an ECE. Also atent. oh - and beer, merely as an afterthought. :thumbsup:
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #22 on: 13 April, 2017, 01:14:51 pm »
Thanet Platinum 110 now also open for entries:
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-305/

:thumbsup:

Ferry from Essex starts at 05:50 then almost every 30 mins-ish so a 100 ece looks doable (10AM start might better facilitate it though?)
Regards,

Joergen

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:05:59 am »
Update: I've tweaked the 200 route to avoid Hailsham town centre (the control is now at Pevensey Services instead).

Routesheets & GPX files are now confirmed - pending final checking closer to the day.

Still plenty of room left for entries...
200 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-304/
110 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-305/

« Reply #24 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:22:33 am »
Routesheets & GPX files are now confirmed

Received, and very impressed with the clarity of the info provided. I particularly liked the maps showing where each control is - when riding out of area, I appreciate the peace of mind knowing in advance where the controls are within the locality.

Ferry from Essex starts at 05:50 then almost every 30 mins-ish so a 100 ece looks doable

@jibers, do you have a route planned from the ferry to the start? I had a quick look, but there's a multitude of A-roads that look hard to avoid, particularly around the pinch points. I can investigate further, but if you've got something in mind then I could just follow your route  :)