Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2961981 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #20225 on: 15 February, 2017, 10:17:16 am »
Ye Orange Saga, continued and hopefully concluded:

Turns out that our pro contract was never terminated, and the after-sales bloke I spoke to on 21st December was talking thru his arse when he said "OK, that's fine, you'll be on private service from 3rd January".

In between we've had 7 weeks of unmitigated bullshit from support folk saying "it's your lines", "it'll work in 72 hours", "it'll work in a week", "a technician will call you" and bah bloody blah blah blah.

And the two private contracts they sent us, one of which we had dutifully signed and sent back, had been cancelled without telling us.

Yesterday I finally happened on someone competent and, after 36 minutes on the blower she found out what was up, explained the whole thing and sent us (of course) a form to fill in duplicate and send back.

In the meantime we've been paying around 160€/month instead of 45.  I've asked them to reimburse us for the difference. Fat hope.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20226 on: 24 February, 2017, 07:22:24 pm »
To the cunt who ran into the back of my van and drove off

"I hope your fucking arms and legs fall off"

£600 to have fixed you lowlife twat.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #20227 on: 26 February, 2017, 05:44:54 pm »
Fucking Microsoft. I'm not paying your buddies to transfer some files when I upgrade machine.
Also, Adobe, you're getting pretty close with your hiding of the thing I'm looking for.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20228 on: 03 March, 2017, 09:04:33 am »
People who don't cover their mouths and noses when they cough should be strangled. Weather's been too vile to cycle all week and now that it's perfect I've got the lurgi. When we were shopping on Tuesday some fucking bucolic in the checkout queue coughed all over us and it's just started to fulminate - sinusitis, sore throat etc.

Thought at first it was something untoward I had inhaled in the workshop - router dust has similar effects - but it's getting worse rather than better. :demon:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #20229 on: 13 March, 2017, 05:31:48 pm »
B & Q

Do I need to say more? OK. When the wheel fell of my new lawn mower, why wouldn't you replace the faulty goods instead of either a refund which takes 4/5 days to get to your bank account or a credit note which means that any future issue will only be compensated with another credit note.

I chose to take the refund and shop elsewhere.

216km from Marsh Gibbon

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20230 on: 13 March, 2017, 09:16:12 pm »
How NOT to indicate a turn while cycling: let your arm hang down by your side then point with one finger.   :facepalm:
Lift your fcuking arm, git! >:(

To the vast majority of people I encountered this evening: FOAD.  Don't do it for me, do it for humanity.  While I'd normally recommend a slow and painful death, for the sake of the rest of us please do it quickly.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20231 on: 13 March, 2017, 09:24:42 pm »
How NOT to indicate a turn while cycling: let your arm hang down by your side then point with one finger.   :facepalm:

Seems to be the way that FOREIGNS do it in ABROAD.  As opposed to the proper BRITISH way, which is to bounce off a kerb without looking.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #20232 on: 14 March, 2017, 12:13:31 am »
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20233 on: 14 March, 2017, 09:55:57 am »

To the vast majority of people I encountered this evening: FOAD.  Don't do it for me, do it for humanity.  While I'd normally recommend a slow and painful death, for the sake of the rest of us please do it quickly.
Once upon a time on an old railway path, I was just about to overtake a group of slower cyclists ahead of me when the woman at the head of the group gave a right turn signal. So I hung back and... they all stopped. On the left. "I thought you were about to turn right," I said. "Oh, that's just our signal to stop," she replied.  ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20234 on: 14 March, 2017, 01:45:21 pm »
Once upon a time on an old railway path, I was just about to overtake a group of slower cyclists ahead of me when the woman at the head of the group gave a right turn signal. So I hung back and... they all stopped. On the left. "I thought you were about to turn right," I said. "Oh, that's just our signal to stop," she replied.  ???

Perhaps a group of limited imagination who never ride on roads?

« Reply #20235 on: 14 March, 2017, 03:33:37 pm »
Right turn, Clyde....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20236 on: 14 March, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »
Possibly they were Australian or Danish (didn't sound it but hey).
Australia, Denmark
Extend your right arm vertically, with palm facing forward, or extend your right upper arm out to the right horizontally and make your forearm vertical with your palm facing forward (as depicted in the US right turn signal above).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_signals#Stopping.2Fbraking
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #20237 on: 14 March, 2017, 05:13:18 pm »
Slave trader shit.

Enough said.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

essexian

« Reply #20238 on: 14 March, 2017, 07:17:48 pm »
I know I should really know better but...... "Oi Halfords..... your innertubes are RUBBISH!"

I brought 3 the other week as...well they were cheap. However, each one has failed after just one or two rides. As far as I can see, they didn't puncture but simply started leaking around the valve so can't be patched.

Sigh...buy cheap, buy twice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20239 on: 14 March, 2017, 09:07:34 pm »
I know I should really know better but...... "Oi Halfords..... your innertubes are RUBBISH!"

I brought 3 the other week as...well they were cheap. However, each one has failed after just one or two rides. As far as I can see, they didn't puncture but simply started leaking around the valve so can't be patched.

Sigh...buy cheap, buy twice.

Seems to be a common mode of failure with some batches of inner tubes. I had this issue with Specialized 20 years ago and others have had the same with different brands over the years. Bloody buggeration when it happens, thobut.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20240 on: 14 March, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »
Person claiming to be "Detective Constable Medland" from Paddington Green nick: off you fuck.  The reasoni I didn't answer your repeated calls after you'd tried the "I'll connect you to a secure line and you can ring your bank" scam is because I was ringing my bank.  On my mobile.  And, unsurprisingly, they had not stopped my cards, knew nothing of any police investigation and fell about laughing when I relayed your ludicrous tale of wanting me to take part in a "police sting operation" at a branch of Money Shop in the Lea Bridge Road.  The real five-oh will, I'm sure, be most interested to hear your little tale.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #20241 on: 17 March, 2017, 05:26:09 pm »
Just opened my council tax bill.  According to Gloucestershire cunty cuntcil and increase from £21.81 to £44.49 for Adult Social Care represents a rise of 2%

(I don't object to the amount on social care but I do object to either being lied to or paying the wages of incompetents)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #20242 on: 07 April, 2017, 08:38:07 am »
Self entitled twats, just fuck off, ok?

I really don't need to see your smug faces, on my TV, whilst you bemoan the fact that you may see the school fees for little Jocasta or Algenon go up by 20%, if Labour have their way. It is, for a majority, a lifestyle choice. That choice has a cost attached. If that cost rises, then you just have to suck it up, not bleat on about not being able to afford it and, SHOCK HORROR! have to send your little brats to a non-fee paying school...

Fuck off, fuck off some more, then when you have finished that, fuck right off.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20243 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:40:55 pm »
7%

And aree they getting 7% of the airtime? >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #20244 on: 08 April, 2017, 11:23:45 am »
The electric heater is not drying out the air! it's cold, cold air carries less humidity, and is therefore cold dry air. Now the heater is on you've turned cold dry air into warm dry air. The electric heater did not "dry" out the air, and your insistence that it did contrary to what science says is bullshit.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20245 on: 08 April, 2017, 12:03:45 pm »
Wet washing is an effective, cheap, and silent humidifier...

« Reply #20246 on: 08 April, 2017, 12:20:34 pm »
The electric heater is not drying out the air! it's cold, cold air carries less humidity, and is therefore cold dry air. Now the heater is on you've turned cold dry air into warm dry air. The electric heater did not "dry" out the air, and your insistence that it did contrary to what science says is bullshit.
Well, assuming there is no loss of moisture, using an electric heater to warm up a room will reduce the relative humidity.

It will feel less damp to a human being, even though no moisture has been removed.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #20247 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:04:03 am »
The parent in the recent term-time holiday case said: “So I decided not to pay a £60 penalty notice because my daughter had otherwise perfect attendance at school. "

Apparently she had a 90% attendance record. That's a day off every two weeks.

I suppose if it was in fact every two weeks, it would be fair to describe it as regular attendance, but far from "perfect".
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #20248 on: 09 April, 2017, 11:11:51 am »
Just opened my council tax bill.  According to Gloucestershire cunty cuntcil and increase from £21.81 to £44.49 for Adult Social Care represents a rise of 2%

(I don't object to the amount on social care but I do object to either being lied to or paying the wages of incompetents)

Er, its 2% of the total, not 2% of the adult social care component, innit?
Wombat

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20249 on: 09 April, 2017, 12:44:24 pm »
The parent in the recent term-time holiday case said: “So I decided not to pay a £60 penalty notice because my daughter had otherwise perfect attendance at school. "

Apparently she had a 90% attendance record. That's a day off every two weeks.

I suppose if it was in fact every two weeks, it would be fair to describe it as regular attendance, but far from "perfect".

AIUI his argument was that 90% was the level at which councils started to get involved for other sorts of attendance issues, therefore should be the same for holidays. I'm not sure I agree with that, but IIRC his daughter actually had a higher than 90% attendance record that year.

Personally I think the rules as the government now have them are not flexible enough. I'd prefer the Welsh system of letting head teachers have absolute discretion on up to 10 days per year. Whether the father would have got his holiday under those rules I don't know, but a near blanket ban does seem overly draconian to me.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!