Author Topic: Tim Dowling  (Read 1537 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Tim Dowling
« on: 12 June, 2017, 01:04:06 pm »
The Guardian columnist - any fans here? I went along to his hour at the Derby Book Festival last night. Much of what he had to say was lifted from here which, in turn, is mostly from his book Dad You Suck, which he was there to talk about and sell, so it was fair enough.

It was great. Really interesting to hear him speak the words he wrote. The Q&A session afterwards was funny and not nearly as cringe-worthy as I'd feared.

No tea-towels though. Perhaps he's only allowed to push those when he's with the band?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Re: Tim Dowling
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2017, 06:37:50 pm »
Yes, I really enjoy his column every Saturday.  I've not heard him talk or read the book but I have been to see the band and they really were very good.  I'm not sure how much they write themselves, but the lyrics are well worth listening to.  He does do a  bit of talking at the gigs, but I was surprised that he came across as quiet and a bit shy perhaps.  The guitarist/vocalist does most of the chat and Tim is his foil.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2017, 06:54:05 pm »
I went to skool with a Tim Dowling but I don't think it's the same chap.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:01:36 pm »
Yes, I really enjoy his column every Saturday.  I've not heard him talk or read the book but I have been to see the band and they really were very good.  I'm not sure how much they write themselves, but the lyrics are well worth listening to.  He does do a  bit of talking at the gigs, but I was surprised that he came across as quiet and a bit shy perhaps.  The guitarist/vocalist does most of the chat and Tim is his foil.

I love his column. I think his band is playing in Ashbourne soon. Must try to make it.
I went to skool with a Tim Dowling but I don't think it's the same chap.

He's from the States.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2017, 11:30:03 am »
In that case it definitely isn't the same Tim Dowling.  Don't think we had any USAnians at st custards in my time though we did have a couple of Canuckistanis.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »
He's a whiney, whiney <insert gender neutral pejorative term>.

I wish he would just get divorced and shut the fuck up.