Author Topic: It's ok for someone to nearly drive into you...  (Read 6362 times)

mAsTa RiDaH

Re: It's ok for someone to nearly drive into you...
« Reply #50 on: 06 March, 2011, 08:27:05 pm »

Well fail of this tonight.  My yell did the trick, someone turned right across my path without looking.  How the 'k do you miss an Exposure Maxx-D light?

That there is assumption, never assume people will see just because you have the latest and greatest in cycling lights.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #51 on: 06 March, 2011, 08:57:46 pm »
2011-02-04 - Rider Down, New Kings Road

I think She past away ? Sorry if its already been posted

« Reply #52 on: 06 March, 2011, 09:24:37 pm »

That there is assumption, never assume people will see just because you have the latest and greatest in cycling lights.

Very true. Even cars get hit by other cars pulling out on them. Cars have much better lights than the best cycle lights. The very best cycle lights are arguably about the same as car headlights.

« Reply #53 on: 06 March, 2011, 09:28:57 pm »
I'll say it again, Lee's hindsight is extraordinary, binocular even, and quite offensive really.  The only assumption is his - that I was relying on the light to be seen.  My lights are nothing more than an anti-insurance measure, at least in the daytime as this was.

I did make a minor mistake, which was not covering the brakes like I usually do before the junction, which is also why I missed the airzound.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

MartinGT

« Reply #54 on: 07 March, 2011, 09:21:19 am »
The only sensible reply is to yell "Stop trying to fucking kill me!" and remove their wing mirror to make sure they know they are too close to you.

An old dear tried crushing me into a viaduct abutment beeping her horn and calling me an idiot for being on the road.

The only way I could stop her was to do the above!

Alouicious

« Reply #55 on: 07 March, 2011, 09:38:47 am »
She may be someone's mom. Yes. Her son might be a 6'6" thug who will be gently amused be hearing about a cyclist banging on the roof of his mom's car.

Don't be so confident she didn't get a good description of you to pass on to her son, who will be keeping his beady eye out for a cyclist who fits the description to have a free 'kick up'.

Don't be too eager to shout, swear and hit out at close pass motorists. They may be approaching you again from the rear again in a few days.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 07 March, 2011, 09:39:50 am »
You get a skewed view of the world from down there, don't you?
Getting there...

MartinGT

« Reply #57 on: 07 March, 2011, 10:14:41 am »
You get a skewed view of the world from down there, don't you?

:thumbsup:

« Reply #58 on: 07 March, 2011, 10:16:08 am »
you have the option of reporting the matter to DVLA.  I have no idea whether they have to take all reports seriously, but I hope they do.  And as with reporting stuff to the police, if nothing happens first time, at least a picture can be built if there are other reports.

Gosh, more comedy!
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #59 on: 07 March, 2011, 10:21:10 am »
She may be someone's mom. Yes. Her son might be a 6'6" thug who will be gently amused be hearing about a cyclist banging on the roof of his mom's car.

Don't be so confident she didn't get a good description of you to pass on to her son, who will be keeping his beady eye out for a cyclist who fits the description to have a free 'kick up'.

Don't be too eager to shout, swear and hit out at close pass motorists. They may be approaching you again from the rear again in a few days.

So you're suggesting we should ignore crime in case the criminal's rellies turn violent?

Are you a policeman?

BTW, here's a nice piccy of your house (it's on the right at the bottom):

« Reply #60 on: 07 March, 2011, 10:23:39 am »

This is actually a good point. You never know what sort of a nutter might be behind the wheel. Remember that maniac that tried to throttle Charlotte?

Having said that, slapping a car really can be the only way - I've hit a bus when it pulled in on me - now way of avoiding it - so I had to get the driver's attention.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #61 on: 07 March, 2011, 11:21:34 am »
Remember that maniac that tried to throttle Charlotte?

He must have been suicidal.

Alouicious

« Reply #62 on: 07 March, 2011, 12:46:11 pm »
A car drives close to you and you can't see the driver. You hit the car's roof with your outstretched hand.

What outcome would be the 'Worst case scenario'? For the cyclist.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 07 March, 2011, 01:05:55 pm »
A car drives close to you and you can't see the driver. You hit the car's roof with your outstretched hand.

How about being squashed next week cos he/she is still driving like a twunt; that would be a pretty bad outcome.

Don't tell people that they shouldn't stand up for themselves - we'd have a pretty shite society if everyone took your advice.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Si_Co

« Reply #64 on: 07 March, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »

It's a cabriolet and you land with your head in the drivers lap?
I'm interested to know how it's possible to hit the roof and not be able to see the driver at all yet still be able hit the roof?

Why are you banging on the roof anyway? They fit cars with wing mirrors to provide cyclists with souvenirs.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #65 on: 07 March, 2011, 01:39:57 pm »

Ah - the bridge at Ronda.  I thought they'd cured their infestation...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #66 on: 07 March, 2011, 05:09:08 pm »
Having said that, slapping a car really can be the only way - I've hit a bus when it pulled in on me - now way of avoiding it - so I had to get the driver's attention.

If you catch it up at the next set of lights/bus stop then apart from Routemasters they normally have a nice emergency stop button at the back underneath an easy to open flap (with a label directing you to it as well!)

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #67 on: 07 March, 2011, 09:47:03 pm »

Ah - the bridge at Ronda.  I thought they'd cured their infestation...

Well, they don't throw people off it any more...