Author Topic: National 400 2018  (Read 12322 times)

Lee Killestein

National 400 2018
« on: 04 October, 2017, 11:49:20 am »
I've been watching the calendar on the AUK website but nothing so far...does anybody know if there will be a National 400 in 2018?

Re: National 400 2018
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »
The National 400 was held annualy from 1982 to 2005 then after a break reumed in 2012 and has run every year since.

Probably too early for it to be on the calendar yet.

This year entries opened in March.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »
I appreciate that it’s a little early but the National 400 is a BRM and I thought these events had to be listed at the start of the season? Last year it was listed well before Christmas. Entries didn’t open until March though.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2017, 05:54:12 pm »
The idea was to get the National 400 scheduled early. Not just for BRM registration but to allow other organisers to plan round it. Anyone coming in now to run it will have to fit round the existing events instead. Of course that's all dependent on finding an organiser in good time - one of the challenges of the peripetatic nature of the event. It was fairly late when I agreed to do the 2017 edition, so whilst we got the event on the calendar in time to book the date, I deferred entry until I'd had time to do some more planning.

I asked the Events Sec what the status of next year's event was recently. I got the reply that whilst there had been a degree of interest from potential organisers, none of them had come to anything. So the post is currently vacant.

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2017, 06:06:41 pm »
peripetatic

Nice one!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2017, 06:22:25 pm »
It would be a shame if it didn't happen in 2018. It is a good vehicle to get into longer distances and boost memberships and awareness of AUK.
The level of organisation required must be on a different level. There are umpteen 400-600 in the calendar and all but 2 are basically x-rated events, not very inviting for someone who has never ridden overnight. Those two are consistently oversubscribed. There is big demand!

I have a lot of friends who would like to try something along those lines... but LWL sold out in hours and there is nothing left.

Here's a thought: failing a National 400, what about a National 300? Significantly reduced workload and with an early start at 6 AM, there is basically no need for sleeping arrangements, as the last riders would roll in at 2 AM. Does it need to be a BRM? In a non PBP year it doesn't matter, does it? And for non AUK members it matters even less.

My feeling is that the calendar could do with more 300 rides. I would definitively do more if they were there. Ultimately 300, rather than 400 is the "step up" distance.  Most people have done one or two sportives or audaxes of 150-200 km, but never gone any further.

BTW: I was hoping to volunteer at next year National 400 to give something back... assuming it's not going to be held in Scotland

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2017, 06:35:17 pm »
I really like the idea of a National 300 .It would be a bit more doable for riders who have never gone beyond 200 and as you say easier to organize.

I have volunteered on two national 400s. Both times enjoyed the experience .

Having spent a lifetime suffering sleep deprivation due to the type of work I do I am happy to limit myself to 300km events or less.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »
It doesn't need to be a BRM.  And we've had a National 200 in the past.

Just call it a 'National' and find someone to put on a flagship event, and let them choose the distance.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

whosatthewheel

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2017, 06:58:18 pm »
It doesn't need to be a BRM.  And we've had a National 200 in the past.

Just call it a 'National' and find someone to put on a flagship event, and let them choose the distance.

Totally agree!!

Lee Killestein

« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2017, 07:24:33 pm »
I asked the Events Sec what the status of next year's event was recently. I got the reply that whilst there had been a degree of interest from potential organisers, none of them had come to anything. So the post is currently vacant.

Thanks, that answers my question perfectly. I was really looking forward to this year’s edition but had to DNS it due to a moment of stupidity. Hopefully someone will pick up the baton. A National 400/300 would be great!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2017, 07:26:22 pm »
Is it too late for a 400 already in the calendar to be 'upgraded' to the National?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2017, 07:29:28 pm »
peripetatic

Nice one!

One of the first google hits for this ... unusual spelling suggest what John may have been thinking:

My personal favorite is Kathryn Bigelow's Near Dark (1987), about a family of peripetatic vampires who drive around the back roads of Kansas and Oklahoma ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:29:39 pm »
I have a lot of friends who would like to try something along those lines... but LWL sold out in hours and there is nothing left.

Off topic, but why not just pick a perm with 24hr controls and ride that together?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:51:35 pm »

Off topic, but why not just pick a perm with 24hr controls and ride that together?
I guess because they were looking for more support than that. Plenty of 300s and 400s are available but all are x rated. While there are many controls that are open 24 hours, few offer decent hot food. Of course as a group of friends riding together they could make the night control one of their houses where they could rustle up some food and have a comfortable sleep.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #14 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:57:02 pm »
Aidan's Hot Trod is a decent 400 event - just the one manned control, but everyone hits it overnight, so it's a little bit of luxury. And it's a pretty fast route, mostly on quiet-ish main roads around the Borders and Northumberland.

And last year's macaroni pies were awesome. I had two (and I was only helping).

« Reply #15 on: 04 October, 2017, 09:01:10 pm »

I guess because they were looking for more support than that. Plenty of 300s and 400s are available but all are x rated. While there are many controls that are open 24 hours, few offer decent hot food. Of course as a group of friends riding together they could make the night control one of their houses where they could rustle up some food and have a comfortable sleep.

Granted, the National is very good in terms of support.  But LWL seems to be not as supported as that from the ride reports I've read.  Maybe a group perm would serve as the next best thing, in the absence of an actual National next year?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #16 on: 04 October, 2017, 09:10:48 pm »

Granted, the National is very good in terms of support.  But LWL seems to be not as supported as that from the ride reports I've read.  Maybe a group perm would serve as the next best thing, in the absence of an actual National next year?
There was a step change between 2016 and 2017 with a cooked breakfast available and the first control and included food at the 200km and 300km controls. It was certainly nice to have a hall to relax in rather than Newbury services, and I'm sure the slower riders benefited from hot food which would not have been available at the services at the time they got there. But I've never done the national so I can't compare. BCM is still a step ahead, is that sold out already? I'm certain that bcm was not as tough for me as either lwl attempt.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #17 on: 05 October, 2017, 06:18:36 am »
Of course I could gather a few friends and persuade them to ride 400 km collecting receipts and call it a Permanent, but it's hardly going to set the world on fire. People want "the event" and the National ticks that box very well. There was a very nice atmosphere last summer, I got to know people, it was nice to be part of it. I don't think a permanent is going to cut it... it is, after all, a long and glorified "weekend ride".

Anyway, I think it's clear the demand for TLC events is there

« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2017, 12:53:42 pm »
There was a step change between 2016 and 2017 with a cooked breakfast available and the first control and included food at the 200km and 300km controls. It was certainly nice to have a hall to relax in rather than Newbury services, and I'm sure the slower riders benefited from hot food which would not have been available at the services at the time they got there. But I've never done the national so I can't compare. BCM is still a step ahead, is that sold out already? I'm certain that bcm was not as tough for me as either lwl attempt.
Whenever the changes happened, they were in place by 2016, with excellent food a facilities all the way round, including a proper cooked Staffordshire breakfast.
Sadly missed this years and was also hoping they'd be a 2018 version.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #19 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:18:56 pm »
Whenever the changes happened, they were in place by 2016, with excellent food a facilities all the way round, including a proper cooked Staffordshire breakfast.
2016 was x rated. I've only done the ride twice, once in 2016 and once in 2017. 2016 (severn across) control was open at Chepstow and Membury services 2017 (London Wales London) control was hall at tutshill and hall at Lambourne

I was of course responding to the comment about lwl not being as well supported, as I have never ridden the national so couldn't comment.

« Reply #20 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:22:16 pm »
2016 was x rated. I've only done the ride twice, once in 2016 and once in 2017. 2016 (severn across) control was open at Chepstow and Membury services 2017 (London Wales London) control was hall at tutshill and hall at Lambourne

I was of course responding to the comment about lwl not being as well supported, as I have never ridden the national so couldn't comment.
Sorry, I thought we were talking about the National 400  :-[

whosatthewheel

« Reply #21 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:35:44 pm »

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the National 400  :-[

I suspected the Staffordshire breakfast was a bit out of context...  ;D

« Reply #22 on: 05 October, 2017, 05:19:01 pm »
Would it be possible to make an existing 400 event into the national for 2018 with more manned controls? Only having ridden 1 400 before (National 2016) I don't have experience of the less supported events nor which would lend themselves to this adjustment - just throwing an idea into the mix...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #23 on: 05 October, 2017, 05:40:32 pm »
Would it be possible to make an existing 400 event into the national for 2018 with more manned controls? Only having ridden 1 400 before (National 2016) I don't have experience of the less supported events nor which would lend themselves to this adjustment - just throwing an idea into the mix...

It would make sense...

« Reply #24 on: 05 October, 2017, 05:55:08 pm »

It would make sense...

If you're volunteering to work with an organiser of an event already on the calendar to source halls for a full TLC event then I have no doubt it will be welcomed.

Along with all the other volunteers that will be required and sorting out finance etc.

The only current 400 on the calendar with a night time hall for sleep appears to be The Hot Trod which is limited to 60 and might not be viable or appropriate to foist National status on an event unless organiser wishes to take it on.