Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 845487 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #5000 on: 24 July, 2017, 11:33:03 am »
Currently re-reading the excellent English Passengers by Matthew Kneale. It's an enjoyably funny historical novel set in the early to mid 19th century. Sadly, it also charts the destruction of the Tasmanian aboriginals and they terrible treatment by the white man.
4/5. Well worth a read

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5001 on: 24 July, 2017, 12:36:52 pm »
Aye, but at least they died Christian so really they were blessed. Bloody missionaries.

Anyway, I'm on another of Seb Faulks's war novels, Where my Heart Used to Beat.   WW2 this time. Up to scratch.  Reminded me a bit of The Magus at first, but only superficially.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5002 on: 24 July, 2017, 01:10:43 pm »
For reasons as noted elsewhere I have started re-reading Simon Bond's Monsieur Pamplemousse books on my kindle, I was wondering how they would survive the close on 30 year gap since I last made their acquaintance.

First the backdrop: 30 years ago I was a foodie francophile with an adoration (in no particular order) for Paris, dogs, writing of PG Wodehouse & T Pratchett, cars, bikes. It was no wonder that the author of the Paddington books would draw me in with books set in Paris, around food, with a lead character who had a dog and a 2CV.

Pamplemouse is an ex-surete inspector for "Le Guide", a fictional competitor of Michelin and Gault Millau, who travels France with his companion and partner in establishment evaluation and crime solving: a bloodhound called Pommes Frites. They stumble from incident to incident, and can be guaranteed to go from dans la merde to unexpected success, often without realising either.

How would the books age? Well, on re-reading critically, five books in, I can say that the writing improves from the first volume as the series develops. They are never going to be great literature, but they are jolly good lighthearted fun, still. Pamplemousse is a composite Clouseau-Wodehouse-Paddington Bear figure, the perfect foil for Michael Bond's uncanny ability to build a custard pie scene to a crescendo. Bond weaves in fascinating food and wine related knowledge which, as far as I know, was based on his own interests, along with the Parisian and French backdrop.

I've just about reached the point where I probably stopped reading the series first time out, although to be fair the detail isn't that memorable and I can re-read them happily as if for the first time. My verdict? Perfect holiday reading.

« Reply #5003 on: 24 July, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »
Hmm, interesting - hadn't heard of these, but they sound like just the thing for the holidays...

« Reply #5004 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:09:40 am »
The War with Cape Horn by Alan Villiers. An amazing account of a world that has long passed us by, that of tall ships making their living (just) by trading between Europe and the West coast of the Americas at the turn of the last century.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5005 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:59:45 am »
The Last Grain Race by Eric Newby deals with the end of that world.  Although, according to Wiki, tall ships still plied the route in 1948/49.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Grain_Race

« Reply #5006 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:31:05 am »
:-)  That's one of the few books I've read to the point of its falling apart.

My current read is built from many sources and gives some idea of the scale of the losses and sheer heroism of some of the people involved. Staggering.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5007 on: 25 July, 2017, 12:00:53 pm »
His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet.  Intriguing so far...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5008 on: 25 July, 2017, 01:33:32 pm »

My current read is built from many sources and gives some idea of the scale of the losses and sheer heroism of some of the people involved. Staggering.

My father would have been away to sea as a lad if he hadn't had lousy eyes. I think the entire sailing section of the Belfast Central Library must had passed through our house, and he often hauled me over of an evening to have my ear bent. Some of it rubbed off, but not to that extent.  He didn't like the Newby book, though - thought the bloke was a facetious lightweight or some such.  I mostly remember the bit about the handkerchief in the underground.

Come to think of it, we did have at least one real sailor in the family.  He was master of the barque Roma, out of Derry to Nova Scotia in the 1890s, I think. Got himself embayed on a lee shore, refused help to avoid salvage claims, and went down with his ship and all hands. Stubborn idiot.

« Reply #5009 on: 14 August, 2017, 11:15:03 am »
Fahrenheit 451.  Covertly ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5010 on: 14 August, 2017, 12:51:17 pm »
Seveneves ~ Neal Stephenson.  Early doors yet, but it's difficult to believe this is from the same author wot done "Cryptonomicon" :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5011 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:11:23 pm »
Or even Anathem. That was good.

I've been reading The 100-year old man who climbed out of his window and disappeared by Snorri Sturluson or some other such Scandahoovian chronicle-monger*. A jolly, sunny, optimistic romp, unlike most Nordics. Enjoyable.

*Jonas Jonasson, that's the bloke.

« Reply #5012 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:21:10 pm »
Yes.  If you're looking for more of the same, I think The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden was just a little bit too silly, but nonetheless amusing in many parts.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5013 on: 14 August, 2017, 07:06:23 pm »
Mr Jonasson's third offering is as good as his first, but I can't remember the title because Miss von Brandenburg still has it.

« Reply #5014 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:22:09 pm »

My father would have been away to sea as a lad if he hadn't had lousy eyes. I think the entire sailing section of the Belfast Central Library must had passed through our house, and he often hauled me over of an evening to have my ear bent. Some of it rubbed off, but not to that extent.  He didn't like the Newby book, though - thought the bloke was a facetious lightweight or some such.  I mostly remember the bit about the handkerchief in the underground.

Come to think of it, we did have at least one real sailor in the family.  He was master of the barque Roma, out of Derry to Nova Scotia in the 1890s, I think. Got himself embayed on a lee shore, refused help to avoid salvage claims, and went down with his ship and all hands. Stubborn idiot.

I liked Newby's account; he had a foot in both worlds so probably did irritate some people. 'Two Years Before the Mast' by Dana is hard to beat IMO. What a life!

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/4277/pg4277.html
Move Faster and Bake Things

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5015 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:24:08 pm »
Got a copy of 'Narrow Dog To Carcassone' by Terry Darlington.

It's a stream of conciousness narrative that includes many witty observations (and some damning indictments of modern British society) telling the story of an epic crossing of the Channel in a narrowboat, beginning from Stone in Staffs and traversing France & Belgium, ending on the Canal du Midi.

Can't decide whether it was brave or foolish. Or both. Very entertaining so far.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5016 on: 15 August, 2017, 11:01:02 am »
I am actually combining work and pleasure by reading "The Phoenix Project" by Gene Kim et al.

It's no work of literary excellence, but it is very good at explaining what DevOps is trying to fix.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5017 on: 15 August, 2017, 11:17:35 am »

I liked Newby's account; he had a foot in both worlds so probably did irritate some people. 'Two Years Before the Mast' by Dana is hard to beat IMO. What a life!

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/4277/pg4277.html

Yes, I liked that one. I remember reading somewhere that Dan's enthusing about riding horses on the beach was a euphemism for riding something that sounds a bit like horse but more like Aubry's bankers.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5018 on: 15 August, 2017, 11:20:18 am »
Yes.  If you're looking for more of the same, I think The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden was just a little bit too silly, but nonetheless amusing in many parts.
Mr Jonasson's third offering is as good as his first, but I can't remember the title because Miss von Brandenburg still has it.

Ta. Will take a gander. 

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5019 on: 15 August, 2017, 11:30:27 am »
Got a copy of 'Narrow Dog To Carcassone' by Terry Darlington.

It's a stream of conciousness narrative that includes many witty observations (and some damning indictments of modern British society) telling the story of an epic crossing of the Channel in a narrowboat, beginning from Stone in Staffs and traversing France & Belgium, ending on the Canal du Midi.

Can't decide whether it was brave or foolish. Or both. Very entertaining so far.

This Unit also recommends "Narrow Dog To Indian River", in which Mr and Mrs Darlington and Jim have the Phyllis May shipped across the Atlantic and cruise the Intracoastal Waterway from the bottom end of Cheesypeas Bay to the Gulf of Mexico.

Sadly, not long after the completion of the above trip the Phyllis May burned to the waterline while moored back at Stone.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5020 on: 17 August, 2017, 12:15:49 am »
Like I said, some damning indictments of modern British society . . .  >:(
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5021 on: 21 August, 2017, 07:59:47 pm »
I am reading The Bickford Fuse by Andrey Kurkov.

Normally I like his books, however this one is so deadly dull in that existentially 'worthy' sort of manner. I found myself looking at the % read bit on the Kindle last night and groaned. I normally try and power through, but fuck it, I'm not at work, I'm on holiday!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Chris S

« Reply #5022 on: 21 August, 2017, 09:11:24 pm »
Expeditionary Force - Craig Alanson:

http://www.audible.co.uk/series?asin=B01N1NWMX6&source_code=M2M14DFT1BkSH082015011X

Only on audiobook, because: R C Bray.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #5023 on: 21 August, 2017, 09:39:11 pm »
The very hungry caterpillar. This book has excellent ecological ethos but also has a surprising twist in its tail. I don't want to elaborate so you will just have to read it yourself.

« Reply #5024 on: 22 August, 2017, 09:29:42 am »
Non-violence. The history of a dangerous idea by Mark Kurlansky.
I'm re-reading this.  It tells a repeating tale of religion being usurped for the purposes of warmongering. (Are you listening Tony Blair? ::-))  The book has its flaws but is an interesting discussion on how non-violence is not the same as complete pacifism, with examples - most of whom got killed by violet people :facepalm: