Author Topic: Edelux 2 angle  (Read 1700 times)

Ben T

Edelux 2 angle
« on: 06 October, 2017, 11:11:48 pm »
My Schmidt edelux 2 seems to give the best beam and illumination with it at an angle that looks like it is pointing very slightly upwards. With it "straight" (looking) it only seems to illuminate the ground about a metre in front. Anyone else noticed this?

Re: Edelux 2 angle
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2017, 05:22:13 am »
Yup, that's how mine is too.

« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2017, 10:30:09 am »
I found the best way to adjust mine was to find a very dark flat road (it was tree lined) and the angle was whatever the angle was. That bike is at the back of the garage and I'Lloyd look when I get back from a rather nice tootle and café stop.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2017, 10:56:45 am »
The B&M IQ Cyo on which it's based is the same.

I don't think Schmidt develop optics; the old E6 halogen lamp used a Bisys lens, and rather good it was too, if you liked a narrow beam.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2017, 11:07:11 am »
The IQ and Cyo (latest Premium models) have a superbly designed reflector, when you angle it so the distant beam is about 50 metres down the road then it gives a very even spread of light, right back to the front wheel.  This takes some doing as there is clearly a constant fall-off of light required in order to avoid any "hot spots".

I never checked if the lights were level, I just twist them until the beam reaches down the road as far as I need. The angle is whatever it is.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2017, 11:20:25 am »
I set my lights so that the angle of dangle follows the STVZO requirement, which is not exactly precise as described here http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/stvzo/index_en.html#koplamp-richten

« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2017, 02:46:33 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 07 October, 2017, 04:22:20 pm »
Mine looks horizontal, but I do dynamically adjust it according to conditions.  I like to see well ahead in the dark, but no requirement on well lit roads where it is there more to be seen.

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2017, 04:46:22 pm »
Just checked mine, it's 4.5 degrees above horizontal. Not enough to see by eye, and it most definitely has the top of the beam cut-off well below the point of dazzling anyone.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:28:11 pm »
Yup, that's how mine is too.

+ another

Also depends where it's mounted, obviously if it's lower then it needs a more jaunty angle to get the desired throw.