Author Topic: Carrying a pen  (Read 46438 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Carrying a pen
« Reply #150 on: 17 January, 2017, 12:51:55 pm »
Thanks Woofage and Dibdib.  Yes, I would appreciate a sample of the BLACK! if you can manage it,  Dibdib.

In the meantime, I shall search for Aurora. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #151 on: 17 January, 2017, 05:56:03 pm »
Diamine do multiple shades of black, available in 30ml bottles which are not too spendy so you can try different ones.

Diamine do multiple shades of everything never mind black !

They do them in 30ml samples as well at about £2.50 a shot so you can try loads for not much spendiness.

http://diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?brandid=3
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #152 on: 17 February, 2017, 10:28:23 pm »
Prompted by this thread, and courtesy of Mr Woofage's online emporium of shiny, a Pelikan M215.  :)

Extravagant, maybe, but it is so much better to write with than the Parker Sonnet now relegated to the drawer.
I just need to keep away from the website for a while...

« Reply #153 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:14:49 pm »
I normally use Pilot V5 pens as I like the fine line that they give and fine them easy to use without any smudging etc. I also use a transparent Lamy Vista fountain pen with an extra fine nib. It writes very nicely and is similar to the Pilot V5s but is probably cheaper to run.

I've also got 2x old Parker Vacumatics that I recently had serviced and date back to 1938. I use one of them quite frequently (there's a problem with the barrel of the other that I'm trying to get fixed).

« Reply #154 on: 18 February, 2017, 11:28:03 am »
I normally use Pilot V5 pens as I like the fine line that they give and fine them easy to use without any smudging etc. I also use a transparent Lamy Vista fountain pen with an extra fine nib. It writes very nicely and is similar to the Pilot V5s but is probably cheaper to run.

I've also got 2x old Parker Vacumatics that I recently had serviced and date back to 1938. I use one of them quite frequently (there's a problem with the barrel of the other that I'm trying to get fixed).

There's a version of the V5 with ballpoint style refills.Cult Pens sells it.

« Reply #155 on: 18 February, 2017, 03:33:35 pm »

There's a version of the V5 with ballpoint style refills.Cult Pens sells it.

Thanks Efrogwr, I've seen that on Amazon and have some in my basket at the moment waiting for me to buy else. The feedback was a bit mixed that they're thicker than the normal V5 and don't last as long.

« Reply #156 on: 18 February, 2017, 09:52:25 pm »
As an interesting side note; When I write with a 'biro' I tend to scribble; When a write with my fountain pen I write both slower and properly.

The pen I've been using for donkeys years: Pelikan Souveran M400 Fountain Pen - Green Striated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #157 on: 20 February, 2017, 11:13:24 am »
Being a bit of a label queen, and long-term fan of Pilot's disposables, I have now sourced a couple of really nice reusable pens.
There's the dinky Petit, which is clear, so you can see how much ink there is.

And I have black black black (none more black) Metropolitan (or MR, depending on country) medium nib fountain pen and gel rollerball.  Because refills are difficult to find, I have taken the precaution of buying a plunger for the FP, only to find to my delight that it had a bladder refill included! :)

Very happy.
Getting there...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #158 on: 20 February, 2017, 11:20:18 am »
Oh Clarrers I clean forgot about that ink sample. I did find an empty ink vial so PM me an address and I'll pop a drop of the Heart Of Darkness in the post to you.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #159 on: 20 February, 2017, 12:03:18 pm »
Not a worry.  I have found multiple bottles of ink during the house move, and I would feel guilty about importing any more into the house at the moment!

Now, when I get through that...
Getting there...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #160 on: 21 February, 2017, 05:29:37 pm »
Prompted by this thread, and courtesy of Mr Woofage's online emporium of shiny, a Pelikan M215.  :)

Extravagant, maybe, but it is so much better to write with than the Parker Sonnet now relegated to the drawer.
I just need to keep away from the website for a while...

Thanks again for your purchase. Excellent choice :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #161 on: 21 February, 2017, 08:37:09 pm »
My wallet is going to regret me asking this, but what is the weblinky for Mr Woofage's online emporium?

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #162 on: 22 February, 2017, 05:32:53 am »

I use a Mont Blanc pen I got as a leaving gift from the company I left in 2000. At the time other people leaving typically asked for something like a PDA but when the group secretary asked what I wanted I said to choose me something that would last and not be thrown away in a year like a PDA would be. She chose the Mont Blanc pen that I still use today.

I also have a pen hand turned from rosewood that I picked up from a craft show I visited. It fits perfectly in my hand (if anything it's nicer to write with than the Mont Blanc) and the weight is perfectly balanced. The guy who turned it also had a range of pens made from .50-cal rifle shells that looked nice but just didn't fit in my hand in a way that was comfortable. I also bought a similar pen from the same guy as a Christmas present for my brother, but his was turned from black walnut.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #163 on: 22 February, 2017, 08:24:06 am »
My wallet is going to regret me asking this, but what is the weblinky for Mr Woofage's online emporium?
I believe this refers.
and what a nicely laid out home page.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #164 on: 22 February, 2017, 05:13:50 pm »
I love Rotrings but recently I have found Muji now do some brilliant pens.

I love the Muji pens, I always have a selection of them at home and work, but I always take my Parker Duofold Centennial with me. It's the nicest pen to write with that I've ever had. The guarantee only has another 5 years to run, so perhaps I might be able to sneak another one in.

If yours is the original "flat band" Centennial (like the one in the pic), they are much sought after now.

What's the nib like?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #165 on: 24 February, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »
I believe this refers.
and what a nicely laid out home page.
Bookmarked for future
Getting there...

« Reply #166 on: 03 May, 2017, 12:08:07 am »
I've just seen that you can get a Brexit ink  http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312368-noodlers-brexit-exclusive/

Appropriate for signing a country's death warrant I suppose.   It's not BRITISH though,  damned colonial muck!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #167 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:33:41 am »
I carry this one on the bike for use at controls:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #168 on: 10 February, 2018, 08:01:27 am »
To fix, or not to fix, that is the question?

It's a briar Waterman Man 100, c 35 years old. I've only just noticed the crack in the wood, don't suppose that it affects it adversely. Getting it fixed will lose all the years and words that the mucky nib unit represents. There is one issue I would love to fix, in that the cap no longer fits on the body positively, preventing it from being carried in a pocket (so I carry it in my laptop bag). It does fit on the rear end positively, replacing the nib unit will not fix that issue.

« Reply #169 on: 10 February, 2018, 03:40:48 pm »
I've just seen that you can get a Brexit ink  http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312368-noodlers-brexit-exclusive/

Appropriate for signing a country's death warrant I suppose.   It's not BRITISH though,  damned colonial muck!

First, that link screwed my browser session totally..

Anyway, talking of exits, have been reading memos written by senior figures in the very last days of the British Empire as they prepared to exit Cyprus.  It's all beautifully handwritten in proper ink.  Every word can be easily read, even the local names.  It's possible to detect the mood  with which they wrote, too, although the legibility never suffers. 

There is also a photo of Major General Darling at his Cypriot desk, looking sad and holding a pencil or crayon.  I guess he was a Remainer.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #170 on: 10 February, 2018, 04:42:36 pm »
It's a working link,  but Adblock tells me it blocked 29 things & Ghostery blocked 7.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Ben T

« Reply #171 on: 10 February, 2018, 07:16:21 pm »
Bollocks. Just bought a bag of cartridges from WHSmiths for a fountain pen that was a free gift but that's actually reasonably good, but it turns out they're the wrong sort. The hole is not wide enough for the barrell's 'piercer' (terminology?) to go into.
The one that came in it has a slightly fatter hole and is slightly longer but still of the stubby variety, not fully long like a parker one.
Any idea what it might be/how many different standards there are?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #172 on: 10 February, 2018, 10:10:56 pm »
Parker et al also do stubby versions - https://www.penheaven.co.uk/parker-quink-short-cartridge
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #173 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:07:29 pm »
I carry a Pen F much of my not a work time, usually with a 17mm F1.8 attached.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #174 on: 13 February, 2018, 11:14:09 am »
Ha!  I carry a Pen, too: An E-P5 (not been able to afford an F yet) ;)
Getting there...