Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462173 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #19425 on: 13 February, 2017, 08:25:08 am »
Tough start to the week, that's a nasty wind

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #19426 on: 13 February, 2017, 08:50:25 am »
Yes, but it should be easier on the way back and for the first time no concerns about ice.

Also there was a lot of light earlier on, which felt nicer.

« Reply #19427 on: 13 February, 2017, 09:21:38 am »
*repeats ditty to the tune of "where have all the flowers gone"*

"Where has all the traffic gone?
Half term holidays
Where has all the traffic gone?
Half term week
Where has all the traffic gone?
Mums have stayed at home with them
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?"

Glorious run in with little to no traffic so went through all the junctions with little issue or delay. Though the suspicious lack of wind suggests that the ride home may be rather tougher.

« Reply #19428 on: 13 February, 2017, 09:30:09 am »

Glorious run in with little to no traffic so went through all the junctions with little issue or delay. Though the suspicious lack of wind suggests that the ride home may be rather tougher.
I was also wondering why the wind stopped so suddenly and the false flat was so easy this morning....then I realised.

Looking forward to pushing the Boris Bike into the headwind back to Stratford tonight.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19429 on: 13 February, 2017, 10:14:18 am »
Looks like 15-20kmh headwind on the 20km ride home tonight.  Can't say I'm looking forward to it.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #19430 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:01:18 am »

What wind? Nothing here, I'm just going well  ;)

« Reply #19431 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:08:57 am »
Headwind all the way into work. So much work on the bike that I hid behind a casual cyclist for respite! A CASUAL cyclist complete with a Spartan checked jacket and high heeled boots! The relief was palpable!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #19432 on: 13 February, 2017, 01:33:33 pm »
It was LIGHT at seven o'clock this mornining :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #19433 on: 13 February, 2017, 06:28:08 pm »
Lots of gusty side winds today - made sure I rode in primary a lot so as not so get pushed into a bus or lorry. The respective drivers were thankfully all considerate.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19434 on: 13 February, 2017, 06:30:29 pm »
I'm still getting over a bug which made today's wind uncomfortable. I felt like I'd ridden in over the fell road rather than down the coast. I was having a much better day on the way home though ;D

Oh, and it was almost warm! :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19435 on: 13 February, 2017, 08:50:42 pm »
Looks like 15-20kmh headwind on the 20km ride home tonight.  Can't say I'm looking forward to it.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared.  I've had tougher rides this year.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #19436 on: 14 February, 2017, 07:54:11 am »
I broke the law yesterday afternoon. Temporary traffic lights have appeared just past my house. The traffic was queueueued to just the wrong side of my drive. Did I take my place in the queueue until the lights had changed? Did I 'eck as like! I swung up the neighbours drive and free-wheeled down the path, possibly as far as 40 feet!  It felt wrong, but good at the same time.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #19437 on: 14 February, 2017, 08:50:18 am »

What wind? Nothing here, I'm just going well  ;)

I was going well last night, would have been going even better if there hadn't been all these metal boxes in the way sticking to the speed limit  :o   :)

Leaving the estate this morning and I'd spotted the milkman about to step out from between parked cars without looking so I slowed and passed behind him with 'Get you next time'. He nearly shot out of his skin  ;D

« Reply #19438 on: 14 February, 2017, 10:42:07 am »
As expected last night was into the wind. However the pain came from having tweaked my groin / hip whilst sat at my desk such that I had difficulty raising my right knee. No pulling up on the pedal and mounting the bike was awkward.

« Reply #19439 on: 14 February, 2017, 04:53:32 pm »
Ouch ouch ouch - stacked the cargobike at the bottom of a hill - not sure whether diesel or some other greasy substance, but the front wheel went out from under me and I slid along the road. Thankfully I was on my way to the nursery pickup rather than on the way home. Road rash to arm, stomach, and knees, and taken the frame tubes down to bare metal on the side of the bike - will have to get a touch up kit.

« Reply #19440 on: 15 February, 2017, 08:55:55 am »
Last nights club run must have been harder than I thought: legs were on empty this morning.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19441 on: 16 February, 2017, 10:13:59 pm »
Good run in, with roads clearer due to half term.  New shoes were comfy, which is good. Scored a roadkill Stanley 99E, complete with three spare blades (inc. obligatory hook one that no-one uses). I've spent a few minutes this evening cleaning and oiling it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #19442 on: 17 February, 2017, 10:12:37 am »
Chatsworth Road in Hackney is having a new zebra crossing fitted.
This morning three men in hi-viz were marking it out.
One man with a tape measure and some chalk.
The other two with stern looks for the traffic, to stop him from being squished.
As I came to a halt to allow him to finish his marking, the look out says 'Watch out lad'.
Lad.
Me.
Tops :thumbsup:.

In other news.
The flies for 2017 have started to arrive.

ETA
And on the way home tonight...
Crocuses pushing up through the grass on Well Street Common.
People sitting, drinking outside the pub.
The smell of freshly cut grass.
A smidge of daylight left in the sky just as I reached home.
The last three are firsts for this year. :thumbsup:

« Reply #19443 on: 20 February, 2017, 09:22:54 am »
Blackfriars Bridge has been altered and it's not as good as it was. Now it looks they want EVERYONE to be shunted to the left side approaching it! Great so there like 50-60 bike per traffic lights! good one TFL!  :facepalm:

EDIT: May have been too hasty. It's a 4 year sewage work!!!

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/road-changes-at-victoria-embankment#on-this-page-1

« Reply #19444 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:53:55 am »
It was a ridiculously mild commute home, yesterday afternoon.  In the morning, it was about 10°C, which is not unexpected for February, but it was 17°C on the way home, and I had to shove my fleece top into the pannier, to stop myself overheating.

When you do that, you also realise how much drag the top creates, since with a YACF jersey alone, I cruised home. :)

I don't think it's going to do that today, the forecast is predicting a 1 or 2°C rise, and possibly staying as dull and lightly drizzly as it is now.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #19445 on: 21 February, 2017, 12:08:46 pm »
Yesterday: I fell off.

I went to Redcar Primary Care hospital, again, and I'm just posting here to brag that once again, I was seen, X-rayed, advised and out within 60 minutes. I love my NHS. [It's not broken but it does hurt.]

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19446 on: 21 February, 2017, 01:06:32 pm »
[It's not broken but it does hurt.]

Is that a comment on the injury, or the NHS?

GWS.

« Reply #19447 on: 22 February, 2017, 11:18:19 am »
Absolutely belted it today and not a word was said in anger too. Love wearing short clothes in London. I just go FASTER! 16.7mph average! Long Live Spring!

« Reply #19448 on: 22 February, 2017, 11:22:20 am »
1st commute since the school mid-term. I was about 10 - 15 min later than usual and traffic was terrible. Never seen the queues so long. I was riding past long lines this morning.  My wife has been complaining traffics getting worse, and this morning I saw it in action. Or in inaction. Strong tailwind.

« Reply #19449 on: 22 February, 2017, 11:42:50 am »
Last night I seemed to be towing about half a dozen others into the wind, forced to sit on the front all the way due to the total lack of guards by my carriages.

Decent tailwind this morning, going to hurt again this afternoon. Thinking about using the best bike tomorrow since the commuter only has the big ring available and I think I may fancy more gears given the forecast wind speeds tomorrow  :-\