Author Topic: Broken Dahon  (Read 6221 times)

Re: Broken Dahon
« Reply #25 on: 18 March, 2018, 11:55:28 am »
Guilty as charged
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #26 on: 18 March, 2018, 01:40:38 pm »
Surely that would mean it would fall apart when you stop at traffic lights?
Well, given that on Thursday it fell apart when I didn't stop at traffic lights*, what's the difference?

*The pot-hole (actually a slightly-depressed grid cover, I now notice) was at a pedestrian crossing. The lights were green though.

« Reply #27 on: 18 March, 2018, 01:42:56 pm »
send those photos to dahon with a short story and see what they say
I dropped a note to Dahon on Friday. I'll let you know what they do say. I'm not sure I could expect a warranty replacement on a 12-year-old second-hand bike. However, in my view they ought to be concerned at their frames failing.

« Reply #28 on: 18 March, 2018, 03:02:58 pm »
I do have a P6 with the titanium rear end. It also has a Son dynohub, an S bag and bike travel bag.
It is virtually unused, probably no more that 300 miles.
It has to go to finance a new forge.

« Reply #29 on: 18 March, 2018, 03:28:15 pm »
I'd be interested in rebuilding it on a new frame . . .
Torslanda

Sorry, I nearly missed this message amongst all the facetious ones. It does look as though I'll have a bunch of parts to get rid of - and I need the space for the replacement. I didn't really consider a rebuild, and you've given me pause for thought - but I think I've lost confidence in Dahon frames enough to think still that I want to move on. Also, the handlepost won't suit a modern frame, and I had to do some modest filing on the seatpost to make it move freely, so not sure whether that would work with a new frame.

Otherwise, though, the parts are as shown in that rather rough photo. You can see that I had the Dahon Ultimate rack and the Stash Box. The original rack is hanging in the shed too. MKS FD-7 pedals fitted - I've got one spare pedal (I broke one) plus the original standard rubber pair. Aber Hallo stem extension. Wheels are replacements (the original rims wore out) - front a Kinetix and rear just an ordinary upgrade with QR. Assuming I end up with a Brompton, I'd be happy to let that lot go for a donation to a third-world charity, if we can figure out how to get them to you.

Not to mention a couple of spare tyres, plus two winter tyres that I got on a heavy discount, ready for the next Beast from the East, on the day the bike broke ::-) , and a couple of gear controls that I never quite got round to trying. Those can go in Classifieds when I'm sorted.

« Reply #30 on: 19 March, 2018, 08:55:47 am »
Shame its not a steel frame.
You can repair those using magnets.

If it was an electric bike, you could use electromagnets...

Surely that would mean it would fall apart when you stop at traffic lights?
Always with the negative.
What is it with you? 
;)
You trying to induce puns?

Not currently, no.