Author Topic: Cyclist Hatred  (Read 3715 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Cyclist Hatred
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2018, 12:05:57 am »
As was said earlier today, elsewhere in this parish. 'WTF is wrong with people?'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2018, 07:08:09 am »
Partly assisted by grumpy old brexidiot, coffin dodging, Daily Hate reading gits and an upcoming local election Rugby Borough Council is considering asking the County Council to consider a total ban on town centre cycling.  All because of a few grumpy tories and a few exuberant yoofs on bikes.   

Dog shit, reckless and dangerous mobility scooter users and red light jumping motorists are of little concern ...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2018, 07:58:01 am »
As was said earlier today, elsewhere in this parish. 'WTF is wrong with people?'

Critical packing fraction exceeded. C.f. overcrowded rats, stir craziness, media-induced IPCRESS, etc.

Symptom: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/08/uk-living-rooms-have-shrunk-by-a-third-survey-finds
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2018, 08:10:42 am »
There's been a few such traps found up in the peaks as well, on the more well used paths that cycling is forbidden on.

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2018, 10:53:07 am »
I've seen a clickbaity picture appear on my bookface timeline several times, the usual old toss 'LIKE if you think cyclists shouldn't require a licence and road tax, COMMENT if you think they should'.

Depressing amount of anti cycling vitriol coupled with blatant misinformation therein.  :facepalm:

Equally depressing is our local council spending buckets of money on retrofit cycle lanes on pavements (complete with Give Way or Dismount points every 300 yards...) which will never get used, all while the general road infrastructure is crumbling by the week, further fueling the hatred.

Chin up, stiff upper lip and all that.... It's getting exhausting.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2018, 01:32:29 pm »

Majority of the human race should be smitted by a vengeful god.  From St Pauls letter to the arseholes that never write back.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2018, 01:35:56 pm »
I've seen a clickbaity picture appear on my bookface timeline several times, the usual old toss 'LIKE if you think cyclists shouldn't require a licence and road tax, COMMENT if you think they should'.

Depressing amount of anti cycling vitriol coupled with blatant misinformation therein.  :facepalm:

Equally depressing is our local council spending buckets of money on retrofit cycle lanes on pavements (complete with Give Way or Dismount points every 300 yards...) which will never get used, all while the general road infrastructure is crumbling by the week, further fueling the hatred.

Chin up, stiff upper lip and all that.... It's getting exhausting.

I have been driven at and told that I should be on the cycle path.  Pointing out the highway code seems to do nothing.   

Driving recently, I got sworn at because there wasn't enough space to overtake a cyclist safely so I didn't and kept a safe distance behind the cyclist till I could.  I am such a bastard.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2018, 01:37:05 pm »
There's been a few such traps found up in the peaks as well, on the more well used paths that cycling is forbidden on.

Few wires across the paths at head height for offroad motorbikers. 

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2018, 03:24:32 pm »
Some people just need someone to hate.

Classic othering. It's no longer socially acceptable to outwardly and publicly hate women, people of color, people with disabilities, gay people... but cyclists? No one going to call you out for that.

« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2018, 10:54:37 am »
Two words come to mind - Brain Dead

« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2018, 10:02:08 pm »
I had an enjoyable evening in the pub at the weekend arguing the case with an anti-cyclist.  When we got to the point where he fell back on the road tax argument I didn't deny it.  I just pointed out that I also owned a car and paid road tax, and that as I used my bike in place of the car on occasion I wasn't getting full value for my road tax, and that consequently I was actually subsidising his car tax.  Tee Hee.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2018, 08:21:29 am »
I had an enjoyable evening in the pub at the weekend arguing the case with an anti-cyclist.  When we got to the point where he fell back on the road tax argument I didn't deny it.  I just pointed out that I also owned a car and paid road tax, and that as I used my bike in place of the car on occasion I wasn't getting full value for my road tax, and that consequently I was actually subsidising his car tax.  Tee Hee.

Point out that he should be thanking you for not using the car more.

I use the I pay more road tax on more and bigger vehicles than you, so therefore I want more of the road.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2018, 09:36:22 pm »
After a recent pothole-infested ride I had the thought that I could point out to the next person trotting out the 'road tax' argument that they weren't doing a very good job of it/weren't paying enough, as could be seen by the parlous state of the roads.  ;D
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #14 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:03:24 pm »
Just finished a shopping trip to Sainos, paid and left, going through the anti-shoplift detectors.
In the lobby beyond, I placed my bag on the give-us-your-spare-cat-food bin, removed the Brompton from my trolley, assembled it and attached the bag.
As I left the lobby, someone triggered the anti-shoplift alarm.
Security bod comes running out... 'Scues me Sir! 'Scues me Sir!'
Which I ignored and carried on walking.
'Sir! Please! 'Scuse me. Stop!'
I turned round, looked him in the eye and said 'It wasn't me that triggered it'.
Security bod - 'Whhhh...????'
'I said that it wasn't me that triggered it'.
'But, but you have bike......'

I ignored him.