Author Topic: [LEL17] Why is LEL called LEL?  (Read 6832 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Why is LEL called LEL?
« Reply #25 on: 22 August, 2017, 01:02:53 pm »
How far south did the early editions go?

1989 & 1993 Potters Bar scout hut
1997 Harlow
2001 Epping Forest Youth Hostel
I'm sure 2001 was Harlow.

I may have got 1997 & 2001 the wrong way round.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #26 on: 22 August, 2017, 01:54:10 pm »
1997, was epping forest youth hostel. Rocco was there offering kind words in his own way!!!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 22 August, 2017, 02:31:41 pm »
Methinks LEL pre-dates most satnavs...

simonp

« Reply #28 on: 22 August, 2017, 03:32:24 pm »
I've seen scans of route sheets from that era that were basically a list of towns.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 22 August, 2017, 03:40:42 pm »
I've seen scans of route sheets from that era that were basically a list of towns.

Route sheets of that era were usually a tad more detailed (apart from 'Retrace to Mencap' - Gonerby - Doncaster on Bernie's Long FO 600km)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #30 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:01:02 pm »
1997, was epping forest youth hostel. Rocco was there offering kind words in his own way!!!
In 1993 the toilet in Potters Bar scout hut was blocked. Rocco, as AUK chairman, rolled up his sleeves and attempted to shift the blockage. Whatever words were offered to the plumbing, not many were kind.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #31 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:18:39 pm »
It was always Berard Mawson's intention to start in London eventually - hence the name - but it was more practical to start the first low-key low-budget edition in South Yorkshire.

For one thing Bernard not only ran the start and finish controls, but also Carterway Heads and Thurlby.

Anyone have route sheets or even better a gpx for the South Yorkshire start edition?

The routes that LEL has taken over the years have been shaped by the controls. The 'best' route between London and Edinburgh is open to debate, so I'll open a thread on it.

« Reply #32 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:43:54 pm »

I live in Sheffield, so the South Yorkshire start interests me as a possible DIY.

« Reply #33 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:46:18 pm »

I live in Sheffield, so the South Yorkshire start interests me as a possible DIY.

There'll be a permanent route for LEL, and you can join that at any point.

« Reply #34 on: 23 August, 2017, 07:20:28 pm »

There will be, or there is?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 23 August, 2017, 07:22:45 pm »
It was always Berard Mawson's intention to start in London eventually - hence the name - but it was more practical to start the first low-key low-budget edition in South Yorkshire.

For one thing Bernard not only ran the start and finish controls, but also Carterway Heads and Thurlby.

Anyone have route sheets or even better a gpx for the South Yorkshire start edition?

The routes that LEL has taken over the years have been shaped by the controls. The 'best' route between London and Edinburgh is open to debate, so I'll open a thread on it.
Be sure to also start one on
"What is the best starting point?"
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles