Author Topic: Recomend a router that has sip and alg turn off able so a voip phone can be used  (Read 2023 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Hello

Was look for some advice.  Am looking to purchase a router the has SIP and ALG turnoffable so a voip phone can be used.

Thank you

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

Afasoas

I'm confused by your post.

I don't think your issue is disabling them on the router, rather having a router which supports SIP ALG / NAT Traversal.
This article has some information and some other useful links:
https://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

My experience with VOIP is very limited, but where I've set-up VOIP phones they have just work - using CISCO small business routers and DrayTeks - neither of which I'm particularly a fan of.

DaveJ

• Happy days
Currently using a TP-Link WDR3600 running DD-WRT and two Gigaset N300s.  DD-WRT doesn't seem to have a SIP ALG, so nothing to turn off.  Not got STUN enabled on the N300.

In the past I've used a variety of Drayteks, mostly the V models, with Linksys/Cisco ATA, then the onboard VOIP on the router, then with Gigset N300.  I set up one of the cheap Cicso ATAs for my mother-in-law so she can call my sister-in-law in Australia, and that seems to work fine with her Talktalk supplied Huawei (not sure of model number).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'm confused by your post.

I don't think your issue is disabling them on the router, rather having a router which supports SIP ALG / NAT Traversal.
This article has some information and some other useful links:
https://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

I think the general problem is that routers with SIP ALG try to be clever, fail, and leave you with hard to resolve problems like one-way audio in an environment (eg. no NAT) where it would otherwise just work.  Hence wanting the option to turn it off.

FWIW I'm using Smallwall (formerly M0n0wall) and SIP (in a NAT-free subnet) works fine.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
What I am looking for is a recommendation for a router/wireless that can work together with her voip phone.

Her provider is BT and the hub 5 doesn't have the abiltiy to turn off sip and alp settings so won't work with her voip phone.  Her voip provider sold her a router and it does not have the sip/alp functionality so won't work for her. 

Looking at cisco and draytek routers.  Any models to look out for?

Any proper Cisco router will work fine with SIP. 800 series are the smallest ones. If its ADSL/VADSL then CISCO887VA-M-K9.
Warning - if your not into CLI configuration then Cisco routers arent the easiest thing to setup.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
That might be a problem.

Any VOIP supplier recommendations?

DaveJ

• Happy days
I'm using Voipfone.  Been with them about 3 years and happy with them.

Before them I used Gradwell for about 18 months.  The Gradwell account got hacked twice, which didn't happen with any other supplier and was partly why I left them.  Before that I used Sipgate for about 3 years, but moved to Gradwell after repeated intermittent call quality issues.

Is it a VDSL line (fttc BT Infinity etc) or is it plain ADSL2+?  If its ADSL2+, I'd try a cheap TP-Link TD-8968.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I use Sipgate, in as much as I use the phone for voice, which is only when I really don't have a better option.  No complaints, but little opportunity to have any.