Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 864806 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5100 on: 15 February, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »
Have just placed orders for a Shimano DH-T785 dynohub and a Stan's Grail ZTR rim, plus XT Saint rotor. Once the rim and hub have arrived, I'll measure up and put in an order for spokes.

Next item on the shopping list is an Igaro D1.

Also need to find a suitable handlebar bracket for the light (which I already have). Annoyingly, the nice Schmidt ones that SJS sell are for narrow bars,

Very soon, though, the best bike will be truly summer-audax-worthy (if only it could take mudguards, it would be a great year-round bike).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5101 on: 15 February, 2017, 05:11:28 pm »
It's lovely but why would you buy something that old to give it an even harder life?

I'm after a bike that is 'different' from the rest, that is cheap, in good condition, and that is fairly lightweight (531 steel or similar) .... I will add a Son dynamo hub/lights, rack, pannier bags etc and use it for long audax rides

I have fast new bikes (S-Works and Giant TCR), so am looking for something fairly cheap.... I'd love a Koga Miyata but I cannot find one in my size/budget that has eyelets for mudguards/racks (I used to own a Koga Miyata Roadchamp and it was brilliant)  .... I'm also looking at the older Peugeot PX10's or similar .... hoping to get something by the end of the weekend

Where are you? - the charity bike shop where I volunteer has (or did have yesterday) a couple of possibles.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #5102 on: 15 February, 2017, 05:14:38 pm »
Having finally pensioned off my 2005 Giro Pneumo helmet I have been using a Spiuk helmet - but realised today that was what was making my neck ache (it seems to sit lower on my head than the Pneumo)

Ordered a Giro something or other which is supposed to be the current Pneumo equivalent (and used a 10% voucher from Tredz :thumbsup:)

Rob

dim

« Reply #5103 on: 15 February, 2017, 08:12:42 pm »
It's lovely but why would you buy something that old to give it an even harder life?

I'm after a bike that is 'different' from the rest, that is cheap, in good condition, and that is fairly lightweight (531 steel or similar) .... I will add a Son dynamo hub/lights, rack, pannier bags etc and use it for long audax rides

I have fast new bikes (S-Works and Giant TCR), so am looking for something fairly cheap.... I'd love a Koga Miyata but I cannot find one in my size/budget that has eyelets for mudguards/racks (I used to own a Koga Miyata Roadchamp and it was brilliant)  .... I'm also looking at the older Peugeot PX10's or similar .... hoping to get something by the end of the weekend

Where are you? - the charity bike shop where I volunteer has (or did have yesterday) a couple of possibles.

Rob

I'm in Great Shelford, but am popping into Owl Bikes Charity shop in Pampisford tommorow morning to have a close look at what's available (I've bought a few bikes from them before)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Samuel D

« Reply #5104 on: 15 February, 2017, 08:33:50 pm »
A trio of these classic Michelin tyre levers (probably discontinued but still available in a few places). Let’s see if they’re as good as claimed there.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5105 on: 15 February, 2017, 09:15:46 pm »
A trio of these classic Michelin tyre levers (probably discontinued but still available in a few places). Let’s see if they’re as good as claimed there.

i've used these in the past, they are ok if a bit flexy; i prefer levers that have a hook for the spokes (actually, when possible, i choose tyres/rims that don't require levers at all).

« Reply #5106 on: 16 February, 2017, 07:41:38 am »

i've used these in the past, they are ok if a bit flexy; i prefer levers that have a hook for the spokes (actually, when possible, i choose tyres/rims that don't require levers at all).

I like that shape of lever, but was introduced to it over 20 years ago with a set of purple Wheelsmith levers. The WS levers are less flexy than the Michelin ones, but one has broken, and my remaining two have worn a little - I've never seen another set to buy.

My (currently available) choice would be Schwalbe - and they do hook onto the spokes, though I don't think I've ever done that.

robgul

« Reply #5107 on: 16 February, 2017, 08:21:48 am »

I like that shape of lever, but was introduced to it over 20 years ago with a set of purple Wheelsmith levers. The WS levers are less flexy than the Michelin ones, but one has broken, and my remaining two have worn a little - I've never seen another set to buy.

My (currently available) choice would be Schwalbe - and they do hook onto the spokes, though I don't think I've ever done that.

Another vote for the Michelin yellow ones - I must have about 6 sets - all bought from Decathlon.   Continental did supply a similar set of levers (in orange obviously) with their better quality inner-tubes for a while but they were complete rubbish - no stiffness, just bent as you pulled over the rim :hand:

BTW - Decathlon now have an own brand lever that works as well as the Michelins - a bit of shape to them, but they work well.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5108 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:35:18 am »
Did a bit of measuring just now: reach on the no-longer-comfortable Ti warhorse is 2 cm longer than on my very comfortable Trek, so I've just ordered a new stem + shallow-drop bars for the Ti.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5109 on: 17 February, 2017, 05:19:46 pm »
Not exactly today but a real score. Most of a Giant OCR3 for fifty quid!

No special favours, a customer listed it on a facebook cycling group and, knowing the bike to have been well kept, I couldn't resist. I haz road bike . . .

Tors, can you define 'Most of'? Though I guess even if the wheels are missing £50 could still be bargainous.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5110 on: 18 February, 2017, 09:53:31 pm »
56cm frame with carbon forks, headset, braze-on adapter, mech hanger, Tiagra brakes, under-bracket cable guide, seatpost shim, BB & cheap chainset. 50 quid.

Already had some DT Swiss R1900, Giant branded wheels. Added bars, stem, Tiagra 4400 STi, 6500 Ultegra mechs, carbon post and a Rolls saddle, Michelin Lithion 25mm tyres, 12-25 cassette, some dark blue Deda bar tape and a bling gold Taya 9 speed chain- the only part I actually had to buy - clearance from my wholesaler.

If I can ever get picture hosting to work again I'll put some images on . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #5111 on: 18 February, 2017, 10:04:36 pm »
Now is the time for discounted winter clothing. I slipped in for a couple of jackets from Evans.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5112 on: 19 February, 2017, 09:42:43 am »
And cheap camping equipment?  Now is the winter of our discount tent...

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

« Reply #5113 on: 19 February, 2017, 05:43:08 pm »
And cheap camping equipment?  Now is the winter of our discount tent...

There used to be an outdoor shop here in Stratford-upon-Avon that used that as a slogan every winter when they were flogging stuff off.

Rob

dim

« Reply #5114 on: 20 February, 2017, 07:41:54 am »

Rob

I ended up getting something totally different .... snapped up this vintage Holdsworth for £185 plus £45 shipping cost ... made of 531, has a comfy Brooks saddle, and looks to be in reasonable condition

I should receive it by the weekend, and will do a 100km ride .... I have a set of Continental 4 seasons that I will fit. If I'm comfortable with this one, I will add new mudguards, dynamo lighting, new bartape etc and a back rack/pannier bags and use this for long audax rides

I really wanted this Harry Hall, but it is above my budget and the wife said no .... a bargain IMHO:.... its still not sold (£450 or best offer).... I will live to regret it :-[

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122339303043?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5115 on: 21 February, 2017, 11:15:19 pm »
Finally picked up my £25 Dahon e-bay win

Needs some TLC, will assess over the next few days or so.  Expect some  parts required.  I know for a start that the handlebar fold is needing attention.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5116 on: 23 February, 2017, 07:59:34 pm »
I picked up my CyclePlus scheme purchase today! A 2017 Cube Attention 29er in 21" frame size.
Here it is being tested by my glamorous assistants.  ;D

Just 76 weeks payments left to go...   :P

« Reply #5117 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:36:41 pm »

£26.

« Reply #5118 on: 25 February, 2017, 01:44:39 pm »
Brompton C bag.
Unsuitable for Brommies with S bars, so I'll shortly be taking a hacksaw to the handle on this one.
Handle to be replaced using a Cordura / textile strap handle which, for the moment, is still in my branes.
Pics to follow.

dim

« Reply #5119 on: 14 March, 2017, 11:32:48 pm »
my new (old) bike .... this one will be set up for audax .... I was really after a peugeot PX10 or a Koga Miyata, but could not find one in my budget range or my size and ended up getting this Peugeot Competition for £100 plus £30 shipping

looks ok and it's my size .... 531 Reynolds, I will add a handlebar bag, dynamo hub, new tyres, mudguards and hopefully it will serve me well ... sadle looks good quality, and if I get on with this bike, I will have it fully restored and upgrade the groupset

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5120 on: 14 March, 2017, 11:35:29 pm »
Beware the possibility of French threads.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5121 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:40:46 am »
Some new tyres and bottle cages from Planet X, awaiting the return of my bike from the respray.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5122 on: 15 March, 2017, 11:33:41 pm »
Beware the possibility of French threads.

Racing bloody certainty, more like! Over BB cable routing, 70s. Peugeot branded chainset, the pedals are more than likely M14.

If you want a bike for Audax & general hard work, this one will need regular trips to ebay & jumbles to get replacement bits for.

Check out a facebook group called Vintage Bicycles Holland, more Kogas than Heinz varieties plus Colnagos, Diamants, Gazelles. Arthur is a nice guy and speaks perfect English.

Put the Peugeot back on ebay, use the magic word 'l'Eroica'. It' will add farsands...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5123 on: 28 March, 2017, 08:17:37 am »
Bought nowt, but rather sold my unwanted Surly LHT for 850 € which, considering that it consisted of a 2011 frame received as a gift plus a bunch of entry-level and recycled components (apart from the Brooks Creakmeister Flyer, which I was glad to see the back of), was a fair return on investment.

Now I need somewhere else to hang my stock of punctured inner tubes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5124 on: 02 April, 2017, 10:53:29 pm »
Purple oversocks! :thumbsup: