Author Topic: The Old Squit  (Read 1127 times)

Halloween

• It's party time....
The Old Squit
« on: 22 February, 2010, 09:21:09 am »
The Old Squit 200k 13/02/2010 - “The White Stuff”

Despite anxiously watching the weather forecast for days before the event I made the decision to cycle to Norwich only on the morning itself. At the start it was good to see Bez again and put faces to the names of Chris S and fboab with whom I would be attempting an Easter Arrow later in the year. A good turnout for an early season 200 with a real buzz as people caught up with friends and cycling buddies, and then we were off into the cold. The route consisted of 2x100k loops, the first heading south-east via Loddon before returning to the John Innes Centre (JIC) for lunch. Dry weather for the first half hour and then we were treated to sleet, hail, and full-on snow. The roads quickly became more tricky and my companion Chris took a slow-speed tumble on a right turn in fresh snow. No damage done apart from a bruised ego.

We slowed right down as we gingerly followed the multiple cycle tracks – no need for the route sheet. Wet and cold we reached the cafe control at the Goodies farm shop, but so did everyone else and rather than queue for the cafe we bought snacks from the deli and moved on. The farmers were out on hedge-cutting duty and with the gritty wet roads there were numerous p*nct*r*s. Chris and I were cycling with Tim who had already had 3, so when he stopped again he waved us on, only for me to snag a piece of flint and have to make a cold repair. We moved off and Tim caught us up. Chris was beginning to suffer during the last few k’s to the JIC so it was a welcome relief to head into the warmth for a late lunch. Hot soup and rolls revived us but Chris was thinking of packing. Tim took the opportunity to repair some inner tubes and after another roll and mug of coffee Chris needed little persuading to head out into the cold for the second half.

The second loop headed north west to Fakenham and by now the weather had dried but the cold north easterly wind had picked up. The rolling Ringland hills were warming and the sun made a watery appearance. Nonetheless we struggled against the wind heading into the control in Fakenham. Remembering that tomorrow was Valentine’s Day, both Chris and I used the opportunity to purchase suitable cards for our better halves!

With the light fading it was now a foursome (me, Chris, Tim, Andrew) who set out into the fading daylight and the last leg back to Norwich. Another p*nct*r* for Tim was quickly replaced (he’d had plenty of practice!) and we settled down to a lighted ride through some dark country lanes. It was noticeable that the temperature dropped quickly as the sun went down, but a brisk pace with a ‘sort-of’ following breeze saw us make reasonable time back to Norwich. Just as we arrived Chris announced his rear tyre had gone flat – that made a total of 7 for the day between us!
More soup, rolls and cake from the excellent catering at the JIC and it was time for home – this time I cadged a lift home from Chris, and as we scraped the ice off his car I was pleased I had.

Thanks to Keith, Sue and team for another well organised ride.
Halloween