Author Topic: The Gutbuster  (Read 8436 times)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
The Gutbuster
« on: 26 April, 2010, 03:13:44 pm »
I am pleased to announce that the inaugural ride of the Gutbuster was undertaken by yours truely yesterday and after a successful circumnavigation I have great delight publishing this ride to the world  ;D

The Gutbuster is a circular, 145K, hilly ride that starts and ends on top of Portsdown Hill, overlooking the Principality of Portsmouth, at Mick's Burger Van.  The ride is named after their legendary Gutbuster burger and seemed a suitable name for a ride that takes in most of the great South Downs climbs in the local vacinity adding upto approx 2600M of accent. The ride is the culmination of several years of riding these hills and gradually stitching together the best bits by Urban_Biker (also of this Parish) and myself.  It took me 8 hours 10mins ...with stops for grub and photos ..something to aim for ....perhaps a Gutbuster Trophy is in order  ;D

The notable climbs are:

Beacon Hill - Exton
Old Winchester Hill from West Meon
Harvesting Lane - Butser Hill
Harting Down - South Harting
Duncton Hill - nr Graffham
Portsdown Hill via Pigeon House Lane

It's a ride to do on a clear day to make the most of the views as the scenery north and south is stunning.  The majority of the ride is on small country lanes with a only a few km's on bigger roads where it couldn't be avoided.   

here's the bikely track:

The Gutbuster

ride and enjoy  ;D

and now for the gallery ...

Where it begins and ends

The legend that is ....but not compulsory to have one

The Pricipality of Pompey

fine views:
from Duncton Down looking North

from glorious Goodwood looking North

similar view from Goodwood ....but this time there is a tea wagon in the car park behind me  :thumbsup:

above Clanfield looking towards East meon ...thinking of changing the route to include a possible stop at the Beech Cafe at the Sustainability centre just up the road from here

Odd things

Refuelling at Cocking ..the finest Chocolate biscuit cake was on the counter

and you get to go through one of these

appearing in a tea room near you

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: The Gutbuster
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:52:13 pm »

here's the bikely track:

The Gutbuster

ride and enjoy  ;D

All I'm getting is a blank screen  ???

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »
Bikely does seem a little flakey at the moment ...i've jsut tried myself and the  link does appear to work ok.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:59:18 pm »
I'll try later from a PC - might just be a Maccy thing.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:16:36 pm »
 :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2010, 01:55:28 pm »
That looks like a great route  :thumbsup:
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:07:55 pm »
 Great route, if only for the burger. Probably best at the end ,judging by the portfolio of hills on offer. :sick:

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2011, 09:27:29 am »
I thought I'd give this thread a bit of a bump to remind my fellow randonneurs of a fine (if i say so myself) training ride available for those not too far from Pompey.  I've been riding 100k of this ( from Beacon hill in the west to South Harting in the east) each weekend inbetween events during the winter and spring but will soon be taking the full ride as the days draw longer.  Hummers was out on it yesterday and agreed it was not a ride to be taken lightly ...praise indeed!

Hummers

« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »
Hummers was out on it yesterday and agreed it was not a ride to be taken lightly ...

Indeed.

I am yet to do the route as per your Bikely track but managed to fit in a combination of the route out and back from Goodwood.

Unashamedly, gratuitously hilly.

:thumbsup:

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #9 on: 25 July, 2011, 02:24:54 pm »
I've been using the first half of this ride as my regular 100k weekend training ride for the last year but decided it was time to get out and use the full ride as part of my final PBP prep.  So on Saturday it was breakfast at Mick's at 05:45 and I rolled out of the car park heading West for Beacon Hill a few minutes after 6. I pretty much know every lump, bump and hole on the first half so it was great to get past Harting Down and onto the north side of the South Downs heading for Gratham, Duncton and Glorious Goodwood. I was determined to get round without engaging the Granny and managed to do so although the climb up Duncton had me very tempted to release the left hand lever! Even if I say so myself it's a cracking ride and saturday was a perfect day to ride it ....I even managed to miss the huge rain storm that swept down the Meon valley at 7am  :thumbsup:.   I made a few stops ...Beaches cafe for hot choc and flapjack, purchase of the best chocoloate biscuit cake in Cocking and Sarnies out of the carradice sitting overlooking Goodwood ..and lots of photos which all added up to an hour....so I was pretty happy with my 7.5 hours for the round trip (145k) and celebrated with an icecream at the Portsdown Hill arrivee. 

« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2011, 08:29:41 pm »
A one pound burger strewth........
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

keeks

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »
Just loaded routes on to GPS for my final prep ride before PBP (still be doing long commutes for a little while longer) . Weather looks good , so let see what this area has to offer, as all my rides have been West bound.

Hummers

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2012, 12:13:01 am »
I shall be riding this one on Monday.

Am looking forwards to it.  :thumbsup:

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2012, 12:28:29 pm »
a bump of this thread to anounce that the 2012 beating of the Gutbuster bounds will commence at 04:51 tomorrow as Keeks and myself watch the sun rise over Mick's burger van (carefully alligned at the convergence of several ley lines), finish out bacon and eggs rolls and depart on the best 140k the South Downs can offer.  Ride report and photos will appear as if by magic after the weekend.  All are welcome to wave us off  ;D

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2012, 01:42:32 pm »
Slight correction on the route above. Duncton hill is near Graffham (not Gratham) - which has a lovely wooded Camping and Caravanning club site if anyone is interested.
Owner of a languishing Langster

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2012, 11:56:38 am »
a bump of this thread to anounce that the 2012 beating of the Gutbuster bounds will commence at 04:51 tomorrow as Keeks and myself watch the sun rise over Mick's burger van (carefully alligned at the convergence of several ley lines), finish out bacon and eggs rolls and depart on the best 140k the South Downs can offer.  Ride report and photos will appear as if by magic after the weekend.  All are welcome to wave us off  ;D

The Sunrise Gutbuster:

the deed is done ....the gradient of the hills has been tested and I can report that they are all in good shape and have not diminished.  Infact I am concerned that there may have been tectonic plate activity in the local area as they actually seem steeper and longer than last year!!  The sun rose on cue for us and the tailwind helped us on the eatern push from Beacon Hill all the way out to Duncton Down ....but did slow us down on the return!  I will certainly be in touch with wiggle for copyright infringement as they seem to have 'stolen' most of the route for one of those new fangled Sportives.

It's a cracking ride and can't recommend it enough and it's not compulsory to start at 4.30am!!

now for the gallery:

http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/chillmoister/The%20Sunrise%20Gutbuster%20-%20June%202012/?albumview=slideshow

keeks

« Reply #16 on: 25 June, 2012, 12:05:28 pm »
Hardly seems fair ,Pete isn't in many phots as he's so busy taking them, so as small compension...

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »
I've still not see anyone actually eating a Gutbuster. I don't believe this ride can be truly completed without consumption of one. Perhaps that would require a team effort?

Hummers

« Reply #18 on: 30 June, 2012, 06:50:34 am »
I've still not see anyone actually eating a Gutbuster. I don't believe this ride can be truly completed without consumption of one. Perhaps that would require a team effort?

I think I knew someone who'd thought he's seen someone else talk about his mate serving one to someone.

But I may be mistaken.

As for the roadside sign "Pain is weakness leaving the body", I might suggest that one be relocated to the Ella Gordon Sexual Health clinic down at St Mary's.  :demon:

H

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 30 June, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »

I think I knew someone who'd thought he's seen someone else talk about his mate serving one to someone.

But I may be mistaken.

As for the roadside sign "Pain is weakness leaving the body", I might suggest that one be relocated to the Ella Gordon Sexual Health clinic down at St Mary's.  :demon:

H

Pain is nature's way of telling you to stop being so f****** stupid and stop for some cake.

Hummers

« Reply #20 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:03:14 am »

Cake is nature's way of telling you to stop being so f****** stupid and stop for some more cake.

Fixed that for you.

H

Hummers

« Reply #21 on: 10 October, 2014, 12:23:52 pm »
I am delighted to say that I am riding this tomorrow after a night's attendance at a Real Ale Festival.

;D

H

urban_biker

« Reply #22 on: 10 October, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »
I think I'll have to see if the rest of the Faccombe four are all available one weekend. Saturday is impossible for me as I need advance notice.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #23 on: 10 October, 2014, 01:06:55 pm »
I've not made my Gutbuster annual pilgrimage as yet so would be very much interested in doing this before the year turns  :thumbsup: .....sadly can't join this Saturday Hummers as I will be out on the lanes around Bath this weekend

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #24 on: 10 October, 2014, 09:28:27 pm »
So, the idea is that I do the ride first and then eat the big beef burger?  What time does the van shut up shop on the weekend?