Author Topic: Pogonophobia  (Read 6581 times)

ian

Re: Pogonophobia
« Reply #25 on: 08 December, 2017, 10:10:09 am »
Actually, when I say cultivated, if they're anything like the bloke I saw earlier, he'd just smeared his face in bostik and stuck it in a vat of assorted pube trimmings.

« Reply #26 on: 08 December, 2017, 12:09:24 pm »
Sometimes Mr Smith removes his and has a girl face.

« Reply #27 on: 08 December, 2017, 12:15:50 pm »
Was at a Jason Byrne gig the other week where one of the roadies had a full hipster style black beard. During the interval every time he stuck his head through the side curtains looking for the signal from the sound desk the stage lights made him look like he only had half a face.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #28 on: 08 December, 2017, 12:56:06 pm »
I was holidaying with Mrs Beardy PhD, when we had been married but 3 years. On a whim, I shaved my face without first obtaining the necessary work permits. I appeared in the lounge of our rented chalet, sans beard, and the good doctor looked up from her book to acknowledge my presence. The immortal words she spoke have been engraved on my heart ever since. 'You can grow that back again'. She returned to her reading, I regrew my plumage and it was never mentioned again. All has been harmony and happiness since.

The only regret of aging that I have is that my once distinct auburn facial hear is now nearly white. While this does makes me sad, it did lead an amusing encounter last weekend. We were visiting one of those garden centres that attempts to be all things to all men, with a variety of TQT on offer, and of course a Grotto for the coca cola man. this facility is not yet open. But while we were taking tea in the restaurant a person of small dimensions and few years (4ish) was being ushered out of the said facility while pointing wildly at I. The ushering parent was heard to be saying, 'No, that's not him, he's not here yet'  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #29 on: 08 December, 2017, 01:06:17 pm »
I was holidaying with Mrs Beardy PhD, when we had been married but 3 years. On a whim, I shaved my face without first obtaining the necessary work permits. I appeared in the lounge of our rented chalet, sans beard, and the good doctor looked up from her book to acknowledge my presence. The immortal words she spoke have been engraved on my heart ever since. 'You can grow that back again'. She returned to her reading, I regrew my plumage and it was never mentioned again. All has been harmony and happiness since.

I did that once, except I was reuniting my then girlfriend at the train station after several days apart. I was met with, "what the fuck have you done!? It's fucking awful."

Needless to say it never happened again. It may be regularly trimmed to a really very modest length (I look like wazizface with the ginger beard in Game of Thrones if I grow it out but without the (apparently) rugged sex appeal), but it's there.

« Reply #30 on: 08 December, 2017, 01:08:54 pm »
I've never seen my father without a beard.

A friend of ours grew one once. A certain amount of piss was taken to start with, as you do. Then he accidentally shaved it off due to an unfortunate incident involving not checking that his beard trimmer had the guard fitted before he set to work. Everyone laughed, and then told him to grow his beard back again as he looks much better with it than without it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #31 on: 08 December, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »
I have three children all in their 20s who are ignorant to what lies beneath my beard. I have no plans on ever enlightening them 😁
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 08 December, 2017, 03:12:11 pm »
That Mel Gibson looks bloody weird with a full beard.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #33 on: 08 December, 2017, 03:30:20 pm »
I have three children all in their 20s who are ignorant to what lies beneath my beard. I have no plans on ever enlightening them 😁
I'm 45.... I don't expect to ever see my father clean shaven.

Chris S

« Reply #34 on: 08 December, 2017, 09:58:13 pm »
Sometimes Mr Smith removes his and has a girl face.

Sometimes  ;D
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #35 on: 09 December, 2017, 02:24:50 pm »
(click to show/hide)

That is an absurd amount of facial hair. It makes me want to run. Run away. Very far away...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #36 on: 09 December, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »
Bloody hipster.  Bet he rides a fixed-gear bicycle.

Is there a Norfolk equivalent of "Hoxton twat"?  Hunstanton knob? ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #37 on: 09 December, 2017, 04:40:15 pm »
Do we class the trimmed beard style, sort of laughing cavalier image, as a beard or does it have to be the full works as in Royal Navy regulations?

Normally grow one in winter, but looks awfully scruffy as it is 3 colours, ginger moustache with brown and grey for the rest.

Oh, and is upper lip hair (moustache) required to be counted as a beard, or is that just varying degrees of weird beardness!

« Reply #38 on: 09 December, 2017, 05:02:59 pm »
My definition of a beard is that it is of a length or style that needs trimming with scissors. I use trimmers - any longer and the beard goes into Irish street-drinker mode and I have yet to see what happens beyond that. Some people don’t suit full beards and I suspect I am one of them.

I’m not sure if Wiggins suits his:

From the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/09/bradley-wiggins-rowing-olympics-tokyo-2020

Samuel D

« Reply #39 on: 09 December, 2017, 05:36:41 pm »
Per the Guardian article:

“He wears his hair long these days, and has grown a beard so bushy you would blunt scissors trying to cut it. He was sporting a thick white headband and a bright blue tracksuit too. It was an unlikely look. He might have been auditioning for the next Wes Anderson movie rather than a spot on the GB rowing squad.”

Sounds about right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #40 on: 09 December, 2017, 05:59:06 pm »
It makes him look a lot older and more likely to be drinking something from a brown paper bag.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #41 on: 09 December, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
Craft beer tastes better with a beard. Trufax.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #42 on: 09 December, 2017, 06:17:52 pm »

I know, I'm drinking one right now.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #43 on: 09 December, 2017, 06:45:33 pm »

I know, I'm drinking one right now.

:thumbsup:

That reminds me, I keep meaning to do something.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 09 December, 2017, 08:09:57 pm »
I am currently verifying this craft beardiness.

For bonus hipster points, a mango and guava pale ale, and a helping of heirloom variety popcorn (that I popped with deli-sourced Tuscan oil and herbs and sprinkled with pink Himalayan salt).

« Reply #45 on: 09 December, 2017, 10:06:38 pm »
Is there a Norfolk equivalent of "Hoxton twat"?  Hunstanton knob? ;)

Given he now lives Ooop North, it's worse. Hutton (Rudby) Hapless.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #46 on: 10 December, 2017, 01:44:02 am »
It makes him look a lot older and more likely to be drinking something from a brown paper bag.

He looks like he could do with some Ex-lax as well.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #47 on: 10 December, 2017, 07:53:36 am »
I feel a beard quiz coming on...

- anyone ?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #48 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:01:26 am »
Long, grey and white, definitely not hipster.

Next?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #49 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:20:35 am »
He looks like a barrel of laughs. John Knox?