Author Topic: KlickFix bracket extenders  (Read 2221 times)

KlickFix bracket extenders
« on: 27 February, 2018, 11:24:35 am »
My tourer has tiagra levers with side cabling. I would like to use a bar bag on tour but so far the cabling has proved to be a problem, which these extenders are supposed to overcome. Do these extenders work well? Is bar bag rotation an issue? TIA.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: KlickFix bracket extenders
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:22:59 pm »
I've used one for years and years without a problem. The standard bracket, even before the extender is fitted, incorporates a wire thingy that loops up and around the handlebar stem to guard against  rotation.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:24:25 pm »
I think it might depend on the bar bag you are using. The extender is not very tall so fixing a light (I assume that's what you are intending) doesn't extend it above my Carradice bar bag. It's better on Mrs trekkers Ortleib but still not brilliant.

I've used mine to mount the GPS off the bars which is about all I can use it for. The bag doesn't seem to rotate very much.

The solution I found in the end was to make the cable outers (and the gear cables) much longer so I could extend them around the front of the bar bag a bit better. Looks odd when the bag is not fitted though.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:36:17 pm »
I think it might depend on the bar bag you are using. The extender is not very tall so fixing a light (I assume that's what you are intending) doesn't extend it above my Carradice bar bag. It's better on Mrs trekkers Ortleib but still not brilliant.

I've used mine to mount the GPS off the bars which is about all I can use it for. The bag doesn't seem to rotate very much.

The solution I found in the end was to make the cable outers (and the gear cables) much longer so I could extend them around the front of the bar bag a bit better. Looks odd when the bag is not fitted though.
I think we're talking about different extenders. Mine is a spacer that pushes the bar bag forward from the bars by 30mm(?) or so, allowing (in my case) great big hands to rest on the bar tops without my fingers getting squeezed between bar and bag. I think that's what Canardly is after too. Your descriptions sounds more like a vertical thing.

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:48:10 pm »
Good to know thanks. I will order one.

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:14:36 pm »
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:23:52 pm »
Yes thanks.

« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:12:06 am »
I'm guessing the adapter to push the bag forwards clear of the cable is this one?

You might need a longer cable than is supplied with the regular bracket to stop the bracket (and hence the bag) rotating downwards.- but an old brake cable would do in a pinch.

My concern would be off-the-bike handling.  Even with the regular bracket and a bit of load in the bar bag, the extra weight forward means the handlebars flop about from side to side, the moment with the extension would make this a lot worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:20:17 am »
I'm guessing the adapter to push the bag forwards clear of the cable is this one?

You might need a longer cable than is supplied with the regular bracket to stop the bracket (and hence the bag) rotating downwards.- but an old brake cable would do in a pinch.

My concern would be off-the-bike handling.  Even with the regular bracket and a bit of load in the bar bag, the extra weight forward means the handlebars flop about from side to side, the moment with the extension would make this a lot worse.

That's the one I have. From memory the securing cable stays in the same position on the mount as before, so no need for a longer one.  I stop my handlebars flopping from side to side by holding them...
(Yes, using a barbag means I can't ride no handed)

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:23:26 am »
I'm not sure I've completely pictured what's going on here, but hasn't someone here used v-brake noodles to take the sideways gear change cables from the levers straight downwards, thereby providing room for the bar bag ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:26:24 am »
Like this.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2018, 10:00:03 am »
Yes noodles can be used, however the bike also has quite narrow handlebars.  As I have the rest of the KlickFix kit would like to be able to use it if possible.

« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2018, 01:15:44 pm »
Yes, that's my experience, it effects handling on and off the bike, on the bike I soon get used to it, off the bike it can catch me out, I've got into the habit of removing the bag as soon as I get off.
Other than that, it works perfectly, the bag is as rigid as on the standard bracket.  It also allows you to hold the bar behind the bag and makes opening/closing it easier if the fasteners are on that side. 

« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:58:34 pm »
Slightly off topic, but I broke my extender. I wanted to fit the bracket on my folder, but the spacing of the two mount points is just wrong, and they foul the Aber Hallo extension stem that I have fitted. I can fit the bracket, but it distorts enough to prevent the spring release from working properly.

So, I thought, I'll add an extender and it can take the distortion, then the bracket fitted to the extender will work properly. It didn't. I couldn't get the bracket onto the distorted extension. So I carved away bits of extension. Still no luck and, on one attempt to spring the bracket on, I broke the extension >:(

So I'm back to a post mount on the riser. Problem is, it has to be in just exactly the right place, or it fouls the fold ::-)

And when it's just exactly there, fitting the bag is awkward because the bars get in the way ::-) ::-)

But at least there's an unparalleled range of options, and one does mostly work :thumbsup: