Author Topic: Helsport tents  (Read 3499 times)

Helsport tents
« on: 09 June, 2017, 09:53:34 am »
Anyone own one? What's the quality/design like?

Looking at their extended porch tunnel tents.

Re: Helsport tents
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2017, 04:53:56 pm »
I don't own one, but I do remember considering a Helsport Fjellheimen 2 Camp when I was wanting to buy a quality tent for cycle touring, from all accounts I read, they're meant to be very good. I ended up buying a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT, however, and have been very happy with it, it's a fantastic tent.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2017, 06:54:21 pm »
Used one for a week about 10 years ago. Very similar in quality and build to a Hilleberg. The one I used was very similar to the Nallo 2GT except the entrance door was on the opposite side and it was a little heavier.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2017, 06:55:14 pm »
They look similar to Hilleberg tents but cheaper. 2.1kg for an extended porch tunnel tent for 3 people at £700 or so. Hilleberg you're probably talking another £100-200!

I like the captured poles, by that I mean you feed the poles through from one side and the other side is closed. Takes longer if you have to hook the pole ends on both sides of the tent.

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2017, 05:24:52 pm »
They look similar to Hilleberg tents but cheaper. 2.1kg for an extended porch tunnel tent for 3 people at £700 or so. Hilleberg you're probably talking another £100-200!

Blimey, they've got expensive! I purchased my Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT for £360 back in 2009 - I got it in a sale, but even at full price think it was only about £100 more then. I did have to pay anoher £45 for the "foot print" groundsheet on top, though - I bought both from http://www.climbers-shop.com/ - they've actually got a sale on at the moment, the Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT is "only" £709 at the moment: http://www.climbers-shop.com/10907197/products/hilleberg-nallo-2gt-tent---green.aspx

I like the captured poles, by that I mean you feed the poles through from one side and the other side is closed. Takes longer if you have to hook the pole ends on both sides of the tent.

The Hilleberg tunnel tents, like the Nallo 2 GT, are like this too

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:00:18 am »
£835 now. No nallo 3gt listed but I did see it at £795 consistently in the cheaper but respected retailers prior to buying our Helsport tent for £500. We'll end up with a Hilleberg tent one day I'm sure but you cut your cloth as best you can and the Helsport was the best extended porch, 3 man, tunnel tent I could see for the money. Unless you want to risk a £200 on a 3.65kg wild country tent (only £160 last year BTW from the same retailers). Not something I'll risk again.

I remember the field and trek £160 Hilleberg atko price deal a several years back when they were considered expensive at £395. The shop cornered the market for a popular, light, solo tent at the time. All other retailers I spoke to told me they couldn't get them because "that other shop" had bought up almost the whole UK allocation of the tents that year. Something to do with a big ramp up in U.S. market due to one of the Hilleberg family setting up an American Hilleberg company to drive sales there I reckon. They reduced UK allocation of tents.

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:06:38 pm »
I remember the field and trek £160 Hilleberg atko price deal a several years back when they were considered expensive at £395. The shop cornered the market for a popular, light, solo tent at the time. All other retailers I spoke to told me they couldn't get them because "that other shop" had bought up almost the whole UK allocation of the tents that year. Something to do with a big ramp up in U.S. market due to one of the Hilleberg family setting up an American Hilleberg company to drive sales there I reckon. They reduced UK allocation of tents.
The £160 would be the old model without the cowl over the top of the door zip. F&T did the same as the current model at £229.
I'd reckon the price change was down to change in philosophy at the top, perhaps when Bo Hilleberg retired. It's not quotas - they maintain the same fixed price across all of Europe, pretty much. Eurozone may seem a little cheaper, but only because you don't get the "free" footprint there.

« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:25:49 pm »
I bought my Helsport Ringstind 2 from Tamarack Outdoors (Garstang).
I use it solo cycle camping and bought it in preference to another Hilleberg.
It is light and strong with enough ventilation and a higher inside roof than the Akto allowing me to sit on my exped downmat in its chairkit when I need to.
I have  bought Blacks (3), Vango (2), Hilleberg (4) and now a Helsport over the years.

For British weather the Hilleberg and Helsport hold up better in use for me.
Expensive, I know, but what cost is a spoiled camping holiday.

« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2017, 10:25:11 pm »
A long term Hilleberg retailer told me about reduction in quotas. I also read about it on an outdoors magazine website or even in the magazine. It was a common view at the time I recall. Perhaps a myth but I did listen to a podcast with the Hilleberg boss in USA about their plans there. I could easily believe in production capability resulting in quotas during a rapid expansion in one region. It's not.unheard of. For example Golite even stopped UK/European distribution to focus back in.USA main market.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2017, 01:21:03 pm »
I bought my Helsport Ringstind 2 from Tamarack Outdoors (Garstang).
I use it solo cycle camping and bought it in preference to another Hilleberg.
It is light and strong with enough ventilation and a higher inside roof than the Akto allowing me to sit on my exped downmat in its chairkit when I need to.
I have  bought Blacks (3), Vango (2), Hilleberg (4) and now a Helsport over the years.

For British weather the Hilleberg and Helsport hold up better in use for me.
Expensive, I know, but what cost is a spoiled camping holiday.

I've been thinking of getting solo tent for when I'm touring without my wife, the Helsport Ringstind 2 looks interesting (and bit cheaper than the Akto I think - which is appealing as I will be using it less often than my Nalo GT 2)

Looks like they do a Superlight version too, though that's more expensive and may be easier to damage: https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=23006974

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2017, 02:13:43 pm »
Helsport tents pack down really small. My extended porch, 3 man tunnel tent is about 35cm long with a small diameter too.