Author Topic: Regular cycling halves risk of nasty diseases - Shock news (not)  (Read 7921 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Regular cycling halves risk of nasty diseases - Shock news (not)
« Reply #25 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:36:04 pm »
I'm not sure that economic meltdown is a net win for public health, thobut.

Chris S

« Reply #26 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:40:43 pm »

You'd be surprised. General mortality decreased during the dust-bowl of the 30s in the USA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2765209/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:47:09 pm »
That is surprising.  I wonder if that still holds when you have a post-industrial elfin-safe-tea-complaint economy (or lack thereof) and modern healthcare (or lack thereof)...

Interesting Times.

Chris S

« Reply #28 on: 22 April, 2017, 08:04:29 pm »
The chief advocates of the Low Carb movement would have you believe that it's all to do with Insulin.

Cancer is a metabolic disease (Clickity) apparently; and you're much less likely to get it if you eat less (a) sugar, (3) protein, (vi) anything else.

Cancer really hates it if you combine Chemo with Fasting (No No, click me!)

The commonality? Insulin. Chronically raised insulin is really really bad.

You can reduce it through various means; including exercise. Remember Michael Mosely on the BBC - he improved his Insulin sensitivity massively with just 3x30s of HIIT a week.

Bottom line is - if you combine a few minutes of raised heart-rate, with some moderation in your sugar-eating, doughnut-munching ways, not to mention quitting smoking, and moderating the sauce - you'll likely reduce your cancer risk by A. Lot.

ian

« Reply #29 on: 23 April, 2017, 06:41:15 pm »
I'm not sure the majority of people do any exercise beyond walking to and from their car. The closest they come to aerobic exercise is figuring out how to get their cars as a close as possible to their destination.

I'm sure any regular aerobic exercise is one of the most massively good things you can do for yourself. Though  I suspect any measure of it's heavily confounded by socioeconomic status. I'm just back from the pool (1700m today so I'll have room for a couple of brewskis and a pizza later) and it's generally middle-class as you can get, even in south London.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 24 April, 2017, 11:14:39 am »
I'm sure I remember reading that studies had found the air inside cars in traffic to be more polluted than the general atmosphere on the same street. The reasons given were that the air sucked into the interior of the car is disproportionately polluted by the exhaust of the vehicle in front as well as by its own engine, and that the plastics of car interiors were also a source of air-borne nasties (can't remember exactly what sort).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 24 April, 2017, 11:50:32 am »
POTD ;D
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 24 April, 2017, 12:19:13 pm »
I'm sure I remember reading that studies had found the air inside cars in traffic to be more polluted than the general atmosphere on the same street. The reasons given were that the air sucked into the interior of the car is disproportionately polluted by the exhaust of the vehicle in front as well as by its own engine, and that the plastics of car interiors were also a source of air-borne nasties (can't remember exactly what sort).

According to a report in yesterday's Times it depends on the car, apparently.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #33 on: 24 April, 2017, 01:22:59 pm »
I'm sure I remember reading that studies had found the air inside cars in traffic to be more polluted than the general atmosphere on the same street.

It has been fairly well established that in general we are most exposed to undesirable chemicals from the air when we are at home, at work, and in our cars. These are the enclosed spaces that we spend the most time in, and we also tend to collect lots of different chemicals together in them, and we also like to heat them up a bit. I'm hardly surprised that they serve to collect a few exhaust gases as well.

I can't help feeling that it is basically down to that long standing catchphrase: dilution is the solution to pollution

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 24 April, 2017, 03:00:28 pm »

Wonder how an EV compares...  I suspect the more calculated approach to climate control (heat is miles) has an effect, as well as the lack of a combustion engine.

My experience of urban roads is that if you drive a car you spend a much greater proportion of the time in queues than you do on a bicycle, where you may be moving through a cloud of urgh, but at least you're moving.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 24 April, 2017, 03:16:08 pm »
I wonder how an open car compares? You're essentially breathing unenclosed air but still close to exhaust gases and oils etc of your own car's engine, and still have the plastics of seating etc to deal with though presumably they pretty quickly leach out into the atmosphere.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 24 April, 2017, 03:28:03 pm »
You'd have to control for weather... :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 24 April, 2017, 05:03:12 pm »
Don't you always? As in wind borne dust, pollen, industrial pollutants and so on.

ian

« Reply #38 on: 24 April, 2017, 06:19:45 pm »
Unless it's heavily filtered and other gaseous pollutants sequestered, the inside of car is just a partially sealed box. The air has to come from its surroundings, which if a car is sitting in traffic – well (of course, anyone who's seen a car advert will know that the natural environment of a car is a sweeping country road with no other traffic, so obviously it's very unlikely that a car will spend any significant time sitting in a queue of other vehicles). At least outside, the concentration of any given pollutant will rapidly decline (even if the ambient levels still remain too high, anyone who cycles down Streatham High Street will know that you can practically chew your way through the diesel fumes).

Of course, that little air freshener dangling from the rear-view mirror will sort it out.

« Reply #39 on: 24 April, 2017, 07:45:42 pm »
Unless it's heavily filtered and other gaseous pollutants sequestered, the inside of car is just a partially sealed box. The air has to come from its surroundings, which if a car is sitting in traffic – well (of course, anyone who's seen a car advert will know that the natural environment of a car is a sweeping country road with no other traffic, so obviously it's very unlikely that a car will spend any significant time sitting in a queue of other vehicles). At least outside, the concentration of any given pollutant will rapidly decline (even if the ambient levels still remain too high, anyone who cycles down Streatham High Street will know that you can practically chew your way through the diesel fumes).

Of course, that little air freshener dangling from the rear-view mirror will sort it out.
I am advised that as of last Saturday, Streatham Hill has a newly opened M&S food-hall.
I believe that  it is in what was once the bowling alley.
Same high street that was the first in the UK to lose its McDonalds, on account of prize winning tattiness.
Interesting business decision.....

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #40 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:36:35 am »
Does that mean that St Reatham is finally - gasp - Going Places?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #41 on: 25 April, 2017, 02:45:13 pm »

I am advised that as of last Saturday, Streatham Hill has a newly opened M&S food-hall.
I believe that  it is in what was once the bowling alley.
Same high street that was the first in the UK to lose its McDonalds, on account of prize winning tattiness.
Interesting business decision.....

Be a car park, soon

ian

« Reply #42 on: 25 April, 2017, 03:05:12 pm »
Does that mean that St Reatham is finally - gasp - Going Places?

I think officially You Can't Afford To Live There. Which is not unusual for Londontonham these days. They're crossing Deptford and Peckham off the map, sweet baby Cheesus. I think we're down to Thornton Heath and Mitcham as places you can wincingly almost afford to live in (but wouldn't really want to). South Norwood was a dump too though likely improved when we moved out.

Sez Mr Smug of Zone 6.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 26 April, 2017, 01:59:56 pm »
Still Croydon.
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #44 on: 26 April, 2017, 05:28:35 pm »
You can still pay the better part of £400k to live in a one-bed rabbit hutch in the middle of a three lane gyratory in Croydon. The nitrogen dioxide is free though.

It's got a Boxpark now. Patrolled by cycle-hating Nazis though, so don't bother.

(I saw a flat in Elephant & Castle advertised the other day – seemed uncannily reasonable at £155k. Then I noticed that was as for a 25% share. Of a 1 bed flat. In E&C.)