Author Topic: Totally random unbelievable stuff from the place where you grew up  (Read 6492 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Totally random unbelievable stuff from the place where you grew up
« Reply #50 on: 13 February, 2018, 05:51:29 pm »
According to the local rag, a guy was seen shagging an Alsatian in the middle of the hilltop football pitch, but ran off* before he could be identified.

*the dog either ran off with him, or wasn't a grass.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #51 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:49:42 am »
10 miles from where I grew up, and a good 100 years earlier, at the place in Bedford where the Midland Leicester-Hitchin line crossed the LNWR Oxford-Cambridge line on the level, an MR train and an LNWR train collided. Both engines were wrecked and both drivers were killed. What is totally random and unbelievable is that both engines had the same number and both drivers exactly the same name.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #52 on: 14 February, 2018, 09:08:58 am »
Loxley

Barnsdale

There was no 'Sheriff of Nottingham' until the 16th Century

There is also a Loxley, with a Hall, just outside Uttoxeter, that also lays claim to a Robin of Loxley.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 14 February, 2018, 12:38:31 pm »
If I grew up in Burnt Oak (but I don't know if attending school from 14-18 'counts'), I could say that Jack Cohen had one of his earlier emporia in the area.
Its modern successor is closing on 14 April.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #54 on: 14 February, 2018, 04:00:32 pm »
Loxley

Barnsdale

There was no 'Sheriff of Nottingham' until the 16th Century

On the other hand, the 'Earl of Huntingdon' legend and a lot of other stuff, including the connection with Richard I and the seige of Nottingham Castle, was lifted from the life of this guy. Never mind Earl of Huntingdon;  he could have been King of Scotland
Jennifer - Walker of hills

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #55 on: 14 February, 2018, 07:36:21 pm »
10 miles from where I grew up, and a good 100 years earlier, at the place in Bedford where the Midland Leicester-Hitchin line crossed the LNWR Oxford-Cambridge line on the level, an MR train and an LNWR train collided. Both engines were wrecked and both drivers were killed. What is totally random and unbelievable is that both engines had the same number and both drivers exactly the same name.
There was a nasty one at Shrivenham near here, where a goods train broke in half and the next signalmam didn't notice the train had no taillight when it passed (which was an essential part of the job before track circuiting).  The guard of the goods train (who gradually coasted to a halt in his van, along with the rearmost wagons) was also a bit slow on the uptake and, by the time he'd got out and started running down the line to put down detonators, a passemger train arrived very fast and hit the wagons.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #56 on: 14 February, 2018, 07:49:29 pm »
I grew up in Moss Side, Manchester. Emmeline Pankhurst was born there.
Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy was also brought up in Moss Side and attended the
same school as me, Princess Road Junior School;
(although he was there a few years before I started in 1967).