Author Topic: Dundee Core Paths proposal  (Read 1280 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Dundee Core Paths proposal
« on: 19 May, 2008, 01:35:53 pm »
The Draft Dundee Core Paths Plan formal consultation started on 16th May for a period of 12 weeks. More details on http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/outaccess/corepaths

This is aimed at encouraging cycling and walking by mapping out desire lines with the aim of ultimately improving conditions on the ground. I am the cycling rep on the local access forum so please could you copy any comments you have submitted to me.

Many thanks

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Re: Dundee Core Paths proposal
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2008, 09:47:57 pm »
David, given the poor state of much of the existing green circular route, and the debacle with the pass required to get along the section owned by the port authority, is this core path thing actually being taken seriously by the council, or is it mostly a paper excercise for them?

David Martin

« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2008, 10:43:04 pm »
David, given the poor state of much of the existing green circular route, and the debacle with the pass required to get along the section owned by the port authority, is this core path thing actually being taken seriously by the council, or is it mostly a paper excercise for them?

It is being taken seriously, at least in some quarters. The docks debacle is a bit of a nightmare but there are active plans afoot to reroute the GCR around the docks - building a new parallel path alongside the Broughty Ferry Road to the roundabout. This will avoid all the issues with passes and a cycle path along which it is illegal to walk, with a section in it where you are instructed to dismount and walk.

The primary (and difficult issues) are crossing the Kingsway. This may be made much easier when the Western bypass is built, though expect a lot of noise and bother over that as it will cut through some of the prime cycling countryside within 10 miles of Dundee. The problem will become easier as the Kngsway will no longer be a trunk road, so it can be reduced to a 40 limit and traffic light controlled crossings incorporated to enable safe cycle/pedestrian crossing.

A lot has been done to improve elements of the existing paths. It does take time and routes marked on the ground will take a long time to upgrade. Less time as more people use them and moan about it to their local councillors.

..d

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:08:12 pm »
Thanks David.

I agree that crossing the Kingsway is a nightmare generally - e.g. there are no options between the Charlston subway and the (poor) path at the Swallow as far as I know. Looking at the maps, one of the proposed core paths suggests crossing the Kingsway at the Beefeater - there is no break in the central barrier here, and requires crossing 4 lanes of trunkroad, so I wouldn't think this was suitable even for 'walkers'?

There is also, IMO, a potential missed opportunity to link from Denhead of Gray into the Green Circular via. the Wester Gourdie Industrial Estate, which might improve access to the West of Dundee and specifically the new Gray Village which looks like it will have proposed path 7 as it's main non-road link back into Dundee (I'm not familiar with the route of path 7, I suspect its an unmade earthen path?). On my 'short route' for commuting between Downfield and Invergowrie I currently use the road through Denhead of Gray: down through camperdown then Liff Road, Myrekirk road, Wade Street, Nobel Road and a bit over grass to get onto the road at Denhead, since the connection to Fulton Road north of NCR is blocked (debris and concrete mostly). For me this is preferable to the alternative of using the Charlston subway and going down the path at the edge of the Kingsway since I get to see more wildlife, and sustain less p*nct*r*s  :thumbsup:, but others I know who cycle a similar route wont go 'my way' because it's not 'joined up' properly.

Interested to hear about the Western bypass - where can I find more information on this? (I don't read newspapers  :-[) and what sort of timescale are we talking about? The Kingsway (and the A90 and rest of the A92) are very effective barriers to cycling between different parts of Dundee for a lot of people who I presume these paths are aimed at, so anything to facilitate easier/safer crossing would be good I think.

David Martin

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:11:47 am »
You should send these sorts of comments in. They are the sort of thing that needs to be said as they impart specific local knowledge. If the routes you outline match with the core paths then they will identify key areas that need to be improved. I know they are talking about ensuring there is a link through Wester Gourdie to the main route network.

A safe crossing near the Swallow roundabout would be key to this.

Western By-pass - still a very outline proposal found in the TACTRAN proposal. See here.

I'm trying to think of a suitable route for it, and failing miserably. Probably Benvie, Fowlis, Dronley (skirting the edge of Birkhill) and Tealing. There is no clear and obvious route.

« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:45:27 pm »
Just a note to anyone else thinking of making comments/observations that tomorrow is the last official day to submit comments/make objections on the formal consultation.