Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3010017 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
A waist-high rail is a sensible height on a child.

Anyway, it's not about the child's ability to cope with height, it's about the parent's.  Ever seen someone with a fear of heights watch their children be perfectly confident on a high balcony or similar?  It's not pretty.

If people with small children had bought tickets up there, why not? Kids who are old enough to be taken to a venue like that are surely old enough for their parents to judge their ability to cope with height.
If the only barrier is a waist-high rail, then that leaves a gap beneath the rail large enough for a small child to easily fall through.
Waist-high on an adult is at head or above head height for a small child.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I wouldn't have thought you'd take a small child (say, under 8 or so) to such a venue anyway.  Unless it was a child-oriented performance, in which case they'd hopefully have the sense not be selling tickets for those seats.

If people with small children had bought tickets up there, why not? Kids who are old enough to be taken to a venue like that are surely old enough for their parents to judge their ability to cope with height.
If the only barrier is a waist-high rail, then that leaves a gap beneath the rail large enough for a small child to easily fall through.
Waist-high on an adult is at head or above head height for a small child.

Looking at the auditorium picture on the Lincoln Centre website, it's obvious that there's a solid barrier to approx knee height, then a rail above that. Sure, a small child could clamber through the gap - hell, a determined adult probably could, and could certainly get over the top. But if you're in possession of a small child who is determined to clamber through such a gap, then I'd venture to suggest that they're no loss shouldn't be brought to such a venue.

That doesn't look as bad, safety-wise. It must be the openness that is so disconcerting.

For safety, the Grand in Leeds is probably worse (well, for adults).

This picture gives a good idea. The barrier is a bit lower than a desk.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I was at the LCC AGM at South Bank University last night.

I was quite glad to be stuck at the very back of the lecture theatre. The seat raking was VERY steep and the steps between tiers were in groups of 3. I think I would have found this discombobulating if I had been mobile.

essexian

Stupidly, I arranged a "workshop" for the managers I oversee yesterday in Liverpool..... not that that's a bad thing normally but to do it on a Friday.... :facepalm:

Also, little did I realise when booking the workshop that Liverpool Lime Street station was closed meaning my normal 50 minute train trip was now going to take nearly two hours.....  :facepalm:

So, why isn't in the Grumble thread...or home of most of my posts as I call it....well changing at Liverpool South Parkway meant I met the Station Cat, a lovely tabby tom cat.  Well, it made me smile  ;D

It is funny what a bit of fur in the morning does to my mood.

I suggested to MrsC that we go to see Bladerunner2029

She's just said that she thought she should maybe watch the first film beforehand. Do I even know this woman?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Maybe you could go see Bladerunner 2049 after that.  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Be sure to watch: 2022, 2036, and 2048 first.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Utter and complete brain dead cockwombles.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/24/men-photographed-in-crocodile-trap-dubbed-idiots-of-the-century
Steph beat me to it.

It really is a shame that the trap didn't close on them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Credit where it's due to the environment minister, though:

You can’t make everything that’s stupid illegal

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Very often it's self-eliminating.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
See Darwin Award thread...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
From Twitter

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I can't be alone in thinking that using images to distribute text is a far greater crime than the average eggcorn, can I?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Only if the author of the text is not Charlie Brooker.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I can't be alone in thinking that using images to distribute text is a far greater crime than the average eggcorn, can I?

Only way to distribute that much text via Twitter though,  innit?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Only way to distribute that much text via Twitter though,  innit?

If only Tim Berners-Lee had invented a way for anyone to link to text and other media via a short standardly-formatted address...   :facepalm:

Seriously, do we really have to shaft non-graphical users and the bandwidth-impaired at every turn?  (It's 'yes', isn't it?)  One of the great things about twitter used to be that you could use it from a basic text-only interface.  Something like irssi, or a Nokia 3310.  Or a screen-reader or braille terminal.

</rant>

Anyway, as a nasty hack to circumvent the twitter character limit it makes some sense.  But people do it on Friendface and things too.  I put it down to laziness and a basic lack of computer skills.

Ob-xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1683/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Anyway, as a nasty hack to circumvent the twitter character limit it makes some sense.

I have but one simple rule: if it can't be said in 140 characters, use a different platform.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Talking of lack of computer skills, how do you link to a tweet? I'm not a Twitterist but occasionally I've wanted to do that pretty thing where you get a tweet to display in a post, but I've never managed to do more than give a link.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Click on the timestamp in the tweet, then click on the arrow in the top right corner to bring up options including 'copy link to tweet'. Then paste the link into the forum, like so...

https://twitter.com/laurenlaverne/status/923460554303426560

ETA: although apparently that doesn't generate a preview of the tweet in yacf like it does in certain other forums.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
On the timestamp? Well, that didn't occur to me. Thanks!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

If Twitter allows images it's Twitter's problem. OK, nyah nyah nyah bandwidth but in that case YouTube nyah nyah nyah.*

*Yeah, sure, Nyarlathotep etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight