Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 845581 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4825 on: 19 January, 2017, 12:14:20 pm »
I tend to agree but I feel there is an invisible line in situations like that between insanity and that special brand of bravery.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4826 on: 19 January, 2017, 12:29:04 pm »
Just finished a Christmas present book "SAS: Rogue Heroes - The Authorized Wartime History" Ben MacIntyre.

What a bunch of nutters ! Miles behind enemy lines in occupied Europe with only 40 troops and a ragtag bunch of partisans and escaped Russian troops, what do you radio back to the UK to have airdropped to help the situation why a piper of course. And even more amazingly HQ says what a good idea and parachutes one in !

Brilliant book made better by it's truth. My Uncle (commando not SAS) took part in the Dieppe commando raid and lost a hand throwing grenades back at the German/nazi troops, bonkers. He became a legend in the 60's by saying to a mate who was helping me with my Mum moving some stuff when he said "Want a hand son" (imagine gruff East End accent) my mate without thinking "yes please Joe" with a wry smile my Uncle Joe passed him his hook and burst into a fit of laughter at my mates face.

BTW Have you read about Billie Millin the piper, now that was insane.

Apparently captured Germans when interviewed said they didn't shoot him because they thought he'd gone mad.

That was on "QI" ane other week and must therefore be 100% Trufax.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4827 on: 22 January, 2017, 01:59:58 am »
Just started Carl Hiaasen's latest, "Razor Girl".  Looks promising so far.

By "promising", you mean "twisted as hell", don't you?  :demon:  ;D ;)

Think on what she might be shaving, and that's just the start of it...

Well up to his usual standards with the usual cast of oddballs, convoluted plots and general mayhem.  Skink's not in it but if anyone deserves to make a comeback in a Trump administration it's a former Governor of Florida turned eco-warrior.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4828 on: 23 January, 2017, 07:56:27 pm »
Just finished reading Dead Girl Walking. worth it just for the following description of a baddie:
He was troll-like, both facially and in build, resembling a squat and steroid-pumped Michael Gove. It was a truely horrible vision, but on the plus side, it would make it a lot easier if Parlabane ended up having to punch the guy really hard in the face. Indeed, remembering to stop and run off would be the main hazard.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4829 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »
Just started reading 'Laid back around the world in 180 days'.

It's cracking so far, not even through the prologue and it's had me laughing out loud twice.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4830 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:23:34 am »
Finished Sudden Death by Álvaro Enrique, it's bloody brilliant.  Read it on a tablet and kept popping out into Wikipedia to look up all the folk and events he was describing: ranges from real tennis to Hernán Cortés to Henry VIII to Caravaggio, various popes & cardinals, battles, seductions, duels & beyond. Wondrous.

Now reading Chris. Priest's The Adjacent, which ain't bad at all.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4831 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:56:30 am »
With a "Okay, finished that one," my wife has handed me Pincher Martin by William Golding, to read. Never read it before.

^
Day two of reading it. It's hard going.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4832 on: 25 January, 2017, 07:12:56 pm »
Should I have a look at the Inspector Hobbes?

I'll tell you when I've read a bit more of it.

So, I've finished it. It's cheap on Kindle, easy to read and I quite like the weird characters in it, though the narrator got on my tits somewhat. This reviewer pretty well sums up my feelings, though the word 'hate' is a bit strong for me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R342PSNO6AGSS3/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00G9MXDZ2&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=266239&store=books

Though even discounting Andy Caplet, it's no Mclean or McRae novel.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4833 on: 26 January, 2017, 12:53:04 pm »
Been travelling so got through a couple of novels.

Another Charles Stross Laundry novel. They are good for passing the time.

Pat Barker Life Class
Engrossing, sad. Made me feel old and jaded.

Currently reading Paper Towns by John Green, as sort of coming-of-age novel in Orlando, USA. A very normal teenager deeply emotionally involved with a totally bonkers persistent runaway teenager he's grown up with - who finally runs away leaving not sure whether she is dead or not. This isn't a tear-jerker like 'The fault in our stars' but all through the book you can feel the tragedy and pain building up, just waiting to happen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4834 on: 27 January, 2017, 12:55:17 pm »
With a "Okay, finished that one," my wife has handed me Pincher Martin by William Golding, to read. Never read it before.

^

If you can resist, don't read till you finish or give up
(click to show/hide)

Riggers

« Reply #4835 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:03:54 pm »

^

If you can resist, don't read till you finish or give up
(click to show/hide)

Nuncers, guess what:
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #4836 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:26:03 pm »
From memory, I think you can skip to the last sentence.

Riggers

« Reply #4837 on: 30 January, 2017, 08:42:02 am »
From memory, I think you can skip to the last sentence.

;D

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4838 on: 30 January, 2017, 01:09:25 pm »
Jens Voight's Shut Up Legs!

I got it this morning with cards and tea in bed (actual birthday today). Looks like it will be a good read.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #4839 on: 04 February, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »
Max Leonard's _Lanterne Rouge_, a history of and meditation on the position of the last man in the TdF. In the wrong hands this would just have been a list of potted biographies, but Leonard does something far more interesting. What does it mean to carry on turning yourself inside out for hundreds or thousands of kilometers when you've no chance of winning a jersey or a stage? He looks at how the perception of the Lanterne has changed across the years, and the Tour organisers' relationship to the position - mainly indifference or hostility. Leonard is clear-eyed but sympathetic about how cycling's respect for history often shades into myth-making; he also writes beautifully. Highly recommended.

« Reply #4840 on: 04 February, 2017, 07:03:06 pm »
Another bikey-type-book by Steven Primrose-Smith. I've just ordered this after reading all his other humorous, originally written books. Can't wait to get reading.

"Route Britannia, the Journey South: A Spontaneous Bicycle Ride through Every County in Britain"

http://greatdestinationsradioshow.com/2017/02/02/fancy-getting-on-your-bike-to-see-britain/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Route-Britannia-Journey-South-Spontaneous-ebook/dp/B01MTYZ3MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486156397&sr=1-1&keywords=route+britannia

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4841 on: 04 February, 2017, 07:42:25 pm »
To send me to sleep, on a night, Lisa's Story by Stephen King. So far, so King.

For the train, to work, Mrs T has found my copy of "Body Work", Monday has suddenly got a lot more appealing!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Riggers

« Reply #4842 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »
Another bikey-type-book by Steven Primrose-Smith. I've just ordered this after reading all his other humorous, originally written books. Can't wait to get reading.

"Route Britannia, the Journey South: A Spontaneous Bicycle Ride through Every County in Britain"

http://greatdestinationsradioshow.com/2017/02/02/fancy-getting-on-your-bike-to-see-britain/ (Hello!!?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Route-Britannia-Journey-South-Spontaneous-ebook/dp/B01MTYZ3MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486156397&sr=1-1&keywords=route+britannia

"During his ride, he says he found that many towns in modern Britain were all very similar – what he calls ‘anytowns’ in the book. “They were just replicated. They had exactly the same shops – so Stafford was the same as Taunton – and that’s really dull.” But he told me there were still plenty of highlights on the route too. “The towns that stand out are the ones that had some originality. My favourite was Brighton. You get this sense that you can be as weird as you want in Brighton and no one would bat an eyelid because in a minute you’ll see someone weirder. I liked that bravado.”

Yes … get in!

« Reply #4843 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:39:50 pm »
I recently finished 'The Englishman's Boy' by Guy Vanderhaeghe. It's been around for a while, apparently, and I only picked up on it as a staff recommendation in my local bookshop. Highly recommended - a good story, well written, with plenty to ponder on when you're finished.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4844 on: 23 February, 2017, 07:26:28 pm »
Ooh, ooh, the new Inspector McLean was released and delivered to my kindle today which was a nice surprise :)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #4845 on: 23 February, 2017, 09:40:26 pm »
"Gut" by Giulia Enders

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4846 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:54:27 pm »
finished The Russia House

now on After the Flood by Margaret Atwood after a conversation with a client, liking it so far
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4847 on: 24 February, 2017, 09:46:19 am »
Ooh, ooh, the new Inspector McLean was released and delivered to my kindle today which was a nice surprise :)

I can't remember whether I pre-ordered this but if I did it won't have been delivered to my Kindle as it decided that wifi was beneath its dignity.  Time for more mucking around with cables & Calibre.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4848 on: 25 February, 2017, 06:14:33 pm »
I am currently reading The Miniaturist, after a Goodreads recommendation from that Eccentrica Gallumbits.  It's very good :)

« Reply #4849 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:10:31 pm »
Ohhhh !  There's a new Easy Rawlins book out  :D   "Charcoal Joe" by Walter Mosley. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark