Author Topic: Department Q - BBC 4's latest Nordic Noir  (Read 1568 times)

Department Q - BBC 4's latest Nordic Noir
« on: 27 April, 2017, 05:05:16 pm »
Naturally this Danish series has its misfits: an unpopular, stubborn and dysfunctional cop who has seen colleagues almost bumped off; and an immigrant cop drafted in from a dead-end desk job.

Their task is to examine cold cases and quickly put them to bed. However, stubborn cop allows mission creep to set in and he wholeheartedly launches into the disappearance/apparent suicide of a politician.

It's a gritty affair and well crafted and very tense, right from the opening scenes. I was a bit sceptical about it, but it really was gripping. Recommended.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Department Q - BBC 4's latest Nordic Noir
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2017, 07:42:32 pm »
Yep, seen the first 2 (of3) and they're a good match to the source material, albeit less humourous. None the worse for that tho..
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2017, 07:57:37 pm »
I want to know what happened to the office cat!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2017, 08:38:37 am »
The movies are better than the English versions of the books. I think a lot of the humor is lost in translation. I can see them trying to bring it across, but it's not really working. I watched the first movie, realized it was a series of books, started reading, but most of the way through the second book, I accepted that I'd rather watch the movies and did so. (And skipped book 3).
I'm currently reading book 4 and it's not too bad. I do wish there was an easy way of getting the Danish versions of the books on kindle :/

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2017, 11:37:48 am »
The movies are better than the English versions of the books. I think a lot of the humor is lost in translation. I can see them trying to bring it across, but it's not really working. I watched the first movie, realized it was a series of books, started reading, but most of the way through the second book, I accepted that I'd rather watch the movies and did so. (And skipped book 3).
I'm currently reading book 4 and it's not too bad. I do wish there was an easy way of getting the Danish versions of the books on kindle :/

I actually did find the humour in the books (in English) and felt it was downplayed in the films. But films often reduce books to a précis. I enjoyed the films so much I ordered book 3 from the library. Horses for courses  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2017, 10:52:46 am »
On translations, I found the English translations of the Stieg Larsson trilogy to be poor - despite their winning awards.

The swearing, in particular, in the series above and the Larsson films is not put across well. Sometimes being too heavy, sometimes too light; & it does affect the way viewers interpret scenes when reading subtitles.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
How far apart are their pedals?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2017, 11:02:04 pm »
Just watched the first episode tonight. Very good. I'll be watching more of those.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2017, 07:35:15 pm »
I have really enjoyed the three episodes so far
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk