Author Topic: Totally random unbelievable stuff from the place where you grew up  (Read 6534 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Totally random unbelievable stuff from the place where you grew up
« Reply #25 on: 08 February, 2018, 01:41:24 pm »
You're all doing it wrong.  The place where you grow up is supposed to be where nothing ever happens.

« Reply #26 on: 08 February, 2018, 02:02:24 pm »
You're all doing it wrong.  The place where you grow up is supposed to be where nothing ever happens.
So you can moan about it being boring and how you can't wait to get away from this place?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 08 February, 2018, 02:03:31 pm »
So you can moan about it being boring and how you can't wait to get away from this place?

Exactly.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #28 on: 08 February, 2018, 02:09:19 pm »
Well that sums up where I grew up. Everything that ever happened there happened a long time before me.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #29 on: 08 February, 2018, 02:10:16 pm »

Exactly.

I thought that I'd done a pretty good job of showing that in nearly 1,000 years my home town remains stubbornly boring and totally lacking in notoriety. 

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #30 on: 08 February, 2018, 02:24:53 pm »

I remember the circus, elephants and all,  parading past our house on it's way from the station (or the nearby goods yard) to the site near Fairway Avenue. That would have been the early 1960s.

5 weeks after I'd got away from the place (bonfire night 1975) a boy was eaten by a lion which had escaped from the circus.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

ian

« Reply #31 on: 08 February, 2018, 02:35:35 pm »
I quite enjoyed growing up (other than the usual stuff) in my home town. I suppose in some ways we were lucky. Schools were indifferent and low pressure and weren't striving to tick boxes to get themselves higher up a league table. I seriously had no idea I was clever (oh quite snickering at the back, I got certificates, even if I probably can't find them*) until I was about fourteen when one of the few decent teachers (Ms - defiantly Ms – Taylor, biology) pointed out the possibility. I didn't actually believe her at the time but then I was a teenager and blessed with the inalienable nihilistic knowledge of all teenagers. My parents, as lacking in aspiration as most of my teachers, didn't care either. They couldn't to this day tell you what I went to university to study. I dunno, when I see friends torturing their kids into academia, it all seems so joyless. All that work so they'll likely get jobs they don't really like to pay for two cars and a mortgage.

We could bomb about all day on our BMXs without the risk of ASBOs or the letters to the newspaper. We didn't sit around indoors staring at a screen. Our moral panics were satanists (allegedly sacrificing babies in the cemetery) and video nasties. Turned out that there were no baby-sacrificing satanists and watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I Spit on Your Grave didn't turn you into a serial killer. Nor, for that matter, did home taping kill music.

No one got too fussed if you went to the pub aged 15. Occasionally the police would move us on, sometimes they gave us a lift to the next pub. There was the town's pub crawl, to be attempted once a year. All twenty-two pubs (I'm sure there's fewer now) which was a serious drinking and logistical challenge (back then they opened at 6.30 and closed at 11pm).

Of course, it was shit in some ways. Everyone was unemployed, the final pit closed in 1986 and much of the textile work had gone abroad. Everything was coloured with xenophobia, most people didn't go anywhere. We used to go down Nottingham once a year for Christmas shopping, which always seemed an epic trip, but was an entire seven miles. I recently cycled it on my Brompton in a not very many minutes and to much incredulity. My mum once took me a coach trip to that most exotic of destinations, the Birmingham Bull Ring Centre. A day trip to Skegness was serious business. You always took your own food on a trip, food from otherwhere couldn't and shouldn't be trusted.

Anyway, I contrarized this thread with totally believable stuff happening and it being quite dull. Sorry, no one got eaten by lions.

*Stuffed inside my PhD thesis. Where that is, on the other hand...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 08 February, 2018, 02:53:48 pm »
I occasionally bump into people who grew up in the same place as me. "It was a good place to grow up," they tend to say, "but too odd to live in now." In fact I can't think of anything particularly interesting that happened there. We had a bearded hippy who became the first Green Party candidate to be elected a mayor (he was actually my mum's best friend's ex-husband). We had a mill that made the material in a special colour for the pope's robes and the Coldstream Guards. Nearby, we had a man who made oddly shaped bicycles and another man who walked to London with a cat and became Lord Mayor. That's about it.

The only thing remotely comparable with mr charly's place is that now Jaded and Flatus both live (near) there!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 08 February, 2018, 03:00:09 pm »
The only thing remotely comparable with mr charly's place is that now Jaded and Flatus both live (near) there!
Are you saying that Jaded and Flatus are comparable to Australian rednecks (and raise savage dogs)?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 08 February, 2018, 07:49:20 pm »
Are you saying that Jaded and Flatus are comparable to Australian rednecks (and raise savage dogs)?

I haven't heard anyone say that they're not.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #35 on: 08 February, 2018, 09:11:27 pm »
I think they found the skeleton of Richard III in some car park near to where I spent the ages of six to ten.

I remember being told (in conspiracy theory style) that he was buried in a Leicester car park. Didn't believe a word of it  ::-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:09:15 pm »
Oh and the 'big cat'! How could I forget that one? An 'escaped panther' or somesuch was seen taking sheep. Spotted multiple times. Finally a group of farmers spent days tracking it down and shot it - it weighed 60lb - sent it to university for identification and it turned out to be a gigantic domestic feral cat. 60lb!

60Ib for a 'domestic' cat seems unlikely. Norwegian forest cats are considered pretty enormous but generally up to about 8kg. 60lb is half a small human!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #37 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:11:18 pm »
Well that sums up where I grew up. Everything that ever happened there happened a long time before me.

That describes the village i grew up in. It gave it's name to a failed 1970's attempt at peace in northern ireland and had hosted the open golf but nothing since i was born.

« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2018, 08:37:41 am »
Oh and the 'big cat'! How could I forget that one? An 'escaped panther' or somesuch was seen taking sheep. Spotted multiple times. Finally a group of farmers spent days tracking it down and shot it - it weighed 60lb - sent it to university for identification and it turned out to be a gigantic domestic feral cat. 60lb!

60Ib for a 'domestic' cat seems unlikely. Norwegian forest cats are considered pretty enormous but generally up to about 8kg. 60lb is half a small human!
One of our farm cats weighed in at 28lb (measured by me picking him up and stepping on scales). He wasn't fat. Among other hobbies, he killed a fox once, and notably beat up (before it ran away, through a screen door) an Alsatian belonging to a visitor. So 60lb doesn't seem unfeasable.
Rangers up in Arnhem land are regularly shooting cats weighing 15kg. 
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2018, 09:33:12 am »
The world's heaviest (because fat) domestic feline was 18kg/40lb according to the Internets. I wouldn't want it to fall on me.

One of my cats weighs 3.5kg. This doesn't appear to impinge on her consciousness when facing down other cats.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 09 February, 2018, 09:41:10 am »
<Strokes one of his rabid dogs...>
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 13 February, 2018, 11:30:17 am »
ian, you are neglecting some significant factoids about your home town:

1.  It is home to the oldest pub (possibly)

2.  Travel there is the most interesting thing to do of an evening in the town I grew up

3.  It was not home to Robin Hood.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 13 February, 2018, 01:56:45 pm »
Nottingham makes up for lack of actual Robin Hood by naming everything after him.  I suppose it provides immunity to this sort of nonsense.  It becomes confusing when other places name things after Robin Hood, though, as they're breaking the system.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #43 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:01:39 pm »
It's the SHERIFF of Nottingham isn't it, Robin was from Loxley, wherever that it.
At least that's how I remember it, and I should know cos I'm a toxophilitist I am

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #45 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:47:39 pm »
There's a Robin Hood's Bed on Blackstone Edge above Rochdale.  If he actually existed, he got about a bit, but possibly never to Nottingham.  Robin Hood Airport is named after an obscure town planner, RH Airport.

« Reply #46 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:52:28 pm »
There's a Robin Hood's Bed on Blackstone Edge above Rochdale.

And in Stretford

« Reply #47 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:54:32 pm »
Doesn't surprise me; they're a shifty lot down there (I married one!).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #49 on: 13 February, 2018, 05:35:04 pm »
We would never say we're from Nottingham. Nottingham was a day out until we were teenagers and the twin sirens of drink and girls from afar appealed (to us more than them, I surely recall). Mostly all I remember of this period was the straining bladder on the last bus home. That and mooching around Selectadisk on the very rare Saturdays I wasn't cleaning up the fruit and veg section of the local Coop (my signature Saturday afternoon task, rather shockingly to today's youth, we packed up the supermarket and went home at 5pm).