Author Topic: Kingdom of the East Saxons 1st July 2017  (Read 11818 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Kingdom of the East Saxons 1st July 2017
« on: 12 May, 2017, 07:39:36 am »
Starting to get geared up for 'Saxons' on 1st July. I've bumped the fee up a bit [to £20], to include more food at the Harwich Pier Cafe control and to book the smaller hall [St Mary's Centre] in case we need an overflow sleeping area. Last time was about right, though some locals went home for a kip or brought camper vans etc.

Same 'Full-TLC': Food at start, Harwich [158km], back at base [268km] as well as several cafe control options en-route. Romantic candle-lit midnight feast before the option of a sleep [floor only - bring your own bedding]. Then breakfast/brunch/lunch pub finish next door!

With an 11:00 start time, ECEs nicely to a 600 [or 500 if you want the Randonneur 2000 medal]. Last long'un before LEL?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Kingdom of the East Saxons 1st July 2017
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2017, 09:12:09 am »
This was an excellent ride last year and with the TLC & village hall floor sleeping option, I ece'ed it up to my first 600km.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this years event but highly recommended!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2017, 09:22:14 am »
It's likely to be house moving weekend in the Tippers household, bugger....although I am looking for a possible helpers ride opportunity.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2017, 10:11:57 am »
I ECE'ed it last year to 600, but am looking at ECEing it to 500 this year, since LEL counts as my Essex 600.  Then just need to find a suitable Essex 200 to ride, since I ECEed the Richard Ellis Memorial on the first day of the season to 300km ... ah, the Baron rides look eminently suitable  :thumbsup:

Of course, I don't yet have permission from Mrs WB for any of the above  :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:28:51 pm »
or 500 if you want the Randonneur 2000 medal

I've not heard of that medal before, and it doesn't feature in the medal section of the AUK website. However a Google search throws up some info from the awards section of the AUK handbook. Is the medal still available, or was it just a promotion around the time of the year 2000?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:53:02 pm »
I got mine a few years after 2000. There was just the one medal (and badge) production run for the award to mark the millennium. When they're finally gone (which might be in the recent past, don't know), I imagine the medal/award will be retired. Why not email the medal website for the definitive answer on availability?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2017, 04:21:21 pm »
I qualified then for a rand 2000 medal in 2015, but didn't know it existed. When Tomsk does me brevet card for G&YF, I'll just need a 300 for a rand 2000 this year. I'll check if I'm free and have permission for this event. Not done it before.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:30:02 pm »
I got my Randonneur 2000 medal 13 years after the Millenium, following a dire ride in the Mersey 24 hour tt, missing out on 6 points but realising I qualified with the 5 points [as one should for the Grand Slam of Shiny etc, no substituting longer for shorter etc].

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2017, 07:40:35 pm »
Is there a special grand slam Essex SR medal? Done 100 and 300 so far this season.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:18:59 pm »
Is there a special grand slam Essex SR medal?

Sadly no, much like the 'Hyper-Randonneur' of 4 x 600s - just the kudos of having done an Essex 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 600. All the right distances, [in any order - not quite that OCD  ;D] no substitutions of longer for shorter. Collect the set of current AUK medals.

Essex Grand Slam Medal is a good thought - project for the winter months, anyone?

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2017, 09:43:42 pm »
Shame. I like me shinies. Just need to ece a 50 and 150 for the current set.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2017, 09:17:22 pm »
Mailing gone out to riders this evening - currently 42 entries, should go up a bit...

More food for your money this year at Harwich - the Pier Cafe did us proud last year, so I've increased their budget, but you can still supplement the special 'Audax Menu' from their regular offerings.

I've also booked St Mary's Centre for an overspill sleeping area. We'll repeat the midnight candle-lit supper, with veggie chilli and pasta/rice plus lots of other goodies to fuel your second loop of gorgeous Essexness. [Don't mention North Hill  ;D]

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2017, 01:29:30 pm »
I've entered. Wasn't going to do anything this long this year (300 max), but I just got tempted by what looks a great route coupled with a first of July weekend hole in the diary...  ;D

And after the debacle I made of the recent G&Y Fields 300 I'll make sure I bring a light that works this time...oh, and a back up...and maybe another one... or just don't ride in the dark...  ::-)

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2017, 05:38:07 pm »
Mailing gone out to riders this evening - currently 42 entries, should go up a bit...

More food for your money this year at Harwich - the Pier Cafe did us proud last year, so I've increased their budget, but you can still supplement the special 'Audax Menu' from their regular offerings.

I've also booked St Mary's Centre for an overspill sleeping area. We'll repeat the midnight candle-lit supper, with veggie chilli and pasta/rice plus lots of other goodies to fuel your second loop of gorgeous Essexness. [Don't mention North Hill  ;D]

Schoolboy error on my part. I rather jumped the gun by printing off the ride instructions a couple of days prior to your email. I'm happy to print again, but thought I'd just check if I need to.

« Reply #14 on: 10 June, 2017, 03:19:57 pm »
Anyone got a GPX for this one? I don't believe I've done it before.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 11 June, 2017, 09:39:39 am »
Anyone got a GPX for this one? I don't believe I've done it before.

It's on 'camaudax' - web link on the Saxons page of AUKweb. [Thanks again Wilkyboy - one of these days we'll get ACME.bike up and running with it all on...] Riders will get a reminder and any last-minute announcements a few days before the ride.

Schoolboy error on my part. I rather jumped the gun by printing off the ride instructions a couple of days prior to your email. I'm happy to print again, but thought I'd just check if I need to.

If I get the chance to check the route/do a helpers' ride beforehand, it's always left until less than two weeks to go - AUK rulz re: helpers' ride and to check for broken signs, road closures, additional hazards like potholes, gravel etc. In this case, I won't though I might find one of our helpers will ride round before then. The old route sheet will get you round ok, though - no changes to the route to last year and all the positions of info controls have been updated.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #16 on: 13 June, 2017, 11:48:10 am »
Signed up for this. Probably the last chance to do a decent ride before LEL, unless I can get  a pass for Hereward the Wake. The later start is much appreciated; makes getting there without a car a piece of cake compared with the 6am starts.

Intrigued at all these comments about North Hill - is this a real hill or an ACME in-joke?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2017, 12:11:47 pm »
Its a real hill, harder than Box Hill but without the lime light of it...  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18 on: 13 June, 2017, 02:18:51 pm »
Signed up for this. Probably the last chance to do a decent ride before LEL, unless I can get  a pass for Hereward the Wake. The later start is much appreciated; makes getting there without a car a piece of cake compared with the 6am starts.

Intrigued at all these comments about North Hill - is this a real hill or an ACME in-joke?

It is a real hill! Will feel manageable after your recent forays in the West however ;-)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2017, 02:46:56 pm »
Aha. had a quick look. I think I've done that one before  ;)   And as it's barely 100km from the finish, probably worth going up slowly so as to time my arrival at the finish with the move from the hall to the pub  :thumbsup: 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2017, 09:18:28 pm »

The Mighty North Hill is one twelfth Alp d'Huez I'll have you know. Peak Hill, Lincolnshire Fens, is the in-joke  :thumbsup:

By the way - 'Saxons' entries are creeping ever-upwards and I might have to lock entries soon at 75 - although I have booked extra sleeping space, we want to be able to offer lots of TLC to a select band rather than share the love too thinly...

« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:00:20 pm »
Just entered. Hope nothing gets in the way of this one (dns'd two essex rides so far this year). At least churchend is closer to cycle to than manningtree and witham!

« Reply #22 on: 19 June, 2017, 02:43:01 pm »
With an 11:00 start time, ECEs nicely to a 600 [or 500 if you want the Randonneur 2000 medal]. Last long'un before LEL?

Yes... this.  O:-)
Just need to find somewhere to put head down for a bit on Sunday night!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:57:10 am »
'Saxons' entries are creeping ever-upwards and I might have to lock entries soon at 75

Only just spotted this ride on the calendar, dammit, and it's already closed. Presumably full up?

If there's a waiting list, please put my name on it.

Otherwise, fingers crossed that you're running it again next year. Definitely like the sound of this one.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #24 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:20:31 am »
Yes... this.  O:-)
Just need to find somewhere to put head down for a bit on Sunday night!
I'm in and ECE'ing to 600 as well, though mostly up-front so hope to get a snooze at the start.  That's assuming the Gravesend-Tilbury Ferry doesn't leave me stranded 2/3 of the way there  ::-)