Author Topic: 'Let's Do This' pestering  (Read 6212 times)

'Let's Do This' pestering
« on: 28 July, 2017, 11:42:57 am »
A company called "Let's Do This" keeps pestering me with attempted phone calls and e-mails, insistent that I sign up my audaxes without explaining their motives.

My initial suspicion is a profit motive or share of the fees. In which case they will have a shock given the fees charged for entering audaxes.  Has anybody possess authoritative experience of this company? 

https://www.letsdothis.com/
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Re: 'Let's Do This' pestering
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
I suspect they have a fancy website and try to act as a reseller.  interesting that 200km is an ultra event!

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2017, 04:39:06 pm »
I see the Gower Getter is on there https://www.letsdothis.com/e/gower-getter-19669 and the BOOK NOW tab takes you to the AUK web page which shows the same entry fee.

I wonder how they make their money as it might be interesting to push London Wales London on it!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2017, 05:13:15 pm »
I see the Gower Getter is on there https://www.letsdothis.com/e/gower-getter-19669 and the BOOK NOW tab takes you to the AUK web page which shows the same entry fee.

I wonder how they make their money as it might be interesting to push London Wales London on it!

Advertising?

Running a simple website costs nothing

I wouldn't bother with them though, you might attract the "wrong crowds"... folks who expect arrows, feed zones with gels, mechanical support and marshals at every turn

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2017, 05:36:11 pm »
Build an audience, then monetise it somehow. Common enough tactic.  Might be what they're doing.

« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2017, 08:03:58 pm »
They probably haven't figured out how to screen scrape the audax website yet.  By getting you to enter your rides you end up doing the work for them.  They're probably trying to build up their events list before advertising to riders or chasing venture capitalist (VC) money.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2017, 07:42:05 am »
They're pretty pathetic.  Slap a filter on them and send their emails into the trash.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:14:32 am »
For a genuine laugh, select the Gower Getter event, then scroll down to 'more from Audax UK'... I love the way they have random racing photographs overlaid on the Audax titles. The photo behind the title 'Ed's Mince Pie and Mulled Wine' looks particularly aggressive. :D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:44:33 am »
Judging from kit & weather, the Santa Special must be running in Australia.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2017, 07:36:23 pm »
Build up a user base fast, worry about the money later...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2017, 11:03:09 pm »
I like this one; it's vaguely poetic:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: 09 August, 2017, 07:32:48 am »

Couldn't think of a better image for that event, to be honest...  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 09 August, 2017, 08:47:20 am »
I've got one for them:

« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2017, 09:06:05 am »

[/quote]

I wouldn't bother with them though, you might attract the "wrong crowds"... folks who expect arrows, feed zones with gels, mechanical support and marshals at every turn
[/quote]

I have put a lot of effort into www.londonwaleslondon.com to set expectations.  I have tried quite hard to make the ethos of audax the attraction and judging from blogs like this http://www.graceqom.com/the-importance-of-people/ people got into the spirit of it all.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #14 on: 09 August, 2017, 09:44:19 am »

I have put a lot of effort into www.londonwaleslondon.com to set expectations.  I have tried quite hard to make the ethos of audax the attraction and judging from blogs like this http://www.graceqom.com/the-importance-of-people/ people got into the spirit of it all.

I agree... the risk is that your average sportive rider will never visit your site, go straight from Let's do this to the AUK website, pay his fee and show up on the day in lycra short jersey and arm warmers with a saddle bag containing one spare tube and a cartridge of CO2. He will expect to be fed Torq bars every 30 miles and will be confident a well placed set of yellow arrows will lead him all the way to wales and back. Probably won't think he will need lights or anything else.
It is a risk, maybe a well judged use of bold and capital letters on the AUK site might help.

Reading the LEL accounts, it seems to be a common thing, that of unprepared riders who think a long ride is the same as the sum of n short rides

« Reply #15 on: 09 August, 2017, 10:21:57 am »
It's a nice balance to strike - attracting the new wave of cyclists whilst ensuring that they get the message that Audax is about more than rough and ready cycling.  I think it's so important that we stress the ethos of our version of cycling at every opportunity and make sure that we always position ourselves correctly.

On reflection I was quite interested in the Lets do this website but now reading this thread I have changed my mind for the reasons you have outlined.  Whilst I would not use the term "wrong sort of rider" I would suggest that we might give people the "wrong sort of idea"! 

I guess that's marketing 101!

Liam

whosatthewheel

« Reply #16 on: 09 August, 2017, 11:12:01 am »
It's a nice balance to strike - attracting the new wave of cyclists whilst ensuring that they get the message that Audax is about more than rough and ready cycling.  I think it's so important that we stress the ethos of our version of cycling at every opportunity and make sure that we always position ourselves correctly.

On reflection I was quite interested in the Lets do this website but now reading this thread I have changed my mind for the reasons you have outlined.  Whilst I would not use the term "wrong sort of rider" I would suggest that we might give people the "wrong sort of idea"! 

I guess that's marketing 101!

Liam

Well, you have managed to convince me that I have to ride LWL next year. I was put off by the "London" as I can't be bothered to get to any start point in London, with all the inevitable logistics of parking a car, dealing with traffic or carrying a bike around on trains and tubes, but CHalfont is a different story...

« Reply #17 on: 09 August, 2017, 01:21:39 pm »
As I keep saying.. if PBP and Paris Roubaix can claim to start in the French capital...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #18 on: 09 August, 2017, 01:35:09 pm »
As I keep saying.. if PBP and Paris Roubaix can claim to start in the French capital...

I suppose it works both ways, some people will be lured in by the "London" label, others put off by it. Having lived with the traffic for 8 years in London, I'd rather never go back.

Anyway, lovely route... I also like the idea that the furthest point is Chepstow and the following weekend I could continue the story from there with the BCM. I just need to press the button early to secure an entry.... count me in  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 09 August, 2017, 03:05:58 pm »

Couldn't think of a better image for that event, to be honest...  ;D
Oh wow, this is a gift-that-keeps-on-giving.  :D

I'm particulary loving "Ed’s Mince Pie & Mulled Wine 50 By Audax UK  •  3rd Dec" - must get a screengrab at some point ...

I think we should support this website at all cost!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #20 on: 09 August, 2017, 03:31:45 pm »

And if LEL claims a London start ...

« Reply #21 on: 09 August, 2017, 03:57:33 pm »

Much more topical !
I and my blisters can attest to the fact that Loughton to the middle of that there London is a chuffing long way, and contrary to all graphical representations thereof it's not downhil all the way either.

« Reply #22 on: 09 August, 2017, 03:57:43 pm »

If Ryanair can claim....

« Reply #23 on: 09 August, 2017, 06:26:36 pm »
This site is BRILLIANT. I laughed and laughed as I have ridden many of the rides on previous editions.

« Reply #24 on: 09 August, 2017, 10:18:07 pm »

I'm confused now about what side of the road I should be on in Scotland.  Is this something to do with the Remain campaign?