Author Topic: Tan Hill 200  (Read 25640 times)

Re: Tan Hill 200
« Reply #50 on: 14 August, 2017, 11:03:51 am »
1) brilliant weather
2) Brutal start. Absolutely brutal
3) stunning scenery everywhere

Great ride and route. Wouldn't have fancied that if it was cold and wet.

« Reply #51 on: 17 August, 2017, 11:51:30 am »
Agreed on all points. The last bit of climb to Tan Hill was extremely tough, and with 98k and a lot of ascent already in your legs.

« Reply #52 on: 16 September, 2017, 04:03:24 pm »
Hi, any idea when the validation will be finalised? Many thanks, Sefi

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #53 on: 25 September, 2017, 05:50:54 pm »
"Hi, any idea when the validation will be finalised?"

By the end of this week!

The date for next year's event has been set for Sunday 05 August 2018.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Tan Hill 200

« Reply #54 on: 25 September, 2017, 07:16:54 pm »
I’ll bear that date in mind! :)

Tan Hill 200
« Reply #55 on: 28 September, 2017, 05:13:34 am »
Lots, long and killer steep in places in the first 40 miles! Even I got worried I’d miss the cut off! But the second half is a delight!

Compared to the first anyways. Certainly a no faff ride.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #56 on: 28 September, 2017, 08:22:26 am »
When travelling North of the Thames is considered somewhat of an adventure, I have know idea what the terrain is like compared to the South East. I picture long, never ending, but not killer steep? Would I be anywhere close?

EDIT -apparently I'm not!
http://veloviewer.com/segments/2612899

I’ve not ridden too much in the south east so I don’t know what your idea of lumpy is. Significant lumps that I recall are: Nick o’ Pendle, Waddington Fell, Cross of Greet, Buttertubs, Tan Hill, Greets Moss and Kidstones Bank. The bits in between aren’t exactly flat but after Kidstones it does flatten out for a blissful 30km or so. It’s a great ride though, you will it be disappointed!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #57 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:23:05 pm »
When travelling North of the Thames is considered somewhat of an adventure, I have know idea what the terrain is like compared to the South East. I picture long, never ending, but not killer steep? Would I be anywhere close?

EDIT -apparently I'm not!
http://veloviewer.com/segments/2612899

Trivia: Chris Boardman and Malcolm Elliot have both won the national hillclimb champs on that stretch of hill. 

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #58 on: 28 September, 2017, 07:42:30 pm »
I would love to work up to doing this one year. I live locally so I do bimble up Nick O'Pendle from time to time. First time I got up there in one go, on a mountain bike no less, I burst into tears at the top. A bloke looked at me sympathetically and said, "First time?" :D

Jay_70_One

• Condor Road Club
« Reply #59 on: 04 October, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »
I’ve not ridden too much in the south east so I don’t know what your idea of lumpy is.

Nor have or do I, to be honest!

I do enjoy a good hill or two, so if I can persuade my wonderful wife that we,  or at least I need a weekend up north, I'll be riding this.
for me the highlight of the 200's, an absolute brute which you know you have ridden but well worth it. Prepare for long periods in the small ring.
Don't die wondering...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #60 on: 04 October, 2017, 12:32:09 pm »
I always found cycling in the Dales exceedingly hard... harder than Wales, harder than the Peak District and even harder than the Lake District. Although some Lakeland passes are steeper, the Dales are relentless and the wind is always a feature. The east side of Tan Hill is a "benign" long slog at moderate gradients, but often a fierce headwind from the west makes it a very tough ascent.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #61 on: 05 October, 2017, 06:20:38 am »
Prepare for long periods in the small ring.

Prepare for long periods of tacking.

I don't own a geared machine. Has anyone been stupid brave enough to have tackled it fixed?

James

I haven't seen the route, but I would not recommend. You might have to walk for very long sections, rather than short.

« Reply #62 on: 05 October, 2017, 07:28:04 am »
Hell no to fixed. A rider would be zig zagging for days!!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #63 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:43:37 pm »
Had a look at the route...

The Nick of Pendle is almost impossible on fixed, Cross of Greet has a terrible final part, Buttertubs has sections at 15-20%, the west side of Tan hill has some steep sections... then you haver Greets Moss, which again, is very steep and Kidstones to conclude.
In between these, there are of course shorter but similarly steep bumps

https://www.strava.com/activities/660188389/

It is a pretty brutal ride

whosatthewheel

« Reply #64 on: 05 October, 2017, 02:17:22 pm »
, it's this or Knock Ventoux, which ironically will be the easier of the two I guess.

I suspect you are right on this... Great Dun Fell aside, the rest seems rather doable... I am tempted by it

whosatthewheel

« Reply #65 on: 05 October, 2017, 02:26:40 pm »
, it's this or Knock Ventoux, which ironically will be the easier of the two I guess.

I suspect you are right on this... Great Dun Fell aside, the rest seems rather doable... I am tempted by it

On the cog?

Ten of them... times two

whosatthewheel

« Reply #66 on: 05 October, 2017, 02:33:46 pm »
Ten of them... times two

:o

Yeah... and imagine my surprise when I found out that a set of ten, often referred to as a "cassette", is actually cheaper than a single cog!

Andy Corless

« Reply #67 on: 05 October, 2017, 06:16:35 pm »
Just to let you know that next year's return leg is different from previous editions. Instead of going via Arkengarthdale, next year's route retraces over Buttertubs Pass to Hawes before climbing over Fleet Moss to rejoin the old route near Buckden.

Andy Corless

« Reply #68 on: 06 October, 2017, 09:00:27 am »
22t? Sure you don't want a 32?

*sorry if I missed the joke

Chris S

« Reply #69 on: 28 July, 2018, 11:01:49 pm »
Hows the weather looking?

I'm going out on a limb here: Warm & Sunny.

« Reply #70 on: 02 August, 2018, 10:21:16 pm »

I've made a GPX file for this years route, with the return back over Buttertubs.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28239319

Usual disclaimer: use at own risk.
The route is split into each of the 4 sections.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #71 on: 05 August, 2018, 10:07:40 pm »
Already after the relatively benign climb to Knick O'Pendle I knew my legs had not recovered sufficiently after yesterday's Knock Ventoux. Or to put it differently, neglecting my training on the turbo really made itself felt this weekend... So at CP1 in Slaidburn I decided, after tea and cake, to abandon Tan Hill; my first DNF for a brevet and you could say I had quite mixed feelings about this decision.

Still, it was a lovely day and a waste not to do some cycling in the lovely Dales. I continued on the official route towards High Bentham, truly enjoying the descent of Cross of Greet Pass, but turning east to Settle and from there the now familiar road to Padiham / Burnley.

I'm sure it'll fuel the motivation to do a proper structured training again this winter / spring in order to tackle Tan Hill again next year!

Andy Corless

« Reply #72 on: 22 July, 2019, 05:40:39 pm »
This year's event has been set for Sunday 11 August 2019. I've again secured the local community centre for the running of the event, meaning you'll be able to take advantage of a free breakfast and enjoy some refreshments afterwards.

The route is very scenic offering 4000 metres of climbing whilst climbing over the Bowland Fells and Yorkshire Dales. Riders should be prepared for a very long but rewarding day in the saddle. 4 AA points on offer for points chasers. Food available for purchase at every control (Slaidburn 27 km; Tan Hill Inn 99 km; & Gargrave 167 km). Simple navigation and no information controls.

Those that have already entered will be receiving their event information and route-sheet before the weekend.

Event websites below:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-231/

http://burnleyccevents.com/tan-hill-200/

GPS track: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28239319

Start time: 08:30 am
Entry fee: £7.50

Andy Corless
Organiser
Tan Hill 200

« Reply #73 on: 09 June, 2021, 10:20:25 pm »
Has anyone had a routesheet for the 2021 route from the Burnley start, or is it just me?  Last time I did it, it was from the Padiham and it is the first and last 10 miles I am a hazy about.  Now received!

« Reply #74 on: 10 June, 2021, 11:14:45 am »
I don't seem to have had an email with the gpx for this year, and would be grateful if anyone could post a link.