Author Topic: Chris rides a Billy-no-Mates 400  (Read 1506 times)

Chris S

Chris rides a Billy-no-Mates 400
« on: 02 May, 2010, 05:22:03 pm »
Premis #1: Many esteemed randonneurs have suggested to me in the past that the toughest Audax distance is a 400; it's too far to seem trivial, but you never seem to get enough time margin for a decent rest.

Premis #2: I've always claimed I never liked the idea of starting a ride late in the day. The notion seemed pointless to me, in that it immediately subjects the rider to the wonderful world of sleep deprivation.

But perhaps - if I were to combine these premises, they would cancel each other out? So I pulled together two previously ridden 200km loops based near home, to make a figure eight 400. Starting early evening, the first loop would be an A/B-Road loop I've used previously as an RRTY winter banker, the second loop - my favourite DIY 200 - a loop around the north coast of Norfolk. I figured I could knock out the first loop in about 10 hours, the second in about 11 hours (it's over-distance, and laney - plus north Norfolk isn't totally pan-flat). This would leave a rather handy 7 hour margin, the lion-share of which could be spent on an overnight stop between loops.

That was the theory.

After finishing work a little earlier than usual, and cramming an early dinner in - I paid the first of three visits to Necton Co-op (always use the same till on multiple visits if possible, they have very different times on their till clocks) for a receipt. The clock was running at 18:00 exactly.

The first loop - Necton, Newmarket, Saffron Walden, Sudbury, Bury St Edmunds, Necton.

Necton to Newmarket: Heavy bank holiday traffic in no mood to suffer a cyclist on "their" road and an East Anglian block headwind to accompany the frequent showers made this a grim section. ATM control at 20:30.

Newmarket to Saffron Walden: Much quieter roads, still breezy. Nice workout climbing out of Hadstock. Tesco control just before 22:00.

Saffron Walden to Sudbury: The turn at Saffron Walden converted the headwind to a part tailwind - which was funnelled along the Stour valley to great effect. Another nice climb at Foxearth - but the after effects of pushing a 70" gear against the wind earlier on were making my knees sore. Tesco control at midnight.

Sudbury to Bury St Edmunds: I decided to use the A134 as it was late O'Clock. Good plan - the road was empty, smooth and aligned away from the wind. Got a bit lost crossing BsE, and ended up on a bike path through the old town; much to the surprise of a lone copper in full flouro garb walking the other way. Tesco control number 3 at 01:20.

Bury St Edmunds to Necton: Nothing much to report. The forest was spooky - and empty, no sign of any dogging activity at Kings. The rain started again just as I was nearing home. Back home at 03:20.

So - not quite 9.5 hours for the first 213km, and I hadn't even been eaten by drunk natives. Result!

Downed a protein shake and a couple of Nurofens for the knees, and climbed into bed - alarm set for 7am.

Up at 7, refreshed and (mostly) recovered. After a shower, vast breakfast, and many cups of tea, I commenced loop number 2 (and closed loop number 1) with another Co-op visit (same till).

The second loop: Necton, Downham Market, Hunstanton, Sheringham, Wymondham, Necton

Necton to Downham Market: Into the wind again, but it was lighter and not much of a problem, and the sun was shining. ATM stop at 09:30.

Downham Market to Hunstanton: Nice ride beside the river to Kings Lynn - but slow progress through heavy Saturday traffic. Started to flag, so stopped at Sandringham Cafe for expensive cake and coffee. Tesco control number 4 at midday. Applied suncream. Spent some time people-watching, while eating sandwiches. Observation - Why do people go on holiday if they are going to be so miserable? Ah well...

Hunstanton to Sheringham: Highlight of the whole ride - this was a smashing section. Stopped at Ringstead to shed layers - the sun was blazing in a clear blue sky, accompanied by a refreshing sea breeze. Had some trouble finding enough room in the saddlebag to stow everything. Well done Carradice - it was bulging at the seams, but did the job! Wighton was having a Scarecrow festival. I found the whole thing rather creepy - but the vast paper-mache Very Hungry Caterpillar was excellent! Very many Twitchers were clustered around a field near Burnham Market, filming and photographing mud. But I have it on good authority there was a rare bird there. I didn't see it, it must have been mud coloured. Oh yes - Burnham Market; The perfect example of how to ruin a previously lovely place with cars.
ATM control at Sheringham at 15:20. Sat with an ice cream in the sunshine. Lovely.

Sheringham to Wymondham: Got a bit lost after the GPS crashed and dumped my route. The north Norfolk lanes are tricksy, and I probably added a few km getting it wrong in places, but picked up on familiar roads near Lenwade. ATM control at 18:20. Started to feel tired and slow, and the sunshine had disappeared behind grey clouds.

Wymondham to Necton: Last leg. And I was on my last legs too. The wind helped, having strengthed and veered NE. Final Co-op stop at 19:45. I bought beer for the receipt.

And that was that - a very typical 400km experience - full of highs and lows and long periods of thousand yard stares. The format worked well for me, in that the overnight stop broke the ride up and made it feel less daunting. Perhaps this very thing would turn others off the idea.

But - in terms of this being an exercise - yes, you can get a decent rest stop on a 400, though it will of course depend on the 400 (East Anglian terrain is pretty easy on the legs, even with a headwind) and yes, sometimes a late start does work.