Author Topic: Let's bury all the cars!  (Read 6683 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Let's bury all the cars!
« Reply #25 on: 17 May, 2017, 03:50:24 pm »
You know what's really rubbish?  Driving an electric car through the Mines of Moria Queensway tunnels when there's a proper Brummie traffic jam in progress.   :sick:

Just wondering if it is more rubbish than in an infernal combustion machine?

In absolute terms that's obviously going to be worse, but subjectively you've got used to being able to breathe and then *urgh*

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #26 on: 17 May, 2017, 04:13:59 pm »
Yeah.  I thought that was where you were coming from, but I wondered if there was something else I was unaware of.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 17 May, 2017, 04:16:06 pm »
That's obviously another factor; tunnels full of motor vehicles are supremely unfriendly to cyclists, pedestrians and horseists, if any should be  unwise enough to try using them. Not a factor with the M32 obviously (don't know these Queensway dungeons) but nevertheless...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 17 May, 2017, 04:22:41 pm »
I saw someone riding a bike through one of them *once*.  Narrow lanes, 30mph speed limit (with most people trying to do 40), no oxygen, uphill on the way out.  Horrible.

If Birmingham City Council had guts, they'd use them as part of a SkyRide (or whatever they're called now) route, for the sheer novelty value.  Like Coventry does with the infamous ring road.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 17 May, 2017, 04:24:34 pm »
There would be novelty value and display of guts but I bet they still stink of fumes after being motor-free for 24 hours.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 17 May, 2017, 04:37:59 pm »
There would be novelty value and display of guts but I bet they still stink of fumes after being motor-free for 24 hours.

Probably true.  Indeed, I expect they still will when they're unearthed by future archaeologists.

« Reply #31 on: 17 May, 2017, 05:04:08 pm »
The archaeologists also stand a decent chance of finding the cars still in it with the occupants inside them when traffic jams exceed the possible lifetime of the average human.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #32 on: 17 May, 2017, 05:04:41 pm »
I cycled through them a few times when younger and still able to turn on a decent speed.  The good thing was there was always a tail wind caused by the traffic.
I stopped doing it after coming across a cyclist there when driving myself and realising how very little warning I had of their presence due to the curve.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 19 May, 2017, 02:35:22 pm »
Like a bat out of hell the Queensway Tunnel.