Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865269 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5275 on: 02 September, 2017, 05:03:48 pm »
A Blackburn Airstick 2 track pump and a B&M IQ Cyo N Plus front light.  The local bike shop/cafe Bicis Y Mas are closing down so I got them in the sales.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5276 on: 02 September, 2017, 06:48:22 pm »
Yesterday, three new 28 mm conti up 4 seasons

Today need a new front mech,
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5277 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:13:00 am »
front mech now bought, after the relevant thread asking about selection went as far off topic as to start discussing the value of electronics in modern cars.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5278 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:39:13 am »
Shimano HG53 chain.  It appears the chain on our tandem has always been 3 or 4 links short since new, which may explain some of the shifting difficulties prior to the "derailleur/spoke interface incident".  New mech,  new chain so far.  Possibly a new cable required too but I'm trying to put that off.

dim

« Reply #5279 on: 25 September, 2017, 11:15:51 am »
a set of tubeless tyres ... 2017 IRC Formula Pro RBCC

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5280 on: 25 September, 2017, 11:57:43 am »
Some new club kit, a pair of Giro Rumble mtb shoes in the ongoing Bicis Y Mas closing sale, plus a new chain for the Pompino on Wig Reaction just now.  Ouch, my wallet hurts.

« Reply #5281 on: 25 September, 2017, 02:04:25 pm »
A helmet for insurance and wife pleasing purposes, and frankly some of the descents on my new commute are terrifying in the wet as I discovered today.

Also a Castelli Gabba Long sleeve, in the mythical 3XL, reduced and it fits.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5282 on: 25 September, 2017, 07:49:19 pm »
club jersey and socks, a truvativ/sram chainset with the swappable spider, a fsa headset bearings to replace the ones that started creaking after only 30,000+ km ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5283 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:53:01 pm »
Some bargain M+ tyres and some cheap lightly used (all studs intact) Nokian W106 Hakkethingummyjig tyres which will guarantee zero snow this winter.  Won't have winter tyres for the new car, y'see - it may not show up until the ebd of Janyary, so they can wait until next year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

dim

« Reply #5284 on: 03 October, 2017, 06:43:16 am »
a pair of tyres for my daily commuter:

Vittoria Open Pave CG III

« Reply #5285 on: 03 October, 2017, 07:54:02 am »
two wheels' worth of Paul Neo Retro brakes, to install on a tandem which is barely ever ridden, "just because" a clubmate offered them up for sale.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5286 on: 05 October, 2017, 07:42:53 pm »
Conotrane, and a space blanket to replace the one that got used in this incident.

« Reply #5287 on: 06 October, 2017, 05:22:29 pm »
Adhesive Park Tools patches and a 32mm Panaracer Gravelking SK* for the rear of the Disco to replace the shockingly worn out Schwalbe S One.
It (the S One) had done 5000+ miles so I can't complain. A "Jureking" of the tyre revealed that the tread was quite loose on the casing in a number of areas. When inflated it looked fine, deflated it was in disgraceful condition. I swapped it with a spare Marathon Extreme for the Chocolate Cafe ride last Saturday. Ride leader punctures are bad enough at the best of times, a puncture on a knackered tyre is too embarrassing to contemplate.
I chose the GK SK after reading good reviews and the experience that Helen has had with a 26mm GK on the back of her Burls; ~4000 miles with no reason to remove the tyre (IYSWIM) and there are only a few minor cuts in the tread.
The GK SK went on fairly easily (Velocity Aleron rims). Which is nice. If I can find my calipers (they're somewhere "safe"), I'll measure their width.
Great value with my discount from the LBS and they're tubeless compatible up to 4 Bar although I'm not ready to repeat that particular experiment yet.

To sum up: Yes, some patches and a tyre.

*Small Knob. Seems appropriate.

« Reply #5288 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:40:24 pm »
Flights to Majorca and back (though they're not until April). :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5289 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:25:18 am »
An extra 2.4 kW heater for the workshop so as not to freeze onto the tools this winter.  Already have a gas heater but an 80 m³ concrete box takes a lot of heating.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5290 on: 15 October, 2017, 09:24:08 pm »
Quite a bit this past weekend. A replacement carbon fork and a pair of tyres for HK's Roberts, five 406 Moulton tyres, two 369 Moulton tyres for Aussie George, SA5 thumbshifter and a dynowheel for an old Brompton, handlebar tape x several for various machines and a pair of tyres for my Frezoni.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5291 on: 27 October, 2017, 07:15:10 pm »
A Kona Project Two fork of the correct geometry turned up for the Cinder Cone frame, which is going to be a faster and more stylish summer commuter than the On-One Inbred, which needs a full overhaul after 9 winters and only 7 cleans.  The Inbred is super-reliable and low maintenance but is rather heavy and no particular fun to ride, because you can't jump it off kerbs (the super-long SA rear axle is poorly supported and nigh-on irreplaceable) and the coaster hub is a bit stodgy.

The Cinder Cone will basically be a straight '92 MTB, with parts recycled from the Fire Mountain, fat M+ tyres and a closer-ratio cassette.  Since the mudguards give most of the trouble on my bikes (they always break after a year or two) and don't stop your feet getting sprayed anyway, I'll try the Crud Racer set.  This gives enough clearance to fit studded tyres for the snow and ice.  I used the Fire Mountain extensively for commuting in the summer and it saves a fair bit of time, being able to take short cuts across grass and off kerbs.

But there's a '94 Kilauea to build up first, as a proper 90s MTB.  That one's going to be really good fun round the local purpose-built singletrack.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5292 on: 31 October, 2017, 02:38:15 pm »
2 x 50t chainrings, one (11sp) for the summer bike (which will shortly be getting taken to pieces for the winter) and one (10sp) for the winter bike.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5293 on: 31 October, 2017, 02:59:01 pm »
A fair bit recently.
Campag 10sp brake hoods, both new and old pairs for HK's Moulton and Roberts
Shimano old Ultegra brake hoods for my trike
Tektro RX5 mini-V-brakes x 2 for spares
Jtek downtube cable stop for my trike
1" star nut for HK's Roberts
Brompton rack shock cord x 2
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5294 on: 31 October, 2017, 04:50:56 pm »
Just back from Decathlon with Shimano cyclotouring shoes, overshoes & cleats for same.

Wretched place was festooned with cackling electronic witches, plastic spiders and imitation webs that got hooked up in the Velcro & was a bugger to get rid of.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5295 on: 31 October, 2017, 08:55:13 pm »
A spoke...............

dim

« Reply #5296 on: 01 November, 2017, 09:08:46 am »
One of these.... A Canyon Endurace AL that I will setup for longer Audax rides and daily commutes  (it already has the compact chainset and long rear derailier, and I will add an 11-32 Cassette (or similar), dynamo lighting, crud mudguards, Apidura bags and light tubeless ready wheels)

« Reply #5297 on: 01 November, 2017, 11:35:06 am »
Ooh, very nice. Dura-Ace on a commuting bike! :o

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5298 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:45:39 pm »
A new crank arm for the SS. Hopefully this one won't try to fall off like the current one. Whether I will be able to tolerate having non-matching cranks, however, I'll have to see.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5299 on: 15 November, 2017, 08:07:23 am »
Two very cheap pair of gloves, two almost as cheap inner tubes, and a small pump from Decathlon.  I needed some thin cheap gloves, and Decathlon do some for £0.99 a pair.  I'm down to one spare inner tube, so I thought I'd see how much Decathlon charged, and they had packs of two for £2.50.  :o  The small pump isn't quite up to the standards of a Road Morph, but seems quite reasonably speced for a mere £14.99.  It has a flexible hose, and pressure gauge, as well as unfolding handle.  About the only thing it lacks, which would be nice, is a foot "stirrup", but that's rare even on far more expensive pumps.

Since I noticed my rim is failing, a new pair of wheels, in red for the commuter.  I didn't particularly want red, but it'll make a change from the normal black or silver, at least until road grime obscures the colouring.

Also, a spare tyre, in case the reason for my recent spate of punctures is that the tyre has become too worn, and a Crank Bros pedal refresh kit, because it's far cheaper than the cheapest set of Eggbeaters I can find at the moment.  Since I need to pick up the tyre from Evans in Wimbledon, which I can easily do on my enforced public transport commute, and Evans seems to be the cheapest for the refresh kit, I can save even more with their store pickup option, and not have to deal with the probable "will not fit through a letterbox" issue.

Whilst I was at it, I also ordered a pair of 50m workshop rolls of rim tape, since it's generally upwards of £4 (if you're lucky, and don't include postage) for 2m of rim tape cut to the size for a wheel, but £16 for 50m of it, which will work for 25 wheels.  I don't think I'll need to use it for 50 wheels in the near future, but I'll definitely still save money, and not have to faff around finding it.
Actually, it is rocket science.