Author Topic: Too much wind?  (Read 2675 times)

Too much wind?
« on: 19 June, 2017, 08:39:13 am »
I'm keen to hear where you lot draw the line for it being too windy to ride? Especially on long exposed routes.

I am planning on doing the Snow Roads 300km this weekend and the wind is already forecast up to 37mph gusts. I've done the northbound Lecht climb in 45mph gusts before and know just how harrowing it can be!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Too much wind?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2017, 11:27:54 am »
Depends a lot on the bike WRT how gracefully it handles gusting sidewind.  Anything with a large front wheel or that isn't built for stability is going to be scary if there are sudden gusts.

I did Leek-Buxton-Whaley Bridge on the otherwise quite wind-tolerant Streetmachine in similar conditions once.  A 30mph tailwind helped me on the way up, but once I got to the top it and turned around a bit, it became a struggle to adjust for every change in wind intensity in order to keep between the ditch and oncoming traffic.  The glorious descent was performed at below 12mph in order to maintain control.

On the other hand, I've done a couple of semi-technical mountain bike rides in worse wind, and it wasn't anywhere near as scary, due to the much lower bike speeds.

On the gripping hand, after my recent off, anything that feels like a loss of steering control terrifies me.  I chickened out of riding to the shops in 17mph gusts that I'd normally class as 'annoying' last week.

Of course if the wind's going to be in your face the whole way, it's an excellent time to chicken out on safety grounds.   ;D

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:13:57 pm »
For me it's more of a question of exhaustion or boredom* than danger.  I manage to steer into 60 mph gusts to prevent them knocking me off, but 25 mph constant side/head-winds put me off cycling altogether (if it's going to be more than an hour or so).

* From having to ride slowly with little momentum. 
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:40:36 pm »
Exhaustion is my main concern, with it's 12,600ft over 300km. It's also a wholly optional solo permanent ride, so morale support and drafting will be in short supply.

Still, doesn't very audax to cancel  :-[

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »
You audaxers are made of hard stuff.  Surely all you need is an extra bowl of porridge?  :)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »
Exhaustion is my main concern, with it's 12,600ft over 300km.

Try thinking about it as 384,048 cm over 1491 furlongs
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:50:46 pm »
Exhaustion is my main concern, with it's 12,600ft over 300km.

Try thinking about it as 384,048 cm over 1491 furlongs
What's that in hands per verst?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:52:58 pm »
My answer to the question: There are two ways in which there might be too much wind. One is the simple exhaustion of grinding into a headwind for miles on end. The second is when you have to fight to go in the direction and on the part of the road you want. The first can be beaten through, unless it breaks you(!), until in the end you turn and the struggle ends or at least lessens. The second is time to choose discretion over valour.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:59:26 pm »
Just as a bye-the-bye, one of the worst offs I have ever had was riding in London in gusty wind, a plastic barrier blew in front of me, stopping the bike dead and imparting a flying lesson. Just a reminder to be aware of more than just yourself in those conditions, especially around tall buildings where wind eddies.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2017, 02:00:44 pm »
Also beware of plastic bags.  They can do a surprisingly expensive amount of damage.

« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2017, 02:01:47 pm »
Still, doesn't very audax to cancel  :-[

Not sure about that - self-sufficiency includes making your own decisions.  If this was a big organised event then you might expect them to cancel if the weather became poor enough.  In this case, it's your job to make that call.

Not sure what I'd do - if I was thinking gusts all day alongside traffic then I'd not enjoy it.  But on quiet roads, being blown all over the countryside like an empty crisp packet is more part of the activity.  ;D  I'd be prepared to change my decision during the ride though.

« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2017, 02:20:05 pm »
To me the biggest danger is being blown across the road by sudden side gusts. Happened to me once, luckily not much traffic around at the time, but now I will not ride in gusty conditions.

« Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:01:36 pm »
Even not very deep, deep section rims make a difference. I've been blown off roads and it's not pleasant.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:48:40 pm »
Rider weight is a factor, too.  I recall Mrs Wow struggling to control her bike in a crosswind that I wouldn't normally have thought much of.

« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2017, 04:12:15 pm »
My criteria for continuing with a windy Valley of the Rocks 200, a year or three ago (ridden with that Chuffy bloke), was being able to stay within the confines of the tarmac, and receiving no more than glancing blows from lumps of dead-wood blown out of trees.

The above does not constitute advice or recommendation.

« Reply #15 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:51:42 pm »
depends on traffic as well.  A wind I would not worry about on empty back roads has seen me bailing on a sunday morning with loads of traffic, both bike and car!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #17 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:19:03 pm »
I was out riding that area in February towards garn shiel (I think) there were 50 mph cross winds which were alarming but my biggest worry was passing cars (fortunately very few) as with a big leftwards lean into the wind any lull and I veered a lot. So if I`d being going other way, very alarming indeed ! Mind you it was then very quick down StrathDon with a howling tailwind :)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #18 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:02:11 am »
Snow Roads 300km perm completed on Monday 26th, just a nudge over 15hrs. The amount on exclamation marks shown on the MyWindSock forecast was enough to put to bed any chance of doing battle with the wind over the weekend. Even with 25mph max gusts it was a hard day in the saddle, compounded by frequent heavy rain showers and belly that was never content. Probably not the wisest choice for my first 300!

Great ride and would thoroughly recommend to all (or those in need of a little punishment)!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:33:39 am »
Snow Roads 300km perm completed on Monday 26th, just a nudge over 15hrs. The amount on exclamation marks shown on the MyWindSock forecast was enough to put to bed any chance of doing battle with the wind over the weekend. Even with 25mph max gusts it was a hard day in the saddle, compounded by frequent heavy rain showers and belly that was never content. Probably not the wisest choice for my first 300!

Great ride and would thoroughly recommend to all (or those in need of a little punishment)!

:thumbsup: Great ride, especially in those conditions. Don't forget to send me your card to get your ride validated and recorded in The Big Boys' and Girls' Book of Great Achievements™.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #20 on: 03 July, 2017, 03:45:15 pm »
In the post  O:-)