Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3005627 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I dunno what the people in one of the houses down the street keep doing, but that's the 4th time (that I'm aware of) the fire brigade have been out with a big feck off fan running in their front doorway.

Running a meth lab, I expect.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

As we are lacking a "I'm a jammy git" thread and this is too minor to warrant starting it.....

Yesterday I was on site witnessing the placement of new filter sand in a water treatment works filter, so I was taking photos whilst on the scaffold access platform over the filter. Unfortunately the lens hood fell off the camera and fell onto the scaffold. This wouldn't have been a problem except that the removable piece for letting the flash through the hood fell out and went between the boards. At the time I was stood over the wall between the filter we were working on and the adjacent live filter so it was 50:50 which way it would fall.

As you can gather from the opening phrase the piece of plastic fell into the empty filter and landed on the support gravels which meant we were able to retrieve it before the sand was placed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Continuing the jammy git theme, I was bought a slice of cake today just for filling in a survey about British Cycling's website. The survey was quite fun in itself, the cake was a bonus.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

essexian

I don't know what is going on in the sky over Stafford but four times in the last couple of hours an armed forces helicopter has flown low over my property and by low, I mean around 100 feet. 

Currently it is flying loops around Bradley a few miles to the west of here.

Bloody noisy it is too.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
I don't know what is going on in the sky over Stafford but four times in the last couple of hours an armed forces helicopter has flown low over my property and by low, I mean around 100 feet. 

Bloody noisy it is too.

It's because of the raised terror alert level. There are troops on the streets on London.

An adventure-racer friend of mine (Sabrina Verjee) is running the 315km-long Dragon's Back Race this week - currently 3rd overall and 1st lady by some distance (still a long way to go, mind!)
Stretched her lead to nearly 2 hours now.  :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Gawd.   :o indeed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin

Bloody noisy it is too.

It's because of the raised terror alert level. There are troops on the streets on London.

Not necessarily, we were informed, last week, that a training exercise is planned for the next two weeks, meaning an increase in the number of fixed and rotary wing aircraft in the area.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

I've made appointments for a tattoo that I've been thinking about for ages. Verging towards good news / bad news, but first appointment is in December.

I've just seen a neighbour and her daughter walking through the village. Each had a sheep on a lead.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
When I was working in the 13th Arrondissement in Paris back in 1973, a procession of folk from just up the way appeared one day, leading a sheep by the ears.  Apparently it was a Muslim festival and the beast was heading for ceremonial slaughter and roasting, all in a block of council flats.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I have had a bit of an epiphany, after a chat with Deano on Saturday. Instead of doing a hilly coast to coast on the Jamis, I shall use the, triple equipped, Dave Yates instead.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

I have just been on a conference all with someone in India I thought was called, and therefore I addressed him as, Pingu. I cannot express my disappointment getting a mail from him where I discover it is actually Pegu.

ian

There's a chap who walks a goat through Croydon. I've seen him several times so I suspect it's not my imagination. Mind you, it's Croydon, so it's quite possible the goat is taking the man for a walk.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Hence the traditional Paper Lace song

"Billy
Don't be a carer..."
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

ian

I'm saying goodbye to my old TV today. It'll be an emotional moment for sure, we've watched some awful stuff together. Including the time we watched all the Nicolas Cage movies. I'm hopeful my friends from TV licensing can come and say goodbye too, they've paid a lot of attention to my potential TV viewing over the years. It survived 13 years of the sort of rubbish I like to watch, so good going. Alas, it's an ancient projector TV (rather spiffy TI DLT chip-ology inside) and the fan finally died (outlasting the projector bulb which had a projected life of 2.5 years) – at least I think they's the cause of the horrific grinding noise it now emits. It probably could be fixed but I got the withering really look from a certain lady (*cough*) who has been wanting a new TV for the last five years.

So Mr J. Lewis will be delivering a huge OLED tv later. I have no idea what OLED is. I may break it in by watching all the Transformer movies. Let's see if it's up to the job.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
There's a chap who walks a goat through Croydon. I've seen him several times so I suspect it's not my imagination. Mind you, it's Croydon, so it's quite possible the goat is taking the man for a walk.

I think you've been watching too much Twin Peaks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
So Mr J. Lewis will be delivering a huge OLED tv later. I have no idea what OLED is. I may break it in by watching all the Transformer movies. Let's see if it's up to the job.
I think it's the state of a well cared for bicycle chain. Either that or a nocturnal bird of prey.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

Bye bye old TV, hello new. My wife says blimey, it's a huge. Which is not something she's evidently ever felt the need to say to me before.

We were reminiscing the other day about the fact that for first couple of years in London we never got beyond a colour portable.

It claims, from the box, to have infinite contrast. Is that even possible?

I hope she's happy now. Evidently my idea of buying a smaller TV and simply sitting closer wasn't acceptable. It's not small, you're just too far away.

Bye bye old TV, hello new. My wife says blimey, it's a huge. Which is not something she's evidently ever felt the need to say to me before.
. . . .

It's not small, you're just too far away.

I've tried that line on girls before. It didn't work.  :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

I suspect that if they close enough to be disappointed, it's already done deal. Never take your trousers off too soon is good date advice. Especially not in the restaurant during the main course is even better advice.

My new TV scares me a bit. Everything is a bit hyperreal though even upscaled DVD content looks pretty good. I've not watched anything bonafide 4k yet. Netflix offered me an upgrade (£1.50 extra) but I've not checked what's available. I don't have normal TV (you listening, Crapita?)

Surprisingly few cables though, one HDMI and open optical sound. I sort of figured out the remote by trial and error. It makes a cursor on the screen like it's made of magic. You can wiggle it around and it somehow figured out how to control my Samsung blu-ray box despite it being made by the enemy (the TV is LG). Unfortunately it won't control the cats, I was hoping it would at least mute them.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I'm writing my annual report for my Scout troop. I've managed to get "'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" into it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
If you have to read it to them you could end with "WAKE UP! It's time to die."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I managed to get a line from Airplane into a conversation with my colleague this week.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

Every Friday, I am forced to raise mothership morale (and jeopardize my future employment status) by sending out something stupid to the subdecks. Today I captioned a certain photograph from our website. I'm told someone laughed so hard that she ejected an entire mouthful of semi-chewed muffin right over the desk partition to hit the person sitting opposite in the face.

I'm sorry.