Author Topic: Foresters Gospel  (Read 748 times)

Foresters Gospel
« on: 24 June, 2017, 10:42:06 pm »
Thanks to Alex Porter for organising this new event. It was an excellent mix of the familiar and some brand new roads for me. The route started from Grosmont and headed over the Gospel Pass before returning to base for lunch, then heading round the Forest of Dean.What's new about that, well the start means that you go through Llananthony and over the pass before the tourist traffic starts.
The event itself is part of the Grosmont Festival of Cycling. The whole village is "en fete".
I stayed the night before a caught some live music and a few beers at the beer festival.
The ride only had a small entry but the route and the atmosphere in the village make this one that deserves more support if Alex puts it on again.

Re: Foresters Gospel
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2017, 07:58:39 pm »
Yes, compliments to Alex on mixing in a really interesting and challenging route with the festival weekend. That was quite some climbing for my legs, already tired from my ECE ride to the start. That 25% Dorsters Hill in the glaring sun was tough going and the climb from Tintern to Devauden something I  would never have tried or even known about! The family festival atmosphere around the castle and pub was excellent, would have liked to stay for a few beers but I had foolishly set myself the challenge of an ECE ride back home to Chippenham. A hard day's full value riding for me, finishing just 10 minutes inside the 200 time limit. Thanks Alex  :thumbsup: