Author Topic: ACME merchandise (UPDATED - Merino jerseys, mudflaps & CAPS!!!)  (Read 14399 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Yes, I know this is Yet Another Mid-Essex thread and sometimes we are accused of trying to take over the world starting with yacf but this thread is about mudflaps, yes mudflaps  :thumbsup: , and who doesn't love a mudflap eh?  So I'm hoping the wider yacf community will tolerate another thread and who knows it might contain useful info for anyone else wanting custom flaps.  So here goes ...

I have been in touch with RAW Mudflaps and had the quoted email below back from Richard@RAW.  I asked for front and back flaps, with the back ones being extra long.  I also asked for reflective black which Richard comments on:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your email.

Design can be a bit tricky for the mudflaps because they are long and thin so I'm not sure there's space on the rear flap to put the dynamite and ACME text to the sides of it, especially on extra long flaps - it may look out of proportion.  I've had a (very) quick look at what you sent and your club jersey for further inspiration and have done a couple of designs to see which direction you want to go and then I'll do a better proof for you.  These are standard length flaps so extra long would be longer obviously but not much wider so it will change the design.

You mentioned reflective black as the colour. Unfortunately on club designs I cannot make the black reflective unless we put a coloured sticker in the middle of a black background. However, all non-black parts of the design can be made reflective and the lighter the colour the more reflective it is.

The cost for reflective is £15 per pair and non-reflective is £13 a pair based on an order of a dozen. This includes design work and postage.

If you think you would buy more after the initial order I could do a lower price per pair but charge a setup fee.

Kind regards,
Richard

Here is a screen shot from the email showing Richard's preliminary designs which I think look amazing:

What do we all think???

Re: The ACME mudflap thread
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:07:13 am »
Ace  :thumbsup:

I think having the front one with the Dynamite in Black is cool and then I like the red one for the back (second from Right)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:09:24 am »
About the black reflective: I have a black reflective RAW mudflap and I don't think I'd recommend it. The black isn't really black, certainly not as black as the non-reflective black, and it doesn't reflect as well as other colours. But RAW mudflaps in general are, I think, ace.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:12:41 am »
Oh, one question, do you know how wide they are?

edit: looks at website after posting and finds size chart....idiot

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:20:30 am »
Ace  :thumbsup:

I think having the front one with the Dynamite in Black is cool and then I like the red one for the back (second from Right)

I agree.  As the back flaps will be extra long and the preliminary designs are just standard length maybe there will be enough room for a dynamite stick placed diagonally above the RAW logo?

And so the back matches the front maybe the front flap could be red with the stick of dynamite in this colourway:

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:33:08 am »
I quite like the idea of plain black with the Dynamite on the front, doesn't really have to be reflective for the front either.

Actually for the back, the middle one with the acme moved down and dynamite above might work but I quite like the idea of having ACME larger and I'm not sure the Dynamite needs to be on the front and the back, hence my preference for the second form Right.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:22:58 am »
Do they come in a fluorescent green option too??
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:25:21 am »
Huggy, are you thinking of Valve Caps now?  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:27:25 am »
Huggy, are you thinking of Valve Caps now?  ;D
yet another thread for valve caps  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:36:21 am »

No!  Just cos you've bought a daft coloured bike it doesn't mean we all have to suffer  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:38:31 am »

No!  Just cos you've bought a daft coloured bike it doesn't mean we all have to suffer  ;D
errrmmm, who said I needed to buy the daft coloured bike? And you will all have to suffer it on the road so don't ever forget to bring your shades out!

Re: ACME merchandise (starting with mudflaps)
« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:43:49 am »
Oh yeah... I heard, is it a Bish Bash Bosh?

edit: Jibers Fixie is a nice shade of green as well

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:47:12 am »

Yep, and just to totally derail OD's nice new thread off at a complete tangent, this is the frame colour  8)
Recommendations for mudguards to attach flaps to are welcomed.

« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2017, 11:50:52 am »

Yep, and just to totally derail OD's nice new thread off at a complete tangent, this is the frame colour  8)
:thumbsup: NICE.....

I would go with some nice VO or Gilles Berthoud Stainless. Touch of class and they reflect the colour beautifully. Although, it depends what size tyres you are planning to run.

« Reply #14 on: 18 May, 2017, 12:56:16 pm »
Re the mudguard flaps, my preference in the second from right for the rear flap. It'll match the current branding, and the name is clearly visible. I would keep it simple, and not try to include a dynamite stick on their too.

For the front, I would say that I don't think the ACME would be legible on the dynamite stick. The flap will be low down and by not using a solid typeface the lettering will be hard to make out, especially when it gets a little bit dirty. If using a dynamite stick, I would aim to stick with a filled in design that would be easier to make out.

I have used the PDW mudguards on 3 bikes, 2 of which have the wider variety that you'd be using. They are of good quality, and get good reviews. The only downside is that they come with sufficiently long mudguard flaps as standard.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #15 on: 18 May, 2017, 03:04:14 pm »
+1 for the 2nd from the right - which would also make a good design for the ACME beer bottle...

+1 for Velo Orange mudguards, who doesn't want to be like Alotronic and Tippers after all ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2017, 03:12:04 pm »
Arghh, it was bad enough fitting mudguards but now there`s mudflaps! Once I had a beautiful, lightweight, fast, aerodynamic bike but it`s morphing into an old codgers, heavyweight, shopping bike with dodgy branding.

It`s like swapping a sports car for a Honda Jazz.

I really don`t think I`m old enough for this, it`ll be an ACME prop stand and wire basket next.

As to the design, meh, whatever :(

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2017, 03:15:07 pm »
I`ve got 45mm mudguards btw :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #18 on: 18 May, 2017, 09:02:33 pm »
2nd from right for me, single Dynamite on black front.

You'd have thought Steve would have arranged scale print outs on his guards with colour pictures to show how they look when fitted!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #19 on: 18 May, 2017, 09:12:32 pm »
Arghh, it was bad enough fitting mudguards but now there`s mudflaps! Once I had a beautiful, lightweight, fast, aerodynamic bike but it`s morphing into an old codgers, heavyweight, shopping bike with dodgy branding.

I really don`t think I`m old enough for this, it`ll be an ACME prop stand and wire basket next.

Oi, like doggers you're another bugger who never turns up but still thinks he can take the piss!

« Reply #20 on: 19 May, 2017, 05:45:05 am »

Oi, like doggers you're another bugger who never turns up but still thinks he can take the piss!
To be fair Carlos is the ACME points champion and turning in a pretty good tally this year already. ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #21 on: 19 May, 2017, 05:57:29 am »
Oh alright then. But what does he do on a Wednesday evening???

« Reply #22 on: 19 May, 2017, 06:54:31 am »
We assumed he was out somewhere with you and Doggers.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #23 on: 19 May, 2017, 07:26:42 am »

Don't get your frillies in a twist, your flaps look lovely OD. I appreciate your efforts really. I'll purchase a pair when you've finalised the design.

I wish I could get out on a Wednesday night, I've been to busy working. :(

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #24 on: 19 May, 2017, 07:30:14 am »
Anyway, when did you last make a Wednesday night? You're too busy getting pissed up on expenses to bother with us lot anymore.