Author Topic: Exmoor Spring 100  (Read 1295 times)

Exmoor Spring 100
« on: 06 April, 2009, 12:36:15 pm »
Originally organised by the late Ken Almond from Minehead the day after the now defunct Exmoor 200 Grimpeur from Minehead.

It had been many, many years since I was last in Minehead, and seeing the event in the calendar, I just had to find out if the route was the same and so telephoned the organiser to be told that it was, and so an entry form and cheque was soon on its way.

Although I dont usually ride many 100k events, this one has to be my favourite with so much tremendous scenery on offer.

Having ridden a 200k from Gloucester the day before, I arrived in Minehead quite late in the evening, but had pre-booked into a local guest house.  I was just hoping that the weather would hold out.

Sunday morning was bright, sunny and blue skies. Perfect conditions as I made my way to the Rugby club on the outskirts of the town.  There were 94 entries this year and we soon left the start on to the quiet A39 to Porlock and then the first climb of the day up the toll road.  The views across the bay just get better the further up you climb!

From the top, you have the option of a short off-road, but flat section, or a longer but hilly'er road section before joining the road South to Exford and then the B'road to the first control at Simonsbath  (35k).

It was just impossible to resist the choice of lovely cakes on offer here before climbing to Kinsford Gate on the Devon/Somerset border.  We were now on the top of the moors with excellent views in all directions and quite flat for the next few miles across the top of the moors before finally descending down into Dulverton (70k).

South again to Exebridge to turn left on to the A396 and Northwards all the way to Dunster.  This road follows a little river on the left until finally climbing to Wheddon Cross and was quiter than some of my local lanes are!

Another lovely long descent from Wheddon Cross to Dunster and then a left turn for  the final mile on the A39 back to the finish where clotted cream teas were waiting and all included in the £3 entry fee.

See you there next year  :thumbsup: