Author Topic: Efficient method to extract StreetView images to files?  (Read 1994 times)

Efficient method to extract StreetView images to files?
« on: 02 May, 2017, 03:57:52 pm »
On my two-wheeled meander today I was wondering if there was any efficient way to extract, crop and save a large number of images from Google StreetView.  The thought of trying to do it with the PrintScreen key and Paint doesn't appeal, even assuming that method would work.

I'd be interested in any suggestions.  I have Irfanview but have hardly scratched the surface of its capabilities.

Bryn

Samuel D

Re: Efficient method to extract StreetView images to files?
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2017, 04:14:34 pm »
Can you borrow a Mac? You can use Command-Shift-4 followed by a click and drag to select the area you want to capture. When you release the mouse button, the cropped area is saved to a PNG file on the Desktop.

This may not be useful depending on what you mean by a large number of images.

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2017, 04:22:47 pm »
Unfortunately I'm not a Mac person!  The method you describe though looks just right - it seems to require the minimum amount of keyboard and mouse shuffling.  I wonder if there is a simple Windows equivalent I am missing?

Bryn

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2017, 04:25:44 pm »
There was a guy doing a LEGOG (or something like that) via a stationary trainer, who had an application that plotted out his route, and downloaded streetview images along the route.

Certainly not a simple way of doing it.

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2017, 04:36:17 pm »
Windows 7 has a snipping tool.   I have used it to capture images for use in a small claims case.

Once presented with the evidence which was caught on google streetview a settlement was reached.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:10:19 pm »
That sounds promising, PB, haven't heard of the snipping tool before.  How do you access it?  I am on Windows 10 and presume it should still be there somewhere.

Bryn

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:28:31 pm »
On Windows 8.1 at least I hit WinKey-Q and start typing 'snipping' and it pops up as a choice. I can't say if Windows 10 is the same mind.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:43:24 pm »
Aaah thanks, found it by using the search box. Doh!  Now to try it: I may be some time..............

Bryn

« Reply #8 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:55:53 pm »
Brilliant, works perfectly!  I tried it out selecting a completely random bit of road on the edge of the Cevennes and found the view to be right at the entrance to a parking area  with flags with velos on them - looked like a bike event stopping point.  Small world!

Thanks all.

Bryn

« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2017, 06:03:19 pm »
Not too sure what you are trying to do but http://gpxhyperlapse.com/ might interest you.

« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2017, 07:27:27 pm »
That is absolutely amazing JonBuoy!  Tried it with a gpx from a recent tour in France and it worked perfectly.  I slowed it down to 500ms a frame so I could see what was happening.  Otherwise it looked a bit like the London to Brighton in 4 minutes film.  Must play with it some more.

The reason for my initial query was concerned with establishing locations to use in the memory technique known as the Method of Locii a.k.a. Memory Palaces.  This technique goes back to the Greeks or before, and is also used by illiterate cultures.  It depends on the fact that memory of places is stored in a long-term memory part of the brain (simplified explanation!) so if you associate a place with another fact you wish to remember, it has a much better chance of being remembered.  Lots of videos on YouTube about it.  The technique is used by folks competing in Memory Olympiad competitions, and by lesser mortals trying to remember lists of foreign vocabulary etc etc.

Bryn

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2017, 10:34:36 pm »
Not too sure what you are trying to do but http://gpxhyperlapse.com/ might interest you.

Wow, the roads look really different from up there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:37:54 am »
On Windows 8.1 at least I hit WinKey-Q and start typing 'snipping' and it pops up as a choice. I can't say if Windows 10 is the same mind.

Now try snipping a pic of the snipping tool.

I just do a screen capture and paste it into Photoshop.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2017, 08:09:06 pm »
I just do a screen capture and paste it into Photoshop.
Photoshop seems a bit heavyweight for cropping a screen capture, in terms of startup time if nothing else.
Paint or just about any other image editor (I use IrfanView) is also OK.
Screen captures have the possible advantage that they capture context menus etc, which the Windows Snipping tool, though otherwise very good, won't.