Author Topic: carrying hot drinks on a bike  (Read 5674 times)

carrying hot drinks on a bike
« on: 16 October, 2017, 03:22:03 pm »
For a variety of reasons that add up to "special snowflake", I'm interested in carrying hot drinks on a bike.

My experience many years ago was that glass vacuum flasks (of the "Thermos" variety) were very good at keeping liquids hot (or cold), but delicate. A Kleen Kanteen acquired more recently is very robust (it appears to be all metal), but rubbish at retaining heat.

Have Thermos-style flasks improved in durability much? Any alternatives? Fitting in a bidon carrier would be wonderful, but isn't a hard requirement.

Carrying something like a Brukit is another option, but for now I'm just asking about something that will keep a liquid hot for several hours.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: carrying hot drinks on a bike
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:28:57 pm »
I used to carry a Wilko's half litre thermos in a bottle cage. Wrap an old inner tube around it and it fits very well. It's not delicate – I don't think any part of it's glass – but it's not the greatest of insulaters either. I don't do it now though, cos I've discovered cafes!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:33:56 pm »
An intermediate solution: insulated bike bottles

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:34:21 pm »
In Mah BELLEH
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:36:28 pm »
Ruthie wins today's internet!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:39:46 pm »
I've got a small stainless steel flask which i got from Oxfam.  About 1/2 pint.  Fits perfectly in the bottle cage and stays warm for ages.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:30:55 pm »
I have a Thermos King steel food flask, which I use for tea or soup - as long as you pre-heat it it keeps the contents hot for at least three or four hours. It wouldn't fit in a bottle cage, but it goes in my Carradice along with my sandwiches. As far as I'm aware it's all metal, so unlikely to break if dropped.

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:57:36 pm »
Stainless vacuum flask in my saddlebag has always been a good way of inducing jealousy among riding companions.

sib

« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2017, 05:04:11 pm »

Do you (or anyone else who cares to reply) have one of these? Will it keep something hot for a few hours?
[/quote]
No...I'm a tester and have my cup of tea at the end of (short) races  ;D
There are some product reviews on amazon.

« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2017, 05:14:51 pm »
I'm not sure you can get glass vacuum flasks any more.
Tea in a Thermos King 0.47 litre flask was decidedly tepid after about 6 hours of about 11°. Mind you, I had been slurping at intervals, which wouldn't have helped.

« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2017, 05:20:06 pm »
I have used the following:
Thermal mug with lid (available from various places from about £5-8) - link to Field and Trek: https://www.fieldandtrek.com/gelert-thermal-mug-787186?colcode=78718608
Works really well, drinks stay hot for ages and it's small and compact and will fit a bottle cage. The lid can come off, so not 100% secure in a bag.
Regular small (0.7l) stainless Thermos branded flask and mug (I bought mine from Wilko's but the same Thermos also pops up in Sainsbury's and Tesco). A bit taller and thinner than the one above, slightly larger capacity, separate mug, so perhaps a bit more convenient. Much better sealed - I have no qualms about carry it on the bike in a bag. Too narrow to fit in a bottle cage.
Contigo autostop (about 0.7l) works extremely well, has a locking mechanism, so is safe in the bag. Looks nicer than the Thermos and is a bit shorter and wider, so easier to pack. The external finish is a bit delicate, so not ideal for daily carrying - I use mine in the office.

On balance - buy a small traditional stainless steel Thermos flask and I don't think you can go far wrong.

« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:02:22 pm »
Am I showing my age.......

Anyone else remember the Bike - Buddy:

Used to fit about any flask / fuel bottle

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:09:08 pm »
An intermediate solution: insulated bike bottles
Those Camelbak Podium Chill bottles are OK for keeping drinks warm for a while. But they don't keep it properly hot. They would probably lost most of the heat after an hour or so.
Still better than nothing, if you want a warm drink on a cold day. But not as good as a proper flask.
There's also a Camelbak Podium Ice bottle, its supposed to be better insulation, not tried that.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:46:55 pm »
I have a Bike Buddy but one of the SS pieces has snapped. It was a little difficult to remove/ refit while riding but was fine while stopped.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2017, 07:45:25 pm »
I'm not sure you can get glass vacuum flasks any more.
Tea in a Thermos King 0.47 litre flask was decidedly tepid after about 6 hours of about 11°. Mind you, I had been slurping at intervals, which wouldn't have helped.

https://www.objectsofuse.com/products/table/red-thermos-flasks for trad glass vacuum flasks (though they seem to be out of stock right now)

Opening any flask repeatedly will kill the insulating properties, mind, but then if it's cold enough to warrant more than two tea breaks I'll probably be stopping at a cafe at some point anyhow...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:36:54 pm »
Am I showing my age.......

Anyone else remember the Bike - Buddy:

Used to fit about any flask / fuel bottle

Honourable mention to the Monkii Cage, which does much the same thing.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:43:25 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #19 on: 16 October, 2017, 09:00:49 pm »
I regularly take coffee with me when coaching rowing, if I'm just doing one outing (2 hours) I use a bodum insulated mug, if it's a double outing (5 hours or so) then it's a Sigg stainless steel flask.

Both are 4 or 5 years old and have bounced down the road a few times and have a few dents but are working well!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 16 October, 2017, 09:01:25 pm »
Ah, it's an older verdion of this Stanley mug, though Pingu's is much more sleek looking and less 'builder's bum'
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-0-35Litre-Classic-Handed-Vacuum/dp/B00G94T1CE?th=1
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #21 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:58:05 pm »
I use this Thermos "direct drink" flask [https://www.thermosonline.co.uk/store/Thermos-Direct-Drink-Flask-0-47L-Stainless-Steel/sp_887which fits okay in a topeak adjustable bottle cage but is also leakproof if you want to stash it in a bag.  The big advantage of this design is that you can open it and drink from it single handed.  It keeps drinks hot for several hours.  Lakeland also do a cheap copy which may also be worth a try http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16681/Lakeland-Sip-%26-Pour-Flask;jsessionid=ABBF9BCFACC2D8F6C5F911F8FA8F930D.app1
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Ben T

« Reply #22 on: 16 October, 2017, 11:01:53 pm »
I've tried just having a McDonald's coffee in a bottle in a cage but it didn't stay hot that long.

« Reply #23 on: 17 October, 2017, 08:15:58 am »
What's wrong with supporting your local Cafe network. Isn't the idea to ride out to back cafe and back? What use is the hot drink holder of you haven't got a cake holder to go with it? Although I did hear specialized was developing a SWAT cake holder and thermos holder with built in repair kit holder (AKA phone for your pick up call).

« Reply #24 on: 17 October, 2017, 09:37:54 am »
What's wrong with supporting your local Cafe network. Isn't the idea to ride out to back cafe and back? What use is the hot drink holder of you haven't got a cake holder to go with it? Although I did hear specialized was developing a SWAT cake holder and thermos holder with built in repair kit holder (AKA phone for your pick up call).
You try finding a cafe, let alone an open one, in the middle of the North York moors at 8am on a sunday. Or in the middle of the night (on the Whitby ride, we carried stoves to brew up).

There are places so wild and uncivilized as to lack 24hour cafes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>