Author Topic: HDMI switch?  (Read 1079 times)

HDMI switch?
« on: 24 March, 2018, 11:27:35 am »
Ive run out of HDMI sockets on the telly. There are 2 HDMI and 1 HDMI Arc. Going into the telly currently are a satellite PVR, a PS4 and an Apple TV.

The ARC socket is going to be used for a newly arrived sound bar which means I need another HDMI socket. Are there any pitfalls to using an HDMI switch and which of the PVR, pS4 and Apple TV should go straight into the TV rather than the switch?

TIA

Re: HDMI switch?
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2018, 11:48:56 am »
Does the sound bar have optical Audio. If not maybe have a look at an optical Audio to hdmi convertor.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #2 on: 24 March, 2018, 12:04:20 pm »
Sound bar and tv have optical socket....but if I use the ARC HDMI on the telly I can use the telly remote to control the soundbar

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2018, 04:01:01 pm »
I ran out of HDMI sockets on our telly, I bought a three way auto switch (which currently has only two devices plugged in).

The chromecast is normally powered up, so the switch feeds that through. If you power on the DVD player then the switch selects that as input.

I'm not sure how it behaves if 3 devices are plugged in! It wasn't very expensive and solves a problem.

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2018, 09:27:46 pm »
In the kids TV room, I have a generic Amazon sourced 3-way HDMI switch and it Just Works.

It will switch to the most-recently-used device, and if it gets it wrong, you just prod the button on it to cycle between the inputs.

So no, I don't think there are any pitfalls that I can think of.