Linked Events

• Autumn Rivers Audax : 07 October, 2017

Author Topic: Autumn Rivers 200 Audax - Belbroughton (Worcs) to Ross and Winchcombe and back.  (Read 2202 times)

Belbroughton - Bromyard - Ross on Wye - Winchcombe - Belbroughton.

The next Beacon Roads Cycling Club audax is just two months away on Saturday, 7th October. You may be interested.

There are no expensive fees, no headline sponsors, no goodie bags, no numbers, no gold standard times, no broom wagons and no pretending at the finish to have looked into the jaws of hell and survived.

The Autumn Audax is cycling at its best. It’s about a good distance in a day, riding at a sensible pace with good company, travelling through quiet and pleasant countryside in the orange glow of an autumn day before winter arrives.  The first third is relatively hilly as you cross the Abberley Hills and Bromyard Downs, after which the route becomes more gentle. 

The route for this event will change each year. The 2017 Autumn Rivers audax circuits Herefordshire and Worcestershire crossing some wonderful English rivers, passing through tranquil English wooded countryside on route. The route is lumpy for the first third with a few longish climbs but soon eases off after Ross-on-Wye.

The route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17226871

Entry and information: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/autumn/index.html

· Picturesque scenery
· Quiet country lanes
· Open controls where proofs of passage can easily be obtained
· Plenty of cafes and shops available at control locations
· GPS downloads
· Comprehensive and tested route cards
· Shower and changing facilities
· Free parking
· Light refreshments at the start
· Post event food at HQ
· 2 Audax Altitude Award points for 2,000m of ascent
· On-the-day validation of successful audax rides

Kind regards

Philip Whiteman
Organiser

[/size]
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

whosatthewheel

I am in, look forward to this!

It won't be too long before the entry system is closed for this event, as it is nearing its threshold.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Too late folks. This event is now full.

whosatthewheel

Excellent route, if quite a bit harder than I was expecting.The wind must have played a part too. I went round it pretty quick nonetheless, but I feel rather shattered now. The Chili con carne was very good and very welcome.

I now about to open my well-earned bottle of London Pride and collapse on the sofa  :smug:

That was my longest ride since a 300 last July and must admit I had serious thoughts of getting the train back from Ashchurch but plugged on and made it home. Very good route in the main although the road which has Stanford Bank on it did seem pretty busy traffic wise and there were still a fair few stretched out bunches but generally the motorists were pretty patient, I didn't hear any "road rage tooting" at least.

After Bromyard I must say the roads were amongst some of the worst I've ever ridden on in terms of surface break up and then later on there were some very good surfaces. I had a very fortuitous meet up with 2 other riders one of whom was towing his mate (Graham?) along, he was very strong and whoever you are, thanks for the brief tow just when I need it.

They stopped for a break just as the wind became proper head and then they caught and passed me again but I couldn't keep up on the small drags.

Most frustrating part of the day? Not being able to find the HQ at the end  ::-) , I didn't turn right at the pub and there ensued much backwards a forwarding until I found someone to ask.

Anyway, shower and a superb chilli later I was off home.

whosatthewheel

That was my longest ride since a 300 last July and must admit I had serious thoughts of getting the train back from Ashchurch but plugged on and made it home. Very good route in the main although the road which has Stanford Bank on it did seem pretty busy traffic wise and there were still a fair few stretched out bunches but generally the motorists were pretty patient, I didn't hear any "road rage tooting" at least.

After Bromyard I must say the roads were amongst some of the worst I've ever ridden on in terms of surface break up and then later on there were some very good surfaces. I had a very fortuitous meet up with 2 other riders one of whom was towing his mate (Graham?) along, he was very strong and whoever you are, thanks for the brief tow just when I need it.

They stopped for a break just as the wind became proper head and then they caught and passed me again but I couldn't keep up on the small drags.

Most frustrating part of the day? Not being able to find the HQ at the end  ::-) , I didn't turn right at the pub and there ensued much backwards a forwarding until I found someone to ask.

Anyway, shower and a superb chilli later I was off home.

Disagree... the lanes were not as bad... maybe you are used to bigger roads or less mud, but they did seem OK to me... didn't even get a Belgian tan, despite not using mudguards. Surface was pretty good throughout. No potholes to report.

Didn't find the stretch of road you mention particularly busy, but I was ahead on my own, so maybe easier for cars to pass me.
The only "sketchy" stretches were the A40 out of Ross and the A45 (or 46?), but they were both avoidable, using the side path, which I didn't, being a religious GPS follower... I assume those using directions were smarter.

There was a bit of a faff with the GPS track at the end/beginning, but I kind of remembered where the HQ was, so I got that one right. MAybe something for Phil to look into, not sure what that was about.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
Excellent route, if quite a bit harder than I was expecting.The wind must have played a part too. I went round it pretty quick nonetheless, but I feel rather shattered now. The Chili con carne was very good and very welcome.

You weren't alone there, we found it harder than we were expecting too. Tough first half with the hills and what seemed to be a perpetual againsterly. Second half turned out much easier though. An excellent route overall though, on a mix of familiar and unfamiliar roads. Chilli was just the job as were the scones. I think Mrs Dulates was regretting her idea of riding the 50k back to Telford afterwards though.

Disagree... the lanes were not as bad... maybe you are used to bigger roads or less mud, but they did seem OK to me... didn't even get a Belgian tan, despite not using mudguards. Surface was pretty good throughout. No potholes to report.

Didn't find the stretch of road you mention particularly busy, but I was ahead on my own, so maybe easier for cars to pass me.
The only "sketchy" stretches were the A40 out of Ross and the A45 (or 46?), but they were both avoidable, using the side path, which I didn't, being a religious GPS follower... I assume those using directions were smarter.

The roads in Herefordshire were appalling in terms of rough and broken up surfaces. No change there though. Shropshire has some pretty 'rustic' lanes but if I ever think they' bad I just have to pop over the county border. Lots of mud around too being apple harvest season. Noticeable improvement once into Gloucestershire.

Got caught by the level crossing in Hartlebury so the bunch disappeared in front and were on our own for the climb up to Witley and Stanford Bank (not fun on the tandem). A46 traffic is always busy. Worst driving award of the day though goes to the Corsa trying to overtake a small bunch just after temporary traffic lights on the way in to Bromyard, having got alongside then realised the oncoming traffic meant they weren't going to get past..

I had a lovely ride today and when I got back home I treated myself to leftover scones from yesterday!  :thumbsup: ;D

Which reminds me... thanks for a fantastic ride yesterday, Phil!  Hard work but worth it for the stunning scenery and especially that of the beautiful Wye valley.  Thanks to you and your helpers for the organisation and hospitality on a superb event. :thumbsup: