Author Topic: WPA vs WPA2  (Read 969 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
WPA vs WPA2
« on: 18 May, 2018, 06:09:07 pm »
As mentioned in the rant thread, I have an old Wifi to Ethernet converter. This gives me four Ethernet ports where they'll do most good and connects to my router via Wifi.

I finally worked out why I couldn't get it to see my new wireless network - it speaks WPA and the new router defaults to WPA2.  Tweaking the router settings so it was also using WPA and all was well.

Question: How less secure is WPA than WPA2?  I'm using AES rather than TKIP.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: WPA vs WPA2
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2018, 06:38:01 pm »
WPA is crackable WPA2 theoretically isn't. If this is a hospital, otherwise sensitive or high stakes commercial then you don't go near WPA. For private use then it depends on how paranoid you are. Really MI5 or Mosad isn't sat in van outside your house trying to break into your WiFi. It takes about 10 hours to crack WPA with a normal PC so unless there is a real reason to do so no one is going to bother.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2018, 08:29:48 am »
That's great thanks. I'll worry about something else.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2018, 08:44:19 am »
I had a colleague who had got the cracking of a WEP password down to 10.4 seconds using an array of PlayStation 2s. He was most disappointed because to get his badge at Vegas Black Hat he needed to get it under 10 seconds. Black Hat, and the whole cyber security scene have changed massively since those days and its all very much more mainstream
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.