Author Topic: Bike assembly time  (Read 5197 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bike assembly time
« Reply #25 on: 07 October, 2017, 10:36:29 pm »
Hi Kim. Where did you get your Mini work-stand from ?
The one that you refer to here :--

I do have one of those mini-workstand things that holds the bike upright with the rear wheel off the ground so you can adjust the gears

It's a "Revolution Tune-Up Mini Workstand" from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative.  They don't seem to sell them any more.

This looks similar, though the hook for the chainstay is different:  http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-mini-maintenance-stand/rp-prod155410

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 07 October, 2017, 11:11:22 pm »
Tools, but presumably the hackspace has them.

• Bottom bracket tool
  • Cone spanners
  • Pedal spanner
  • Allen keys
  • Torque wrench (plus bits)
  • Screw drivers (various sizes)
  • Chain tool
  • Cassette tool + chain whip

Anything else I've forgotten?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #27 on: 07 October, 2017, 11:11:35 pm »

I do have one of those mini-workstand things that holds the bike upright with the rear wheel off the ground so you can adjust the gears

It's a "Revolution Tune-Up Mini Workstand" from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative.  They don't seem to sell them any more.

This looks similar, though the hook for the chainstay is different:  http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-mini-maintenance-stand/rp-prod155410

Hi Kim. Thank you but that stand from Chain Reaction Cycles will not allow the trimming of the gears nor will it hold the bike/frame from moving about.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 07 October, 2017, 11:21:40 pm »

Hi Kim. Thank you but that stand from Chain Reaction Cycles will not allow the trimming of the gears nor will it hold the bike/frame from moving about.

Why not?  My Revolution one works exactly the same way:  The bike is supported by the non-drive-side seatstay/chainstay far enough from the cranks that the drivetrain can operate, hence you can adjust the gears.  I know this, because I've used it to adjust the gears on my bikes.  Agree that the overall stability isn't fantastic - roughly akin to a bike being on a kickstand - but it's a useful alternative to having to stand the bike upside-down.  It's small, cheap, and works with bikes that don't fit on traditional workstands.

I think the Revolution one's arrangement for holding the chainstay (a V-shaped channel, rather than a hook) is better, as it can sit closer to the crank without fouling.

« Reply #29 on: 08 October, 2017, 01:14:31 am »

As Kim says, of course you can use that one to adjust the gears.

I've got a Minoura one that is similarly a bit shitunstable, but works fine for gear adjustment when I can't be arsed to get the proper stand out of the back of the shed.

« Reply #30 on: 08 October, 2017, 07:57:32 am »
Tools, but presumably the hackspace has them.

• Bottom bracket tool
  • Cone spanners
  • Pedal spanner
  • Allen keys
  • Chain tool

J

Does not seem to be anything in the list for cutting cable inners and outers.
Also Torx drivers/keys if required for any of the components.

A thought that may help reduce the final assembly time/unexpected problems during the assembly and depending on where you are currently keeping the various bits and pieces, and that is to either trial assemble or pre-assemble some of the bits.  By trial assemble  I means try putting the various bits on the frame and then removing them - confirms that you have all the necessary bits and that the various threads in the frame are clean.  By pre-assembling I mean putting bits on the frame and then leaving them on - particularly applicable to bits that are not likely to be damaged, possibly the guide under the bottom bracket, brake calipers etc.

Possibly prepare a running list / check list to help ensure that you do things in a logical order and do not forget anything.  Can also be used as a check that you have the tools for each particular step.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 08 October, 2017, 08:11:17 am »
  • Bottom bracket tool
  • Cone spanners
  • Pedal spanner
  • Allen keys
  • Chain tool

J

Does not seem to be anything in the list for cutting cable inners and outers.
Also Torx drivers/keys if required for any of the components.

The torque wrench has some Torx bits. Only the brake discs use torx bolts, and I am seriously considering replacing them with hex head so that everything on the bike is standardised on hex. But I'm not sure about that yet.

I have a Park tool CN10 cable cutter.

A thought that may help reduce the final assembly time/unexpected problems during the assembly and depending on where you are currently keeping the various bits and pieces, and that is to either trial assemble or pre-assemble some of the bits.  By trial assemble  I means try putting the various bits on the frame and then removing them - confirms that you have all the necessary bits and that the various threads in the frame are clean.  By pre-assembling I mean putting bits on the frame and then leaving them on - particularly applicable to bits that are not likely to be damaged, possibly the guide under the bottom bracket, brake calipers etc.

I am likely to do this, definitely for the fork and the bottom bracket.

Possibly prepare a running list / check list to help ensure that you do things in a logical order and do not forget anything.  Can also be used as a check that you have the tools for each particular step.

Already writing it. Googling for assembly order is a fun one, no two lists seem to agree on an order. Which makes me think it's 90% personal preference.

J
--

« Reply #32 on: 08 October, 2017, 09:30:38 am »
I like to have a whole day, then is something isn't going right I don't feel any time pressure, it also offers the opportunity to ride and adjust, which I do before packing the stand and tools away.
I'm a bit fussy about cable cutting, even with decent cutters I'll use files (flat and small round) to make sure the ends are smooth and even.
Googling for assembly order is a fun one, no two lists seem to agree on an order. Which makes me think it's 90% personal preference.
Yes - I throw everything except the cables together without tightening, adjusting or greasing, partly because of my impatience to see what it'll look like complete and it'll show up any problems in the intended order.
Have fun

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #33 on: 08 October, 2017, 10:26:25 am »
Keep the disc bolts torx. The only time you will need to remove them will be if you need to replace wheel bearings or spokes.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #34 on: 09 October, 2017, 09:57:23 am »
Keep the disc bolts torx. The only time you will need to remove them will be if you need to replace wheel bearings or spokes.

yup I agree, although there is possibly some confusion over nomenclature

C - CSK socket head
D - Caphead socket head (allen)
E - Button head socket head
F - Hexagon Head

The torx bolts that are used to attach discs are like E, but with a torx socket  i.e. they are torx socket button heads.

If you try to use the screws above there are problems as follows

C - wrong head shape entirely. Torque rating on socket inadequate.
D - head too tall and will foul fork on front disc fitting. Questionable torque rating on socket for repeated use on discs
E - head the correct shape but torque rating on socket inadequate
F - head too tall (just, usually) for front disc as per D. Best torque rating on head.

I fit the usual torx screws (as per E but with a torx fitting that is at least +50% stronger than a 3mm allen key) or I fit 'F' having machined the head down for front fitment. The head is usually so shallow that the countersink on some sockets etc is too much and not every socket (or ring spanner) will work without the end being ground square.

The torx screws are normally quite reliable but if you do lots of work on bikes  you quite often get one that strips instead of unscrewing normally. The screws (on unmaintained bikes) often end up with more tension in them because of corrosion in the interfaces.

The force required to unscrew the bolt is partly friction in the threads and partly friction under the head of the bolt. When the fastener tension increases, so do the friction elements.  If the key fitting strips, and you have to grind the head off the bolt, it isn't unusual to find that the threaded portion of the bolt unscrews from the hub using just your fingers, once the tension is gone.

cheers

« Reply #35 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:23:57 am »

J

Cable cutters. Shimano Hollowtech preload cap tool.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:27:59 am »
Cable cutters. Shimano Hollowtech preload cap tool.

Cable Cutters - Got them, see reply further up.

Hollowtech preload cap tool is on my bottom bracket tool I think. It's a Park tool BBT-9.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:41:49 am »
About not having space at home, I know someone who is so pressed for space she keeps one of her bikes in the bath. But I don't think she's assembled a bike from scratch and of course you might not have a bath.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 09 October, 2017, 04:39:46 pm »

My frameset arrived via the nice friendly DHL driver today.

I've opened the box and extracted the frame from the packaging. Now looking at the steer tube I'm noticing a bit of a screwup on my part. Based on the photo from Genesis:

I was expecting something in the region of 100mm of steerer tube sticking out the top of the headtube. Hah. The reality is that it actually has nearer 300mm of steerer tube.

Which means that rather than having about 50mm to make up with spacers on the top, until I've decided what height I want, I would need nearer 150mm. Which seems implausible.

I'm now pondering cutting 100mm off the top of the tube, then doing another cut in a few months when I'm certain what size I want. Or getting my LBS to do same. Certainly puts a small spanner in the works...

J

--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 09 October, 2017, 05:16:09 pm »

Having fettled it a bit, my dry fit of the steerer assembly looks something like:

Which the right amount of spacers below the stem (according to my bike fit), but the headset isn't fitted properly, I think I want about 50mm chopped off at install time, and I'll cut the rest off after I've got a few km under my belt to be sure I have it right...

J
--

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #40 on: 09 October, 2017, 06:18:22 pm »
Just assemble it with the spacers you have, scribe the line around the fork steerer at the highest point you dare then cut it 10mm below after removal. Even the loosest assembly won't leave the steerer overlength when you compress the bearings. Plus it's good practice for when you make the final cut . . .

Just a thought, use an old axle to punch the star nut down the steerer before you cut it the second time. It will save you having to fit a second one.

Great colour!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #41 on: 09 October, 2017, 06:24:57 pm »
A biggly yes to this.
Torx are the future.

« Reply #42 on: 13 October, 2017, 08:49:49 pm »
I prefer to really take my time over it and be super-anal.

I've always admired that about you old chum.

« Reply #43 on: 15 October, 2017, 07:20:21 pm »
I prefer to really take my time over it and be super-anal.

I've always admired that about you old chum.

Well, if a job's worth doing...