Author Topic: Where to buy a Halogen bulb  (Read 3946 times)

Re: Where to buy a Halogen bulb
« Reply #25 on: 18 November, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
I wonder....  a problem with LED retrofit bulbs in car headlights is that they are not easy to cool well enough; quite small increases in running temperature very greatly shorten the working life of LEDs.

Thus far I have seen LED drop in bulbs (in various H* formats) that make less light in a worse beam pattern than halogen bulbs, and little else.  I wonder whether this will really change, because there are some fundamental problems.

cheers

Re: Where to buy a Halogen bulb
« Reply #26 on: 22 November, 2017, 08:18:04 pm »
I did like my old halogen E6 lamp but it was a bit disconcerting on tight bends, because you couldn't see a thing outside the very narrow beam....
The E6 lens suits forward facing leds  better than most due to the lens, reflectalite have a picture of  one with of their non-universal style LED bulbs fitted, showing the sharp cutoff (I can confirm that): I can also say that fitting one of thier universal (side emitting) LED bulbs gives a wider but less sharply cutoff beam (because I think the side emission is forward of the side emission from a filament). Of course as the E6 has no BS6102/3 approval. but only Stzvo, fitting other than the prescribed  2.4W halogen presumably means its UK status is  reduced to an additional (non-approved)  lamp (the list of official bulbs for BS lamps was simply deleted from law....).  I also tried it with a 2.4W halogen which gave  a yellowy narrow sharp cutoff beam... :)