Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487578 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20150 on: 16 February, 2018, 08:16:23 am »
It was light enough to only need the 'be seen' lights on the way home this evening. We're almost through the period of those long dark commutes :)

Yes, woo and indeed hoo!

On the best bike today since I plan to declare POETS and go play on the A6 in the sun. I love that bike, got passed by a bus in Urmston and had actually got enough legs to get on the back without getting out the saddle, that's not happened for a long time.

« Reply #20151 on: 20 February, 2018, 08:19:27 am »
It's awfully quiet on this thread.

Caught another cyclist at the red lights in Urmston, after the change I was hanging back letting the traffic pass while he found his toe-clip, a fixed rider came past who I let go, then one of the regulars who is stupidly quick flew past. This provided me with a bit of motivation, caught the fixed but there was no way I could close the gap to the other guy, pleased and surprised there was as much power there as there was IYSWIM.

Might as well enjoy the weather, looks like turning brass monkeys again by the weekend.

« Reply #20152 on: 20 February, 2018, 08:41:45 am »
Indeed.  Lovely ride home yesterday.  No wind to speak of, no rail or hail, no frost or ice, light all the way, and temperature high enough to bare legs, fingers and ears.  I was beginning to forget what it was like.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20153 on: 20 February, 2018, 10:33:11 pm »
1) The wind was NOT FUN (both legs of the commute).
2) People are arseholes (other words may have been used during the commute).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20154 on: 21 February, 2018, 10:57:26 pm »
1) The wind was NOT FUN (both legs of the commute).
2) People are arseholes (other words may have been used during the commute).
1) wind less horrid.
2) people still arseholes.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #20155 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:21:57 am »
Wednesday night was just cruising when a mate with a guy on his wheel pulled alongside gasping "I'm racing the train", challenge accepted, so we ended up doing turns and somehow I got stuck on the front going up the rise on Church Road at 40kph, and bugger me if I'm not in the same position on the false flat up Fairhills either, not cut out for that.

Net result is I've been taking it very easy yesterday and today, loving the weather though, doesn't seem as cold or as windy as the Met Office are saying it is.

Edit: His train was cancelled   ::-)

Further Edit: Bugger it was Tuesday, which means today is not Friday  :facepalm:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20156 on: 22 February, 2018, 09:00:48 am »
Yesterday morning.  Hear weird bird call somewhere between a duck's quack and a goose's honk to my left.  Look to my left to see a heron.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20157 on: 22 February, 2018, 11:55:30 am »
Yesterday morning.  Hear weird bird call somewhere between a duck's quack and a goose's honk to my left.  Look to my left to see a heron.

Herons make noise?  Other than low-speed flapping?  Mind.  Blown.

Usually they just stand around pretending to be plastic herons.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20158 on: 22 February, 2018, 01:24:33 pm »
Maybe just the noise a duck/goose makes while being sat on or swallowed by a heron?

Back on the fixed for the first time since damaging my knees in September. Kept pedalling, but it's clear that the seat pin is too short. Having spent 5 months on a bike that fits me, the saddle on the Grubb is too low, and the line on the pin that shouldn't be visible already is!

But nice to be back on the cog again.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20159 on: 22 February, 2018, 03:18:10 pm »

Herons make noise?  Other than low-speed flapping?  Mind.  Blown.

Usually they just stand around pretending to be plastic herons.
They also do a beak-clacking thing; head back and clatter the mandibles(?) together.  Loud.  Not sure if it's a mating / territorial thing or what.  Only ever heard / seen it the once at Buscot Park; which has (or had) quite a large flock of them.  I expect an ornithologist will be along soon with a better explanation.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #20160 on: 26 February, 2018, 11:51:19 am »
Cold, dry and sunny.   

'Interesting' conversation with the drivers of two vehicles 'stopped for a meeting' & totally blocking dual use path.

Only bike in the bike shed today!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #20161 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:14:19 pm »
I went cross country on my commute today. The first bridleway was a relatively flat farm track, but the second turned into a rutted sheep trail that was rock hard with frost. Not fun. I will forego the latter tomorrow, but stick with the farm track, as I often see hares in the fields that way. It had thawed on the way home, but it's been a dry cold of late and the mud wasn't too bad. It looks like staying below freezing all day for the rest of the week, so I'll stick with the scenic route.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20162 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:36:51 pm »
As I was rushing between sites today I rode through our little cyclists' cut through the trees and there was a Buzzard sat on a fence post just the other side. It stared at me but didn't move. Beautiful bird, and massive! :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #20163 on: 26 February, 2018, 07:04:00 pm »
On way back, I was on the A-road doing 25-30km/h, and a cyclist undertakes me riding on the narrow footpath (which desparately needs siding), then sees a runner coming towards him, and hardly slows up at all as he goes passed.    :o

Nice to have snow (albeit with driving wind) for the last 10mins, clear cycling specs do a very good job under these conditions.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #20164 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:29:58 am »
I could have got on the bike in the snow this morning to work, but I'd rather not tempt fate and fall off. Caution is my watch-word today!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #20165 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:39:05 am »
Discretion was the the better part of valor today. Rather than drive 65 miles into the SNOpocolipse in that there Kent, I walked to the local client site to work from there.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #20166 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:55:03 am »
I could have got on the bike in the snow this morning to work, but....

....I gambled it'd be ok when I got onto the bus routes and bigger roads, fun on slicks in one or two places though.

« Reply #20167 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:54:30 am »
This weather is where the Schwalbe Ice Spikers come into their own. The bridleway was calm today, although I noticed from the tracks that I was only the second one to pass that way today. Light flurries in Warwick & Kenilworth, but COLD!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #20168 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:09:09 pm »

....I gambled it'd be ok when I got onto the bus routes and bigger roads, fun on slicks in one or two places though.

Cycling with Hope, I see.  I walked down the snow-covered drive at 5:45, cycled about 200 meters on clearish tarmac, another 100m on less clear tarmac, then turned round before the plunge down the hill to Pontardawe. Then waited an hour before waking my wife and asking for a lift.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #20169 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:47:53 pm »
This morning on a cycle superhighway, signalling to turn right and got a low 5 off an oncoming rider. Made me smile  :)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #20170 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:58:33 pm »
Cycling with Hope, I see.

;D

If my commute had any sort of elevation change I'd have gone on the studs, especially since that bike has a sticky rear brake (water in the cable run). I knew the roads had been well gritted last night since I got gritted twice on the way home.

« Reply #20171 on: 27 February, 2018, 07:36:58 pm »
Back on the studs again today for the icy patches rather than any snow.....but tomorrow might be a different story  ???
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20172 on: 28 February, 2018, 08:13:33 am »
-4 and sno. T'was a Good Idea to put BMX tyres on the folder, didn't slip once 8)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #20173 on: 28 February, 2018, 08:38:31 am »
Walked in again. There's compacted snow from yesterday, turned to ice, now with a thin layer of new snow on top. Playing it sensible again today. It's a 10-minute walk to work.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #20174 on: 28 February, 2018, 08:43:47 am »
No bridleways for me this morning! -4C and snowflakes in the air to add to the thick dusting on the ground. The cyclepaths were probably icy under the snow, so the Ice Spikers were reassuringly grippy. I suspect that a couple of winters riding have taken their toll on the spikes, but they still grip well under braking.

I saw someone on a Brompton as I set out. Doubt they do studded tyres for those!