Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL 2017 Blog Roll  (Read 37006 times)

Re: LEL 2017 Blog Roll
« Reply #125 on: 31 August, 2017, 04:41:26 pm »
It's taken me a while, but here's my (long) write-up

robmcivor.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/losing-my-religion-london-edinburgh-london-2017/

Deano - I hope you don't mind but I've used the photo that you posted of my colourful day one outfit.  If you object, let me know and I'll delete it.

Chapeau Rob. I saw you on occasions during the ride, rather fleetingly, but never imagined everything that you went through to arrive back in Loughton. Well done, and thank you for writing up your experiences. It was a good read.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #126 on: 31 August, 2017, 04:46:45 pm »

robmcivor.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/losing-my-religion-london-edinburgh-london-2017/

Deano - I hope you don't mind but I've used the photo that you posted of my colourful day one outfit.  If you object, let me know and I'll delete it.

No, you're welcome to it.

And cheer up - it's not the end of the world as we know it....

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #127 on: 31 August, 2017, 04:51:02 pm »
I stamped your card northbound at BC!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #128 on: 31 August, 2017, 04:59:30 pm »

Oh, I wish I'd known. I would have said hello.  I probably met lots of YACF people along the way without knowing. One I did get to say hello to was Mcshroom, who was a volunteer at Louth. And Jochta was one of the little group that set off from the service station at Alston at the same time as me.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #129 on: 31 August, 2017, 07:18:12 pm »

Oh, I wish I'd known. I would have said hello.  I probably met lots of YACF people along the way without knowing. One I did get to say hello to was Mcshroom, who was a volunteer at Louth. And Jochta was one of the little group that set off from the service station at Alston at the same time as me.
...and me! :-D
I seem to remember assisting you with bike locating skills at Pocklington northbound!  ;)

Sent from my Mobile Phone using Tapatalk
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #130 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:48:56 pm »

That was a great account, thank you for sharing.  Many things resonated but this perhaps the most:

It’s as though we are all connected by an invisible thread.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

mr ben

« Reply #131 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:57:05 pm »
It's a great read, Ben. Felt every single one of your ups and downs.
So pleased you're proud of what you achieved rather than frustrated by how close you came.

Thanks. Wouldn't have got to that point without the support of you and family.

Redlight

« Reply #132 on: 31 August, 2017, 10:00:00 pm »

I seem to remember assisting you with bike locating skills at Pocklington northbound!  ;)

Ah yes, if I recall we went for quite a stroll!  Thank you  :D

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #133 on: 01 September, 2017, 12:22:05 am »

You're welcome!

Nothing wrong with once round the bike park as an after dinner stroll. (other than it being breakfast time, mind!)

Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #134 on: 01 September, 2017, 09:57:26 am »

You're welcome!

Think there were about 4 volunteers playing hunt the bike

Nothing wrong with once round the bike park as an after dinner stroll. (other than it being breakfast time, mind!)

« Reply #135 on: 01 September, 2017, 09:58:57 am »

Great write up Rob, great to know what happened to you... and ELEVEN MINUTES!!!

As for the lack of enjoyment... I haven't felt the slightest need to ride a bike since LEL and I have to say that the prep was a slog. For me the novelty of doing it for the first time was great, but I can see it would gall somewhat. I always thought that I would make next year more unusual and that maybe I would do more MTBing, or timetrialling, or anything else - while still getting an Essex SR of course! Even, gasp, some Eurotouring. Possibly even some *walking*. Variety and all that. For now I am just waiting to see what I feel like doing next, most likely not a whole lot of winter Audaxing. 

« Reply #136 on: 01 September, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »
Mark Maroney from ireland has posted this on Fb:
"London Edinburgh London

I first learned of London Edinburgh London, LEL, back in 2015 when registering for Paris-Brest-Paris. The event’s distance struck me as immense on that warm August Parisian day and I could not foresee myself ever being brave enough to tackle this “giant”. Little did I know what the future would bring!

Last Sunday 30/07 the LEL atmosphere was fairly tense as 1500 riders from all over gathered for the start of this epic challenge. No less trepidatious than the other participants I also considered myself lucky enough to be there albeit knowing that 5 days of sometimes fun and sometimes suffering laid ahead

Here are some of many experiences in riding 1400 km plus up and down England/Scotland’s land.

After saying farewell to my favourite supporter Lori I headed out of the school and immediately north. Unfortunately 3 km into the ride when just settling down I noticed an absence of power(not that I ever produce much!!) and my chain was broken. Pulling in I was left for dead by my companions and about start the messy work of reconnecting the chain when a friendly German appeared as if by magic and indicated that I had arrived at the back door of Davenant School,our starting point!

Twas a miracle or maybe even some karma. I followed his lead and headed thru a back gate and 300m on where later groups of riders were now assembling for their start. The mechanic on duty fitted me a new chain quickly and 35 stg lighter and 45 mins later than planned I was on my way again.

Heading out thru N London suburbs traffic was light altho’ drives did seem more aggressive than I am used to in the emerald isle. In fact I learned at the first check-point in St Ives that Helen, one of our Audax Ireland riders, had been forced to bail into a nettle patch by an oncoming ruthless driver.

The 5 day ride was punctuated by the many interesting people I met on my trip and the first of these was Dan from Shropshire who was riding a trike and when I asked him why he said it was fun and his next purchase for his stable was a trike tandem! He was a well travelled rider and among his adventures was a 89 day tandem trek across Canada with his wife(must be love I commented), a 10 day trek across Iceland, and a 1200 km race in Adelaide, Australia in preparation for LEL.

St Ives school was our first control and here I could see how well the LEL is organized. Card stamping was always efficient and followed by nutrition replenishment at the well stocked cafeteria. So far as I could see all work is by volunteers and these were mainly, friendly, efficient and helpful. Food was always tasty and presented well and the muffins were top class at many venues(kudos to LEL!). The only thing I missed was a good flat white!!

Time does seem to slip by very quickly on LEL, although sometimes not when suffering against a headwind or up a long steep climb, and I had to be really focussed to avoid “wasting” it a welcoming control. Minute, even hours lost at a control are really hard to claw back on the road, especially when tired as the days roll by!

Stage 2 of LEL takes in the flat lands of England’s west country and includes some of the Fen lands which is exposed to wind but today luckily no rain. For most of the ride the wind was WSW and mostly blew strongly. (On the return journey thru the Fens, Thursday, it was like cycling against a brick wall! )

Heading up to Spalding I got in with some strong groups including a smartly turned out English shoe shop keeper from Geneva who was berating the fact that he had not brought a lighter bike than his beautiful hand built steel m/c. Unfortunately I saw the same lad head off in a car at one of the Scottish checkpoints, his race done, his spirit unbroken!

The countryside started to change as we left the Essex flatlands and rolling climbs replaced long straight roads. A feature for several hundred kms in this area was the high hedge rows protecting the road from errant cross winds but also preventing a view of any surrounding countryside. It sometimes felt as if you were cycling in a long hedge enclosed tunnel. This made for several hours of boring riding which was accentuated in darkness.

I was making good progress north and taking in necessary nutrition at the food stops in Spalding and Louth and hence decided to plow on to Pocklington where I would snatch a few valuable hours shut eye.

Heading towards Hull and the massive Humber estuary the crowds we well thinned out and as I approached the massive Humber estuary my navigation accomplices, Garmin and Wahoo Elemnt, were being tested to ensure I traversed this section without a wayward step. The view from the bridge onto the now darkened waterway was amazing and I felt that I had reached a watershed in my epic.

Luckily I hooked up with a knowledgeable rider on the north side of the estuary and I followed her to escape the estuary environs and keep heading north.

Travelling on an Audax ride requires cycling skills, fitness and also navigational expertise. More mature Audax cyclist stick to the detailed route sheets provided. As well as requiring an ability to interpret the directions you also need to make sure the route map is kept dry during your adventure. More recent development in Garmin, Wahoo, Lezyne, etc has reduced a need to rely on route maps but as I know to my cost at PBP Garmin, etc do have weaknesses and can let you down! So I was relying on two electronic systems, route sheets and sometimes asking for directions!

I reached Pocklington well after midnight on Monday morning as the 97 km from Louth were hilly, I was tired and darkness had well settled in(“your land speed seems to reduce dramatically when it gets dark”, quote from Moroney’s theory of cycling). Still I was happy as with 340km in the bag it had been a good day and a welcome few hours sleep seemed attainable.

Pocklington although well served by well meaning volunteers was badly laid out. The control centre was in the middle of the cafeteria, showers were in a not adjacent building and sleeping facilities were distant again from these latter spaces. It was a good place for me to loose time faffing and I duly did so.

I first ate(OK), I then went for a 3 hour sleep and only managed max 1.5 hours(the hall was huge catering for about 180 people and many of those insisted on repacking their pannier bags right next to their sleeping mattress), I then had a shower(should have done this first!) and I then ate again. I wasn’t really efficient with my stop over.

Thirsk was next my target destination and leaving Pocklington at about 0700 I was hopeful of being well into Scotland before I rested. Rolling, leg sapping hills were now well evident and my initial day’s energy and enthusiasm was slightly flagging. I conversed with several interesting people, among them three different Americans whose stories ranged from horrific cycling accidents, working for Netflix cycling challenges in NY city!

The day was going fairly well until we arrived at the historic Castle Howard with its magnificent buildings and grounds. I knew that the climbing legs were to be challenged when the tourist sign proclaimed the arrival of the “hilly Castle Howard area”. Not to disappoint me the hills came thick and heavy in this area. Another American and I diverted into the Castle for a non-existant photo op. The gatekeeper on seeing my return down a one way avenue indicated violently that I should retrace my steps back down a vicious hill before continuing my travels. I was having none of this. This elevation had been hard earned so I continued past his gesticulation leaving him to challenge my American “partner”.

Thirsk is notable for its race course but I sped past briefly noting its fine central layout on my way to Barnard Castle and the entrance to some serious climbing. Warming up the legs on more rolling hills I passed thru the pretty village of Barton known for its forded river crossing. The adjacent footbridge seemed more cycle suitable and I contented myself with a photo shot of four wheeled steel vehicles charging through the water a rate of knots.

The pretty single lane wooden bridge at Whorlton set amongst the tree clad river made a beautiful scene and I stopped for some photos here before finding that the gradient up from the river presented a good challenge to my lowest 36x32 gear!

Castle Barnard school was in sight and as I climbed into the scenic grounds I could understand why such a beautiful place had been chosen to locate a LEL control. The dining hall where we ate had wood panelled walls, plaques to many former pupils and showed off a historical building which demanded more time to investigate. The food here was again excellent and altho’ I would like to linger O headed off to tackle the infamous Yad Moss and it’s challenging approaches.

Yad Moss peaks at 600m(!!) and its steady climb is one which tests out even the most seasoned legs. The wind from the west was strong as as I headed for the peak. In the darkness I could see a long string of riders ahead and behind. I chatted with a young English woman who was carrying what seemed an awfully big pack. On enquiry she admitted it was mighty uncomfortable but that her small frame size mitigated against any suitable bike bag.

The weather had also become colder and I stopped near the top to put on my best Gabba and full winter gloves. On reaching the peak I noted that the highest road climb in Ireland doesn’t come close and felt good to have bested this Yorkshire giant.

The road from the summit goes down sharply in several areas and fortunately no riders had been bested by the twisting road. Caution was necessary as we headed thru the village of Alson where the descent attained 15% and full on braking was often necessary.

Brampton was my next destination. Rolling hills with some steeper test were ahead before I could consider a few hours rest. Cycling in the dark is a challenge in itself notably on new roads. Riding solo as I did for much of this leg I needed to prod myself to maintain a reasonable speed.

Brampton was a hive of activity when I reached the check-point at the local school. Sleeping accommodation was at a premium and after a few words of encouragement from fellow Irish Audaxer Dan(?) I headed for the “lounge” where a volunteer said I was welcome to bed down. The lounge was a long corridor with dimmed lights, no mattresses and no blankets. Fortunately I had sent some spare cycle clothing to Brampton with the provided LEL “bag drop” and draping some spare leggings around me I quickly drifted off for the best 2 hours kip of the trip.

Invigorated with my brief rest I was on the road early on Tuesday eager to crack the Scottish section of the LEL. The weather was certainly cooler as we approached the border and I reached into my travel pack for more protection against the falling temperature. A brief halt at the border for a photo op, who wouldn’t??, hardly disturbed my steady rhythm. Gretna Green was further reason for a photo as I contemplated the many couples who had started life together at the famous blacksmith’s shop. The first really heavy rain of the trip did its best to dampen the spirits as it descended in sheets. Typical Scottish weather I heard many declare in anger!

Nonetheless my spirits were high. I could feel the halfway point of my odyssey was in reach. Two women passed me at a clip and buoyed with over confidence I latched onto their train and began a very fast bit and bit session for several miles as we headed for Moffat. Riders who had sailed past earlier in the morning were now left for dead as we flew along and it felt good to be on the road.

The checkpoint at Moffat was in a modern school and the food available was of the usual high standard. After refuelling heartily I headed north towards Scotland’s capital in good spirits unaware that there was some climbing still to be done before that destination was reached.

The Devil's Beef Tub rises up to 407m and is no mean test on any regular cycle. However, with 640 km of hard work done this climb taxed me fully as I now travelled a section of outstanding natural beauty which lead all the way to Edinburgh. We were on the A701 which is aptly labelled a scenic highway and has great vistas of Scotland’s Munros and “not” Munros on either side.

With each high speed descent I could feel my lack of sleep beginning to affect my control and rather than risk running out of road I decided to pull over for a quick 15 min nap to resharpen my reflexes. The ground on an entrance to a field was hard but comfortable and made for a good resting place before I resumed my ride refreshed.

The control at Edinburgh was gained via a cycle path and here the LEL organisers had posted useful red direction arrows to facilitate navigation to Gracemount school…..the halfway point!

Energy levels at Gracemount were high with the usual high level services provided to riders. My friend Nigel, recently domiciled in Glasgow, had driven to meet me bringing with him some fuel loaded home bread and peanut butter and after giving me a quick neck massage he and I set out south to London.

The full force of the southerly wind could now be felt as we headed via narrow, rolling lanes towards the Innerleithen check point. Even though Nigel was leading me on at what he felt was a reasonable pace I was having difficulty staying on his wheel. My energy levels were low and Nigel was having difficulty sheltering me from the full force of the sometimes gale force wind.

Between Edinburgh and Eskdalemuir there are four 400m peaks and with energy levels fairly sapped this was to be a really hard part of the LEL. After leading me up the first 400m peak against a fierce southerly wind Nigel turned back to Edinburgh and left me to forage forward alone. I was very grateful for his company and his hard work but now it was up to me.

Innerleithen was a small scale control point and I wasted little time checking in and refuelling. Darkness began to descend as I now headed for Eskdalemuir and a more isolated part of the LEL adventure. The challenge of the rolling road was taking its toll but I soldiered on resolved to make Brampton my next resting place. When I passed the Buddhist outpost of Kagyu
Samye Ling with its impressive statues silhouetted eerily in the dark I knew I was approaching the control point having been advised of Samye Ling by my recent Scottish friend John W.

There was certainly a friendly atmosphere at Eskdalemuir as all the locals had come out to man this remote outpost and encourage riders. One of the volunteers was up from London to help demonstrating the unique attraction of LEL. Refreshments were of the usual high standard and although the sleeping arrangements were attractive I was determined to reach Brampton and resolutely headed forward.

Darkness now fully engulfed me and with it my usual difficulty of maintaining night speed returned. The roll of the road was not as severe as before but each slight hill still presented quite a challenge. I was tired and eager to catch a few winks but still had to get thru Langholm and Longtown. The road here made some challenging diversions and in my tired state I made a few errors before eventually getting back on the direct road towards Brampton.

About 12 km from Brampton I was overcome by fatigue and collapsed in a heap onto the luckily soft grass verge. Rescue was, however, close by and a friendly group from London, Jim, Brad and Andy pulled me out of the ditch and insisted on providing a four star escort to my resting spot at Brampton.

The “lounge” now beckoned with its half star accommodation...a friendly floor, a darkened corridor. However, my mental state was at a fairly low point. I was overwrought from my days adventure, 310 km of hard cycling completed since I left Brampton was not a sap to a tired body, and my back-up battery was almost dead thus potentially affecting my GPS systems’ ability to perform. Things conspired against me and although dead tired I was unable to sleep, tossing and turning on the hard floor thinking of the 560 odd km still to go and all the reasons that I would not regain the start at Loughton.

Eventually 2 hours after laying low I grabbed a towel from a helpful volunteer and headed for a quick shower followed by breakfast in the crowded cafeteria. Brampton probably served the best porridge on the trip and thus fortified I headed out towards Alston and the control at Barnard Castle.

With the 600 m summit of Yad Moss to be crossed I knew what lay ahead. Leaving Brampton at 0500 I was feeling fairly low but a voice in my head kept muttering to me that I could still do it. So I ventured forth over some rolling, gradually rising terrain and my first objective the pretty village of Alston.

Alston lies deep in the Pennines and in normal circumstances would be a lovely spot to visit. The main cobbled street has a gradient which often touches 18%(!!!) and with tired legs and violent cross winds it presented a severe challenge. Some of the LEL contestants had taken advantage of the unofficial control to rest at Alston but none had faltered in their upward journey.

Further on and about 1 km from the summit a kind LEL supporter was dispensing coffee and flapjacks(I got the last one!) and the refreshment and chance to rest briefly and chat were well appreciated. A long downhill was some reward for the hard work completed and this was enjoyed before the road rose and fell again for the last few miles into scenic Barnard Castle.

I resolved to refuel quickly at Barnard Castle but before eating I made some effort to stretch as my back and neck were both feeling sore. I was in the middle of enjoying a delicious jam sponge, with custard, when a volunteer approached and asked me if I was in pain. Briefly I wondered if this were a trick qustion set up by the organizers! I was tempted to give an honest answer but held my tongue and simply replied how she had discerned my discomfort! She asked if I wanted to have a Reiki treatment to ease my back pain and with nothing to lose I agreed. As far as I could ascertain the Reiki consists of the practitioner’s dispensing positive energy into the client using her thought process and without physical contact.

So when my “friend” asked me to breathe in the colour light purple and breathe out dark purple I did my best to comply. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We then chatted for a few minutes about the value of Reiki and the hope that my treatment would help ease my pain.

I’m not sure whether or not the Reiki worked but the advice I got about thinking positive and believing in myself and my ability was of great help. My spirits were low and strengthened by a new resolve I left Barnard Castle with a renewed vigour.

Heading for Thirsk I crossed the river Tees by the quaint single lane wooden bridge at Whorlton. Two friendly Englishmen, Dave and Bob, invited me to attach to their train and as the rain had started I was happy to take any assistance possible from their draft. The rolling roads were fairly uninteresting with the ubiquitous high hedgreows now more prominent and traffic density beginning to increase. I reached Thirsk about 4 p.m. on Wednesday and now felt pressure to keep going if I were to make the 117 hour finish deadline.

By 5 p.m. I was on the road again demonstrating that even when faffing is minimised much time is lost at a chek point. Earlier in my travels I had discussed with Andy, one of the organizers, the way the seasoned Audaxers ensure time wasting is minimised by being fully focussed and awake when stopping.

The road to Pocklington passes through the Howardian hills home of the ancient Castle Howard. It’s obviously a lovely spot for a tourist visit but the area is punctuasted by some very long steep uphills, several up to 11% gradient. Our route seeemed to travel right around the vast estate and with the savage climbs taking their toll I could easily have done without this tourist side trip. I soldiered on and made up my mind to take a rest at Pocklington where I had stopped on the outward trip.

Despite only taking two hours sleep, it was after 1 a.m. on Thursday by the time I left Pocklington. The outward distance to this checkpoint was 340 km and I felt that even in my present tired, worn state I could complete this distance by the appointed time.

However, I had forgotten that the way home differed from the way out and there was an extra check point at Great Easton and 20 additional kilometres to be factored in!

Once again my guidance systems were playing up and I was having difficulty finding my exit from Pocklington. Luckily I hooked up with a young Londoner, originally from Lithuania, who guided me onto the correct road and also discoursed at length about his life philosophy and why he was on the LEL road. Arnold proved an interesting companion and I learned much of his life in London and experiences as an emigrant in the vast metropolis. He told me also of his friend who was simulataneously competeing in the unsupported 4000 km Trans Continental bike race from Belgium to Greece, making our challenge seem puny.

We crossed the vast Humber Estuary via the impressive suspension bridge and it would be fair to say that this was one of the engineering highlights of the trip. Shortly thereafter Arnold decided to push on, perhaps wearying of my endless stories!! However, he had looked after me well and we parted amicably as his youth was easily trumping my experience.

We were now entering into the flatlands of England and what should have been an easier part of the journey. However, the wind from the south seemed to blow ever harder on this Thursday morning as we left Spalding for St Ives via the Fens. The road through the Fens was open and exposed and very busy with impatient traffic of all types. The driving wind made it hard for me to keep above 14 kph and although many good “trains” passed I was unable to hold their wheels.

I was glad to reach Spalding and took advantage of some German cyclists to finish this part of the journey.

I had phoned ever patient Lori to meet somewhere on the road from Louth to Spalding but with my increased tiredness got the meeting place wrong. Luckily she was persistent and we met up in Crowland, outside Spalding. I took a 15 minute nap in the back of our car, refueled with a fresh sandwich, kissed my wife and headed on towards St Ives.

Still deluded by the distance to go I jumped on a fast moving peloton and enjoyed some good natured chat with a mixed group of Welsh and English cyclists as we worked together to lighten the load. It was interesting to note that even with this strong group of 12 cyclists we were only making 20 kph in the heavy wind!! We reached St Ives feeling fairly happy. Most of those in the group had “time in hand” but I was running out of thime having now realised there was further to go than I had anticipated.

I checked in quickly, filled my water bottles, searched for a coke(unable to find one!) and headed through sprawling St Ives and onto Great Easton. I had only 120 km to do and in normal circumstances I would have found this not too much of a challenge. Unfortunately I was tired, I hadn’t slept for almost 24 hours, my Shermer’s neck problem was resurrecting itself and I was starting to have hallucinations.

Once again I struggled to exit the town. I hooked up with a “Russian” and we took what was designated a guided bus lane towards Cambridge. I knew little of this transportation system but quickly learned that guided bus lanes and bicycles do not mix well. My journey downhill was rudely abbreviated as I descended into a large shrub overgrown pit about two foot deep which was part of the rail system and acted like a wooden sleeper. I landed hard, hit my head(helmet saved me), scraped my arm and knee but luckily was otherwise unhurt.

My Russian accomplice had avoided the pit by keeping to the adjacent bike lane, where I should have been, and after shouting over at me to check my health he was never seen again. On rescuing my bike it seemed OK and somewhat chastened by my experience I headed along the bike path which ran exactly parallel to the bus way.

The surface on the bike path was really smooth and I now made good time, my senses having been sharpened by my near death experience. I was passed by a group of Englishmen and soon noticed that Jim and Brad, my two saviours from outside Brampton, were among them. They welcomed me into theirr peloton and we made good time as we passed through the historic university city of Cambridge. Brad knew the city and we sped along its intricate pedestria and one way systems losing little time.

Things were now going well until Brad and Jim had to stop for a break as their hallucinations were getting severe. I was now left with two others who were not so friendly and soon left me in their wake.

Night time had well settled and we were in a remote part of the country which had some navigational challenges. The turns and twists in the road came frequently and in my tiredness I lost valuable time. My frustrtation increased as my speed decreased and we seemed to plunge into more unwelcoming territory. The rolling hills were made more difficult by the abundance of “loose chippings” of even finer variety than we use on roads in Ireland. Eventually well after 3 a.m. on Friday morning we reached the check point at Great Easton.

As usual this check point was well serviced and replete with friendly volunteers. One young volunteer was most positive about my chances of making Loughton by 6 a.m. I knew that the odds were against me as by now Shermers neck had taken firm hold and my hallucinations were fairly severe.

My mates Jim and Brad had now reappeared and vowed to escort me on this final leg. I was keen to go and after Jim had a fag we headed off.

It was not to be. My physical condition meant that I could not keep my head up for any length of time. Jim and company were soon out of sight. I was now on a very busy commuter road and my hallucinations were beginning to worry me. One false move and I would be under the wheels of a fast moving, unforgiving car driver. I saw a friendly road side bench and lay down for a 15 minute nap and revitalisation. I was not cured but I felt I could ride on to the finish fairly safely.
I completed the last section of LEL fairly slowly. Tiredness and physical deterioration contributed to a less than exemplary finish. However, I also felt mentally depressed as I had missed my finish time by three hours. Perhaps I could have made that deficit up with better time management at check points?

I rolled over the finish line at Loughton just after 0900 on Friday, tired, sore, but unbowed. I felt I had acahieved something. Lori was there to greet me and I was glad of her embrace. I checked in with my brevet card and received my finishers medal. The atmosphere was good as riders celebrated having completed 1441 km under some of the event’s most difficult conditions.

I am now recovering!!

LEL is a tough event. It is really well organized with excellent food stops and cheerful volunteers. The entry cost makes it fairly good value with food, sleeping and showers all included.

There are several really challenging climbs. The wind played a big part last week and in open exposed country that is always likely. Some roads are very badly surfaced, very busy and boring(high hedges).

If you want a challenge train for the next addition in 2021. Seems far away but isn’t.
Mark Moroney"

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #137 on: 02 September, 2017, 09:30:26 pm »
This one has just been posted by two American riders...

http://jacknicholsonsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/lel.html

« Reply #138 on: 03 September, 2017, 04:35:24 pm »
I am doing my blog in installments to make both writing and reading an easier task.
The first two installments have been posted:
Thank you:  https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/london-edinburgh-london/
Registration day:  https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/17/lel-registraion-day/
LEL write up continues- Start, Loughton to Spalding....

https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/lel-leg-1-loughton-to-spalding/

London Edinburgh London write up continues with Leg 2: Spalding to Barnard Castle...

https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/lel-leg-2-spalding-to-barnard-castle/

After a week off from cycling London Edinburgh London write up continues with Leg 3 – Barnard Castle to Innerleithen...
https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/lel-leg-3-barnard-castle-to-innerleithen/

London Edinburgh London write up continues with Leg 4 – Innerleithen to Thirsk...
https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/09/03/lel-leg-4-innerleithen-to-thirsk/

Redlight

« Reply #139 on: 03 September, 2017, 08:53:09 pm »
This one has just been posted by two American riders...

http://jacknicholsonsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/lel.html

Good stuff. I met them both at the start - they had been staying in Dalston, where there had been rioting the previous evening, and I was explaining to them what had been going on. I met them again up in Scotland when they were sitting outside a shop cheering on riders as they went past. I stopped off to get some flavoured milk, but had to make do with water.  :(

« Reply #140 on: 07 September, 2017, 06:37:04 pm »
OMG I've written another one... I can't shut up.

This one is about kit, 'training', bikes and all that. One for the obsessed, and a reminded to self for next time...

https://audaxery.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/lel-further-thoughts-training-kit-next-time-etc/

« Reply #141 on: 08 September, 2017, 06:58:53 am »
I am doing my blog in installments to make both writing and reading an easier task.
The first two installments have been posted:
Thank you:  https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/london-edinburgh-london/
Registration day:  https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/17/lel-registraion-day/
LEL write up continues- Start, Loughton to Spalding....

https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/lel-leg-1-loughton-to-spalding/

London Edinburgh London write up continues with Leg 2: Spalding to Barnard Castle...

https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/lel-leg-2-spalding-to-barnard-castle/

After a week off from cycling London Edinburgh London write up continues with Leg 3 – Barnard Castle to Innerleithen...
https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/lel-leg-3-barnard-castle-to-innerleithen/

London Edinburgh London write up continues with Leg 4 – Innerleithen to Thirsk...
https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/09/03/lel-leg-4-innerleithen-to-thirsk/

London Edinburgh London write up continues with Leg 5 – Thirsk and a dash to the end...
https://marklassman.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/lel-leg-5-thirsk-and-a-dash-to-the-end/

« Reply #142 on: 08 September, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
Henry Whaley's blog report:
"If you can face another Blog on LEL2017 here's mine.
"I'm one of those ambitious first timers who went for 100hours despite my longest Audax being only a 200k. Needless to say I made some rookie mistakes as a result, but learnt a lot about how far I can push myself.
"Hope you enjoy it - sorry it is a bit long"
https://hankchiefblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/18/lel2017-how-far-can-you-go/

« Reply #143 on: 09 September, 2017, 10:45:12 am »
I've added a longer list of links to other people's blogs and videos at the end of my own short blog.  I've added a short one-liner about each blog/video. 

https://yorkbadger.wordpress.com/about/london-edinburgh-london-2017-experience-of-a-novice-audaxer/

Happy to add any links I have missed - I think I've captured most of the blogs I have seen on YACF as well as a few others.

Stephen

« Reply #144 on: 11 September, 2017, 11:55:09 am »
Thanks York_Badger for putting all this together.

I was a volunteer so can't claim to feel all their pain but we had our moments. I really enjoyed the LEL experience but it's nice to read how it was ' on the other side '.

They're all great blogs so well done to everyone who contributed. I particularly liked the ones from the two Indian guys. When English is a second language they're all the more fun to read. Like this extract from Sayi's blog from Day 6 :

" I applied coconut oil to butt abundantly and cleaned private parts for every 200-250 km. So there was never any saddle sore. There was some chaffing due to padding , but main concern was inexplicable irrigation under groin due to my movement over saddle. It would prick like a pin and cause intolerable pain till I find a comfortable position. "

Just great.

Must offer my congratulations to both of them in completing the ride. To finish only 6 hours outside the time limit as Sayi did is something but to finish with only six minutes to spare as Bishen did is incredible.

Can anyone best that ?

mr ben

« Reply #145 on: 11 September, 2017, 02:37:29 pm »
This one is about kit, 'training', bikes and all that. One for the obsessed, and a reminded to self for next time...
https://audaxery.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/lel-further-thoughts-training-kit-next-time-etc/

That was great.  I like your distance- and height-climbed-to-date plots, off to see what I can squeeze from my spreadsheets...

And thanks York_Badger. Walnut Whips over chain tool! ;)

« Reply #146 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:21:12 pm »
I've added a longer list of links to other people's blogs and videos at the end of my own short blog.  I've added a short one-liner about each blog/video. 

https://yorkbadger.wordpress.com/about/london-edinburgh-london-2017-experience-of-a-novice-audaxer/

Happy to add any links I have missed - I think I've captured most of the blogs I have seen on YACF as well as a few others.

Stephen

Nice one! They will all be useful in about three and half years  8)

Really enjoyed the variety of experiences from the front, the back and the international.

Darren Franks

• Adventure Capitalist
    • The Adventure Capitalist Blog
« Reply #147 on: 12 September, 2017, 01:57:06 pm »
The second half of my LEL write-up is finally live. https://theadventurecapitalist.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/lel-2017-part-2/

« Reply #148 on: 19 September, 2017, 05:19:53 pm »
This is Jan Rigolle's story (translated from Dutch - for the original see: http://www.wielertoerist.be/nochain/verhalen/The+perfect+failure/?did=18985&modus=view& )

Below is my London-Edingbrough-London story. Don’t see it in any way as a failure, and certainly not as an excuse alibi, but tried sincerely to give my feelings of "A four and a half days amazing adventure in the UK".

Preview

After Paris-Brest in '15 and Mille Miglia '16 in London, 17 was in London for a while. It was barely a month after the French "mother of all Randonneurs rides" the one Frank Steenput made us mad to write already for something similar in the UK. A ride with wind and rain is guaranteed, so the cliché goes. But sometimes clichés reflect likely reality.

After the summer of '16 I had mentally a difficult winter. I literally cracked in the BRM 200-drive Wachtebeke early December. Oh irony, namely the drive to Heimat and the tomb of one Frank VDB. The attempt to immediately jump on the bandwagon of the new "Year Around Brevet" of Rondonneurs proved a big mistake for me. Certainly when the January ride was canceled by the weather. Knowing that I used to be the subtropical type I did not even think so much. What followed were 3 really hard-working months ...

Well, the annual festival of the Belgian Randonneurs.be was on the agenda in mid-February. The week before I had been a little fiddling with the practical arrangements for the adventure of summer 2017. This time I could not count after all, the perfect organization talent Geert Lammens, who chose a new Italian adventure in late June. On Booking.com I already booked 3 nights at The Bell Hotel in Epping. According to the data I found at 10km from Loughton, the starting point of our London adventure. Would at the randonneurs party sometimes hear what the other Belgian participants were their plan? Perhaps I found a companion on the route.

This proved to be a good estimate because Andy Claeskens, who had been driving the Randonneurs for several years, proved to be very interested. For him it will be his first big foreign adventure. Strong he is quite enough, but rather liked the experience I gained in recent years in such events. The idea with the car to drive there, he saw also sit the first informal agreements have already been made. But we still had plenty of time later in the year to materialize everything. There was also a discussion about choice of start hours and dropbag places, randonneurs among them.

The choice was on Sunday July 30th between 6am and 8am, then you got 100 hours (formula, sleep, eat, bike) or the 117 hours: this gave you a lot more margin, but you could only start between 9am and 4pm. Not that this should make the difference to me. Was tempted to try to start as early as possible and ready to make a long first day.
So I wanted to avoid as much as possible night riding. My plans to install had indeed fallen into the water with a hub dynamo headlight for winter '16 -'17. Had nevertheless vowed after the Mille Miglia that had to be in order against the LEL. Experience has taught me now that you have to run very fast to complete such journeys with no night work during 3 to 4 days.

So later, in April, was finally chosen to start to go for 6am start and BagDrop Thirsk and Edinbrough drop. Aim would therefore be the first day 407km ride, continuation of the tactical plan was Monday night, end of the 2nd day, to sleep at the turning point in Edinbrough. The Tuesday would then be evaluated. Theory, all beautiful, though I normally do such things usually good estimate.

Did not we used to know each other not so long and so well, it turned right clicking well one way or another. The small contacts we had for the practical arrangements, usually via messenger, went very smoothly. Andy and I would be in the same starting block. Really agreed to ride together was not there. Neither did I know that Andy was doing a suit above my level. In addition, in the spring I suffered with severe stress factors, causing me even severe sleep disorders. My (bike) resistance was completely undermined. In late April, early May I was thinking even to cancel everything.

I would like to thank a few people who supported me in this difficult period. So Yves Verstuyf waited with Lieven Eggermont me several times during my first BRM 200 in Tournai, notwithstanding I exhorted them to ride on.

However, a real turning point in morality was the "400" in Tournai, where we coincided with 5 women / husband all day, namely Liesbeth, Steven, Arlindo, Bernard and myself. It was a long but inspiring day! Since then was in my head, I had more than two months to be ready for LEL. Furthermore stood the meantime for me, classical BRM 600 Great Bigard (3rd participation in a row) and the RM-1200 Herentals Cosne-Herentals (fourth consecutive participation) on the program.
This should be sufficient preparation. Did I know that I could never get my level from Mille Miglia '16, and certainly not that of PBP '15, but was still satisfied with the form.
Andy picked me up at home on Friday July 28th, 2 days before the event, well acclimatizing is important. And without stress all starting formalities can perform also gives mental rest. The ferry boat allowed us to leave our everyday worries on the continent. My booking at "The Bell Hotel" turned out to be a bullseye. Exploring by bike, this proved to be only 5 kilometers from the start site! On Friday night, we politely greeted the Facebook invitation for a welcome party by London's Hackney Randonneurs club, a good 20km by bike along the Thames.

On Saturday we pulled out of a short city trip "London by bike", while we traveled by train to London Bridge. Then we stopped at a kind of pop-up bar: "Look mum, no hands". After a delicious coffee, we put our site on to The Tower Bridge, The Tower of London, Big Ben and Westminster Cathedral.
The obligatory pictures in the world-renowned red British phone booths should of course not be missing. By 16:00 we had to be back at the Davenant Foundation School. After all, we had a free photo rendezvous with the other Belgian participants. Was a cozy affair in a friendly atmosphere.
I also saw some known faces of "all over the world" of my previous adventures. "Randonering, it's a small world after all" 

Then Andy and I were eating in Epping a mile further than our Hotel. The weather welcomed us with a hot shower. Wannes Vermaercke, who I learned during PBP '15 would still join us in the Fish and Chips. For me, just "Chips". Fortunately, the fries are fries! The rest of our evening was filled with bicycle preparation and of course the CB ritual, in which Andy willingly led.

After a short but refreshing night's sleep, we finally managed to get started. 2 kilometers far, I realized a first practical omission: that is, I had planned to hide a bottle of Chimay Blue at the school premises for after the finish on Thursday. What did you think, the precious thing got forgot in Andy's car ... Sorry!  The first fast group just left away when we got there. It was also practical that you could already eat / breakfast at the starting place from 4am, there were even rosties!

Day 1 Loughton-Thirsk, 407km 15:52

6am were Andy and I, the only Belgians start in the B group. Together with 23 others. The first stage was 100km to St-Ives. From the beginning there was a fairly tight pace on a mostly wavy course. I soon realized that I was in the climbing work with our group's lesson. Was either the somewhat lesser condition than in previous years or maybe little too heavily loaded bike, who knows. Many things were not overlooked, which I did not really think wisely. Maybe a pace 2km per hour slower group was slightly longer held together and everyone would eventually have taken advantage here.

For a mandatory stop on a closed road, I could easily take some pictures of our companions. Among other things, a Luxemburger rode in a retro Peugeot sweater. He told us that it was an original of his father, who still rode in the team with Simpson in the 60s. After about 60 km I was alone and rolled on without forcing: about 5 minutes after Andy at the first checkpoint.

The second stage went towards the infamous "Fens", say the dikes. Here Andy felt completely in his mind, our group was now a bit more compact and my feelings became better. Even because the pace was slightly lower. The promised backwind on the first day became an annoying "crosswind", but ah what, we Flandriens are just about.

After 60km we arrived quite quickly in Spalding, where we were warmly welcomed. Because we started in the 2nd group, it was also very quiet at the places of supply. Here and there could have been a joke with one of the many volunteers (volunteers) that this event rich. Above all, a young lady hit me behind the buffet which was very polyglot and jovial!

Up to Louth then, a ride of 83km where we were treated to a LEL experience full option. Wind, rain and self in the distance a lonely thunderstorm. Our group was so different because one already stopped slightly faster than the other to put on rain gear. By the time we finally arrived in Louth started getting drier again. What was noticed that every control did have some variation on meals. Here I bought an extra coke, this was one of the only things that were not included in our registration price.

Around 45 minutes later, we left again, happily in drier conditions than we arrived. This stage of a little 100km led us to one of the symbols of this famous ride, namely the "Humber Bridge", a serious suspension bridge that we had to pass both the way and the way back. (Let me tell you that this bridge even long would have been the longest suspension bridge in the world, do not know if that's right?)

A compulsory photo stop was held here. About 40 miles later we arrived in Pocklington. We were still on track to achieve our goal for that first day, sleeping on the next stop in Thirsk. There were also our first bagdrop with fresh clothes and some shower gear. That night I slept an hour or four. That was all right as much as during my whole Paris-Brest in '15! The shower we held for the morning, which was immediately even one shower more than on the French adventure. To quote my wife: "Men can sometimes be dirty beasts ..."

Day 2, Thirsk-Moffat, 220km 10:25

The first stage that day led us to Barnard Castle, early Andy played with the idea to spend the first night. This was by far the most beautiful control location of the entire ride. An outbuilding of a real castle (Barnard Castle, what's in a name?).

Piercebridge we stopped I asked an extra stop at a gas station, in the morning I have one of my addictions may enslave, namely coffee. First we went to the petrol station's shop, but Andy had soon noticed that there was a truck stop 50m away. After my coffee was on, we went inside. I ordered me a real "omelette nature", because Andy was too hot coffee I got myself still time to buy a 2nd.  In retrospect, this "double" stop might be a mistake because, with Daniel De Nijs on my side, this would never have been true. (See conclusion)

At the checkpoint in Barnard Castle we met the first Belgians, men who left after us but (yet) had not slept or less than we. Here I got to chat with Kris Clerckx one who had more than moderate interest in us experiencing. Turn out a freelance journalist who sometimes goes for Grinta! works. We also found Marcel Fieremans, one of the most experienced Belgian randonneurs, who made his LEL debut. With 8 PBPs in his palmares experience is no shortage.

We also saw a British couple for the first time, whose young lady was far above the average beauty side. When they gave each other a hug and we responded to it. Could there laughing with her friend, he spontaneously came up to us to grasp also encourage our firm. The miss could laugh less, the next day I would notice that laughing was not her greatest talent.

Andy and I left here with Marcel, this ride was about Yad Moss, the highest point of the LEL. Already, I had trouble fighting gravity and had to draft Andy and Marcel. Did not feel bad, but did not want to blow me up, even though it became clear that our ways were divorced. It seemed strange that Andy suddenly got back from behind me. He managed to inform me that he go and inspect the sanitation of the local population was ..
For a long time, he was not in my neighborhood, even though I was not lonely. I was able to entertain myself with some British colleagues. A group of a man or 5 who kept driving together. After the beautiful downhill descent towards Alston, I suddenly saw cyclists standing at a supermarket / gas station. Hmm, an ice cream because I felt like in, Kristof mindful I chose a Magnum. That certainly will not hurt, I thought. Now I was solo on the road could I let my mind while riding the run wild, dreaming, I can really enjoy.
When I Brampton stop an hour later I was suddenly approached by a sympathetic American, one Tom (...). He had something more difficult than me and took him into my wheel. Then he thanked me with a medallion with the Golden Gate Brigde. Exactly the same as those of PBP Times 2 years ago, with a similar action. Though my kopwerk now have been as impressive as ever.

On checking at Brampton, I saw Andy, who wanted to borrow £15 for me to buy a new tyre: his was showing quite some wear. Then he went solo and we agreed that we would do keep in touch via our social media. Marcel Inside sat in the refectory still some food. We discussed the options for the next stage. Here you have a clear choice between a flatter A 4km track was longer or B track was "Hilliger". Marcel would go for the first option, I finally opted for the B option. Namely the wind was still inclined to, and reflected in a wavy course there are less affected. Afterwards the good choice was found. A varied trail with scenic views, occasionally threatening clouds in the background. Fortunately, I could largely avoid it.

As I left in Brampton, Pierre-Yves just arrived, a sympathetic Belgian randonneur familkiar from in the Belgian circuit. In the next few days we would meet again a few times.  Moffat I reached in the darkness, with thundering clouds in the background. Had to donn my rain jacket and my rainlegs a couple of times. Thus, I decided to complete the day here and cancel the plan to sleep in Edingburgh. The Santos bicycle from Marcel was also there, who slept there too. Meanwhile, I met Kris and Pierre-Yves again on the "dinner". They would also sleep here. Andy was on his way to the turning point and would sleep 80km further on the trail. He thus adhered to my initial plan. After a refreshing shower, I could sleep for 4 more hours, which made me feel very good.

Day 3, Moffat-Barnard Castle, 314km 14:55

From Moffat I went solo after a hearty breakfast at dusk, think about 5am.
It started immediately with a good climb. The roads were in fairly wet and thought to myself "happy I stopped here last night." At 10 kilometers from Edinbrourgh started to be very "black". I was therefore not five minutes when it began to rain for about 10 minutes. Everybody wanted to take pictures, though from the shelter. I offered one to him to take a photo on his bike, but he did not "pose" in the rain. However, this would have been a true LEL picture 

At Edinburgh – the turning point - I could get omelette again and played a 4 in (???). Pierre-Yves apparently left Moffat for me because he was already here when I arrived. The refter was here very centrally located in the building and provided with lessons with the wisdom of the great earth, such as Gandhi: "Be the change you want to see in the world." Just before I left, Kris Clerckx also arrived. It was also overwhelmed by the vibes that went here.

The next 2 stages, towards Innerleithen and Eskdalemuir were 43 and 49 km long respectively. I was already fifteen miles further when I realized I did not even pick up my bag in Edingbrough, not that it was so bad, but changing a pair of pants might not have been foolish. The first piece I did again solo, though suddenly accompanied by a Spanish couple climbing goats. Turned out that the hombre drove 7 PBPs and the signorita no less than 5! So it was in "good company". At Innerleithen we were awaited by a Scottish traditional dress, which in the meantime accompanied me to my Facebook profile picture.

I went in with a small group including Kris Clerckx. We had previously been some talk, but now we had more time. We also passed the Abbey Traquair and what a café, egg so after I pulled the brakes here close to follow the suggestion of Patrice Martin. He tipped me about it, as a substitute for my usual CB'tje ... (thanks). Due to the hilly course was our group again one and now I was on the mend, my turbo started to come up to speed after two days. Find yourself that such rides only start after 2 days, you come in a kind of tranche that is difficult to describe in the matter, and the legs that run because they have been in the meantime for over 30 hours.

Therefore, take a few minutes for the rest in Eskdalemuir with my Spanish train. Pierre-Yves was still there and we would leave here together. In vain I tried to buy a beer here. A full fridge was to excel, but with a molslot to. When I asked if I could buy one, they told me they did not have the key in their possession ...

The next stop was again in Brampton where we passed the day before, some posts were used double. Meanwhile Tuesday we were in the early evening and had planned in advance to then take stock and see what was happening within the time limits. The legs were good and moral, so I saw it all the way down to get inside within the 100u25. Plan was even to the 25 'extra we received because of diversions by roadworks not exploit. And those who know me know that if it's in my Kopke ...

Initial plan was to sleep a second time in Thirsk, but delays it was not feasible without a hole in the night to arrive there. Decided together with Pierre-Yves as the Dukes to sleep in a castle, viz. Barnard Castle. Obstacles were however still my Magnum shop in Alston, where autistic could not pass me without stopping. And again the Yad Moss (598m) long which we could climb the other side a little easier.
Almost on top we were pleasantly surprised by Drew with Coffee or Tea in their very practical mobilhome. I made him an offer to purchase on its infrastructure, but he understood my intention not good. He only had the price for which he bought the vichikel. Arrived at our Castle, I still felt pretty fresh, but it was already around midnight. In the next 34 hours I still had to overcome 500km to take my time limit. The adrenaline started to flow and took more time to socialize my way to relax.

In Barnard Castle, on the way to the toilet I passed the drop bags (here I did not lie) and was accosted by one Sue. She asked me how I went and immediately left. I told her I was going to sleep for a couple of hours later. She reminded me to the morning to ask her. She had a special therapy for me. 

Meanwhile, I also decorated a mass takes place in a friendly Italian specifically volunteer from Verona was flown. Did that say goodbye! Eventually, I was led by another Brazilian "volunteer" to a dormitory, outside 500 meters further in a sports hall. A relaxing evening walk before going to sleep. Had meanwhile already at an hour or 2. Early wake me at 4:30, but the adrenaline I was already awake at 4:15.

Day 4-5, Bernard Castle-Loughton, 500km 25:07

"If you do not want to be believed, speak the truth" 

When I left the dorm Sue sat there with a fellow volunteer, as if by chance. Was very impressed with this "coincedence" strange feeling. I told her that I woke up with the song of Johnny Cash, "A Boy Named Sue" and showed her the YouTube version of Wouter Deprez "Jaonge genomd An", a hilarious West Flemish version of my fellow shire. (https://youtu.be/m1b-jr-ZJQo)

She asked me to keep my palms and placed in each hand a silver star with the words "today you are the star", then we said goodbye. Special lady!

At breakfast I found Pierre-Yves back to, I think, a half hour than I had slept. But I had gained a lot of energy, through the massage and meeting with Sue. Think that Pierre-Yves got to know me another way in those famous 2 days. At about 5 am I traveled along with Pierre-Yves Castle of the Castle on my way to the special mission ... Ready for a hot day and night for the last 7 stages.

Not even 10km further I suddenly felt a debris at the back. I reminded prosecute Pierre-Yves in his way. I would only do the job. When I was pumping, the couple, with the girl who could not laugh, passed our first Bernard Castle passage. Lost a small 10 "here, not bad but could do better but not many have such a delay. The rest of the trip to Thirsk went smoothly and I bumped in with Pierre-Yves.

Went a little home because I slept the first night here. Thus could again use my BagDrop and benefited them to rearrange somewhat my luggage (read: lighten) and again to attract a fresh dry pants. Could also order a "Pasta Nature" and kept the home front informed via social media.

Meanwhile, I had to receive Peptalk from Liesbeth via Messenger: "Singing songs!".
"Nothing or nobody stop me" (Bart Peeters)
I left again with Pierre-Yves and a few others.
The legs were great again to feel, to know that feeling of inexhaustible of earlier multi-day trips (PBP and especially my Belgian RMs as Herentals-Cosne-Herentals and Brussels Strassburg-Brussels).

At our home hangs an astros coop (dated December '96) that makes an analysis of the combination between my zodiac fish and my Chinese character pig, then stated that this combination provides: "This type of boar will not give easy win. You can be sure that he has an endurance endurance. The tough Metal Zwijn actively rises with all its enormous positive strength and has strength for ten. "
(Picture is still following ...)

Not that I was stronger, but the decay is usually less than the riders around me. Without accelerating I also rode solo away from this group with Pierre-Yves, looking for personal glory. The course also helped. There were wavy "wells" (Wouter De Ruyck, something for you) that I could keep on a good pace. The melody of "Nothing or nobody loves me" wandered through my brain.

Continues!

« Reply #149 on: 19 September, 2017, 05:20:58 pm »
Jan Rigolle's story - Continued . . . (translated from Dutch - for the original see: http://www.wielertoerist.be/nochain/verhalen/The+perfect+failure/?did=18985&modus=view& )

After Howard Castle we had to cross a busy four-lane road (2X2). Take a little too enthusiastic about it and left the waiting file cars to get a glimpse of the traffic. Here I almost misunderstood the British left riders, because just as I passed the first waiting car a terrain torn a 5 centimeter of my front wheel torn. In a reflex full of brakes and tilted like "a real beginner with click pedals" on my left against deck. The driver next to me immediately stepped out to check on I was Ok. I could confirm this happily. Outside a bleeding knee and left leg lightly soiled I came off lightly, phew!

A second small setback but "nothing and nobody ...". Had to be mentally welcomed. Had the next 23km to the checkpoint in Pocklington. There I could eat rice with peas and fries. Spoke also an Italian who was the night before after a collision with an animal in the forest, giving causes. My Spanish friends from the previous day were here too. About 10 minutes after me Pierre-Yves also came here. I told him I believed in it and it would be up to now for the last 360km. When I left, he wished me a success!

On the route to Louth, 97km, again we had to cross the Humber Bridge. Immediately felt that the wind does not really going to be an ally, but what ah ... Now I could really miss all further setback to take my time limit 100u. But my accounts still knocked. The physical preparedness was Ok, the spirit lucid. In other words, I had all the confidence in the good run!

As this was the longest stage I was looking after the Humber Brigde the supermarket I had noticed on the way up. I passed some 3 cyclists who were fiddling with their GPS ... Found in the supermarket are not directly and individually wrapped Magnums board follow Kristof ( "Eat there five consecutively" ed.), I did not sit right. Then the recipe of another Belgian randonneur applied, chocomelk. (Thanks Bart, alias "Mr No picture", Van Daele).

When I left here solo again after fifteen minutes turned the GPS track to have strange cures. For he took no streets, but showed a straight line (handy for the birds, but the bike ...). I panicked and thought not only on my intuition to find my job the way. It soon turned out that my infamous natural compass this time was not infallible, but then the paper version of the route taken as above and in the "good old days" the locals to assist asked how I could get on my route to Kirmington. Two friendly islanders helped me on the right path!

Due to this delay, I lost precious time, as it would later prove! Was glad when I noted referrals to Croxton airport, this was known for my trip on Sunday. The next 40km to Louth was a sologic battle with the wind without much story. But felt well and calculated that despite my recent adventure everything was still feasible ...  When I asked the refectory Louth came in, I looked down to my surprise Pierre-Yves. He also shocked my presence a bit. I told my experience. Apparently they were informed in Pocklington in connection with the route problems. I just missed it. Later heard that some set up the track and drove to the direction. That way, you see that, despite some randonneur experience, I still make "expensive" mistakes. But you have to watch so much and think so much of those moments.

Here you could "mashed potatoes" and have made me too well to four plates! Loved my wife: "Another good 260km". "Tomorrow?" She asked. I told her that I "Efkes" going to continue this evening ... (a lie). Efkes I think it's over, "the 100u are going to fly ..." but then my mental elemental force came up, 260km to go, it was 21h and had basically 10u25 time until the next morning. Provided a short night, you probably know a long bike eight, had to succeed this 

Pierre-Yves was seated to leave again soon. Was not really dark, but it began to get dark. The night driving enthusiasts give as one of the advantages that the wind at night is "lie." Was this efkes a misconception that night! It apparently was the night that proved the rule (from the French "l'exception qui confirme le règle"). But the moral was in the zenith, so I didn’t stop. Somehow there was a train with six other cyclists. Only Pierre-Yves and myself were mainly the engineers on duty. We also had a Swiss couple who had met Pierre-Yves several times. Thus our group grew with the falling darkness.

To my dismay appeared here another (technical) problem, namely my Sigma Evo karma lamp failed to work! (Probably above mentioned fall) As long as I was guided in my back no problem with headlamps with hub dynamo, but wanted to say that I had to search allies for driving the night. The feeling of being dependent on others I found frustrating. Pierre-Yves calmed me and said that I will be allowed to take his backup lamp after the stop in Spalding. Meanwhile, we drove through a moderate night wind at about 20km / h. Suddenly behind us, there were 5 headlamps that approached quickly. From my cyclo past I know that look back sometimes is a good idea to anticipate. Thus, too.

It turned out to be a German high speed train passing by with a rotvaart. Personally I liked it once again to surrender the "driver’s seat" and therefore hopped on and Pierre-Yves followed, and the rest of our party too. But our new neighbours felt it necessary to increase the speed systematically. Everything on a ribbon now and knew that you're better off easing off. Suddenly we drove to 30kph and then our group lead stopped. Pierre-Yves asked whether those men went by night, and apparently they confirmed that to him. Later, I was left alone with five German bears, though there was one bear at! Felt that they wanted to throw me overboard, but before that they got lost. On the contrary, one of them was in trouble. So we arrived at Spalding about 5 minutes after Pierre-Yves.

It appeared that the Mannschaft yet decided there to sleep. Pierre-Yves provided me with the promised back-up lamp, USB rechargeable Leyzne lamp. That should be my overnight lead . After a relatively short break I went solo as a thief in the night. The next ride was only 60km to St Ives. Now I went to the infamous, among LEL cyclists, Fens (dikes, ed.).

Enjoyed it here a different advantage of night driving, despite the headwind drove a pace where I was not blowing. This would allow me once again day was on pace to drive, I thought.
The Leyzne lamp was perfect even, I think more light than my Sigma light, I always use the low mode to save battery.

As if the devil was involved there now appeared another technical problem. My Garmin 800 found it necessary to get stuck! Luckily I was sitting here with two Britons and a Pole. Who I would be able to navigate to St Ives with ... The pace was very mediocre, something too slow to my mind. But without navigation a solo ride was not an option.

When my British companions wanted to take a bathroom break and I joined in, but our Polish friend rode on. Here I made a fatal mistake by not going with him, it appears in retrospect. Once again I sat at a frustrating (ly slow) pace. Even think that I could not hide it in front of my companions. Great was my surprise then when I suddenly 10m behind me, "STOP" heard cries. Never made it, it appeared that they were going to stop for a break to stretch!?!?

At a mile or 5 of the following stamp check, I suddenly saw traffic signs with "St-Ives", and my natural built-in GPS began to recognize the way of the road. Immediately the signal to leave this unlucky duo and drive a prologue. When I arrived, I asked a bit about my drivers if they could not get the route again on my Garmin. The already great "volunteers" calm me down and said that there was someone who would fix that for me.

Turned out that I just had to reset the GPS, strange because after the restart, even the tracks were still there. Even I did not lose all my LEL registrations! Did they say that it would be cut to reach my 100u limit, but joked one of them: "You're going to make it, and Phil is un understanding guy ...". Another "volunteer" offered me a hot cup of tea, tasted like I drank 2 immediately.

I decided to lay the ground for 5 minutes in the refter for a power cut. Early if they wanted to wake me up, but that did not turn out to be necessary. After invoking efkes, I spontaneously woke up again, the man knew me to say it was exactly 5 minutes, very strange. I learned the powernap recipe I applied during the Mille Miglia last year (not Joris Cosyn?), It works perfectly. Also because I had slept for almost three hours in total for the three nights.
At 3 o'clock I left again solo here. So still had 7 hours to finish the last 120km, it's in my mind, I thought ...Before I left, I also informed Rider "B4", Andy Claeskens, not yet arrived in Great Easton. I felt a little strange as it was only 72km away. Would he have stopped somewhere to sleep efkes, did I wonder?

Now all my technical problems (lighting, navigation) of the track were thought to be full. Very long I would not drive in the dark anymore, so that was a good idea! At the dawn, at times I had some difficulty concentrating. Yes, that's classically the hardest moment of driving through the night.
What followed was a major disillusionment ... Since it was my first LEL participation, I could not use one of my strongest weapons, such as parcour knowledge. I was expecting a slightly heavier course than during the train ride to St-Ives, but I did not expect the caves I had here. Due to my health problems this spring, even until the beginning of May, I thought to cancel my participation in the LEL, I had too little work done to analyze the trail thoroughly.

Soon I became aware of how even a strong Andy had not checked in at Great Easton at 3 o'clock. Have already been sitting alone all day, but I could not. The hellinkies followed fast at the last 20km for the Great Easton Primary School. As a result, I only arrived around 9am, which meant I only had a good hour left to finish the last 40km. Here it was all about me that the game was over to arrive within the 100-hour time limit.

Decided to eat something quiet, meanwhile I received a messenger message from Andy that he came in at 98:45. I wished to congratulate him and asked him if the last 40km was better than the previous 72km. He confirmed me and that gave me new courage. I predicted my suspicious arrival at 12 o'clock. He was planning to take a shower and put him to sleep in the school there. Meanwhile, two more participants entered the hall. They were still in a hurry, probably leaving for a later starting group last Sunday. They asked me if I did not want to turn around towards Loughton. First of all, I saw that, but when she was already 150 meters ahead of me in the first descending mileage, I was thinking about why I should go to the hole? My goal was no longer achievable.

Not that I tricked, but began to analyze what was going wrong. In other words, the movie of the past days and months, I started to roll my brain. What Andy just passed on, it seemed to be a bit milder, it was ideal cycling weather. I really enjoyed it. With the mileage approaching the London region, traffic was also slightly drier, sometimes a traffic light. I did not mind, the bubble was still soap ("Ollemalle after the Wuppe" would sing Wannes of the Sixth Metal).

As a result, I entered the school grounds at the Davenant Foundation School at 12.30. Was just a little longer than 2 hours for that stage. Concluding the conclusion that this would have been just an hour, I had to be involved with those two fast men.

So a head full of mixed emotions was my part. On the one hand, completely satisfied with the legs and condition of the past 2 days. I also enjoyed the fun in the UK last week. But on the other hand, too, a feeling has failed. Already considered positive, certainly considering the whole history! Meanwhile, much has been analyzed as to where it went wrong. Conclusion is very simple, "It's all coincidences, but it's what is is!" ("A set of circumstances, but it's supposed to be")

Conclusion:

Meanwhile, three weeks after the trip, I came to the conclusion. In view of all circumstances, I have to look back on my British adventure. The disadvantage of exceeding my proposed time limit is that my ride is not homologated, nor is it on the finishers list ...

Does not matter to me, but this does mean that I'm not in the running for the "Gran Brevetto Europe". Purpose is to drive such a ride for 4 years in different European countries (already had PBP in '15 and Mille Miglia in '16 ...) Still told Phil and Daniel to correct this practical problem, but it was hard and inexorable: "Out of time, is out of time", hopefully they read my story one day ...

Below, in random order, 10 reasons why I did not get it:

• Still not having a hub dynamo
• On top of that, the breakdown with broken headlight and unexpected GPS
• The problems with the GPS track after the second pass on the Humber Bridge
• lack of parcour knowledge and insufficient research in advance (admitted, a beginner error)
• The choice to go absolutely for the 100h. If I started at 9 am, I probably left for less than 100 hours ...
• The lesser form due to the health issues mentioned earlier
• The weather conditions: tail wind in the start were replaced by crosswind and on the last night a wind that did not want to fall
• The pictures and the fun, it's not a match and has already become 200% randonneur. The amusement competition always precedes the "competition"
• My 2 British colleagues who needed to keep a "streching break" last night
• Daniel De Nys did not have to be on my side like in Paris-Brest, listening better to him then at times Then to my wife = Again I do not apologize and see the fun.

Meanwhile, the first plans to drive in '18 Madrid-Gijon-Madrid are already breeding.
Be sure, with hub dynamo this time!

Grtz and thank you for reading,