Author Topic: Buying a PC for Linux  (Read 2068 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Buying a PC for Linux
« on: 02 June, 2017, 06:44:07 pm »
Our Zotac Zbox mini PC is struggling. Despite me cleaning it out, it overheats at the drop of a hat and shuts down. So I am fed up with it.

I want a replacement to run Ubuntu but rummaging around on the net I'm not coming up with anything interesting. It doesn't have to be particularly powerful. The biggest strain on the current little box seems to be browsing with Firefox whilst playing music. I don't think I mind if it's a full sized PC but smaller would be preferable.

Does anyone here know where would be a good place to look for such a thing? Would self build be the best solution?

Ta.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Afasoas

Re: Buying a PC for Linux
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2017, 12:33:12 pm »
Buy something built on chipsets a couple of years old - so haswell/broadwell and at a push skylake. Support for the latest and greatest chipsets isn't always as great as the tried and tested stuff.

Which Zotac box is it? Does it have any fans etc? If so, are they still spinning? Does the heatsink need some fresh thermal paste on the underside of it? Etc. etc.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2017, 12:58:44 pm »
Thanks for replying.
It's this model: ZBOXNXS-AD13
Fan spins nicely but temp sits around 70C if playing music and browsing but will creep up to 78C (65C at the mo with just Chromium running) or so if Youtubing or some other resource hungry sites - at which point (or thereabouts) it gives up the ghost. I've no idea about thermal paste - I've cleaned all the obvious dust out.
Any thoughts on this: HP 260 G2 Mini Desktop PC?

Afasoas

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2017, 02:15:41 pm »
That HP's CPU clocks in at 3.5x faster than the AMD in the Zotac so it's highly likely it won't be so stressed with the web browsing etc.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2017, 03:11:28 pm »
Yes, I suspect the Zotac has been struggling for some time (I only recently started monitoring temp) and has finally had enough.
Cheers.

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:02:05 pm »
Not directly relevant, but put me in mind of the entertaining story of an Australian who managed to buy a PC for Linux and not pay for Windows ;D

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:19:50 pm »
Not directly relevant, but put me in mind of the entertaining story of an Australian who managed to buy a PC for Linux and not pay for Windows ;D
That's brilliant, thanks!
I probably won't be going that route though.

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2017, 11:45:21 pm »

Brilliant

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2017, 01:17:03 pm »
I got the HP mini and, with 2 browsers open and music playing, temp is 30C. That's rather more like it. Somewhat quicker and quieter too.

Afasoas

« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2017, 04:10:02 pm »
I got the HP mini and, with 2 browsers open and music playing, temp is 30C. That's rather more like it. Somewhat quicker and quieter too.

Excellenté.

Reminds me I need to obtain a replacement power supply for my brix which does a similar job.