Author Topic: Update: Police response to nasty intersection overtake - DNT1 - New Zealand  (Read 3770 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Not sure if this is the appropriate sub-forum or not so apologies in advance if not. Maybe a moderator can move it if appropriate.

I thought this Police response from New Zealand Police officers might be of interest ...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vGJehXnDlfM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vGJehXnDlfM&rel=1</a>

Regards
Andrew

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Not quite sure what he was complaining about.  He was in a 'Give Way' and the other vehicle did remain within its lane.  OK - the driver blew his horn but if everyone complained about that the police would have no time for anything else.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Aushiker

Not quite sure what he was complaining about.  He was in a 'Give Way' and the other vehicle did remain within its lane.  OK - the driver blew his horn but if everyone complained about that the police would have no time for anything else.
There you go ... love to see you do this to a police officer :)

Andrew

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
What's with all the [SIC]s?
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

What's with all the [SIC]s?

There was only one potential grammatical error in the message (regarding 'Filing').  Other than that the use of 'Police' was correct.

I think it's an indignant and somewhat pompous cyclist who thinks that, as well as being right about everything they do on the road, they are also better at grammar than anyone else.  Perhaps he is the Antipodean cousin of this chap?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tcs7Veis7-Y&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Tcs7Veis7-Y&rel=1</a>

(If you watch the rest of this plonker's videos, you'll see a shining example of why some other road users thinks cyclists are arrogant cocks)

Green Party Councillor

I see what the problem was with this driver, and they didn't stay within the lane, plus they came super close to the cyclist. Sure, not the worst thing ever, but it still was some nasty aggressive driving.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

The cyclist was moving forward into the lane that the vehicle was already in. 

OK - the driver didn't need to beep, but what we can't see is the direction that the cyclist was looking.  He could have been looking in the other direction.

Silly behaviour by both - but hardly a biggy...

Green Party Councillor

Aushiker

LOL that is pretty funny ... 1.18+ clearly shows otherwise unless of course they used a time machine to go back in time to come forward in time ... and they must now drive on the right hand side in NZ ...

Andrew

Aushiker

Other than that the use of 'Police' was correct.

Is police a proper noun? If they have had said the "New Zealand Police" then for sure the capitalisation is correct but I am not so sure that "police" is a proper noun.   If the word police is not a proper noun then the capitalisation was wrong and hence the [sic] whilst pedantic is correct.

For what it is worth, Wiki Answers suggests that police is a common noun.

The Macquarie Dictionary shows the use of police as an adjective and hence lower-case. The YouTube up-loader would appear to be correct.

5. to oversee, checking correct adherence to regulations: council officers will police the new building code.
–adjective 6. of or relating to a police force. [French: government, civil administration, police, from Medieval Latin polītia, variant of Latin polītīa polity. Compare policy1]
–policing, noun

Andrew

AndyK

The 'beeping' sounds like an Airzound not a car horn.

clarion

• Tyke
...the other vehicle did remain within its lane. 

Are you watching a different video? ;D
Getting there...

Cyclist did move forward - the first bit of vid is a rear-facing camera.  I presume the cyclist was waiting for the pickup to exit the junction, so that then they could move off and pull into the left-hand-lane. The maroon peoplemover came across and undertook them, not giving way.

I think that in NZ (as in Aus), it's considered normal (and legal) for cars to undertake (it's very alarming when they do this on freeways). So the car wasn't doing anything wrong by undertaking the bike - they swung wide out of their lane and about 1ft into the cyclist's lane - so just shitty driving.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
I understood that the moton culture in NZ is significantly stronger than here?
It is simpler than it looks.

If you look a bit more carefully at the video, there isn't another lane, there's only one lane. The car went into an area bounded by solid white lines, which I imagine you're not supposed to enter. The bit I have a problem with is how she cuts in very close to him whilst undertaking him.

clarion

• Tyke
I agree.  The Police response was that the car had not moved out of the lane, when it clearly had.
Getting there...

Two lanes merging into one, divided by dashed lines. Car comes over the dashed lines into the lane the cyclist is in.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Aushiker

I think that in NZ (as in Aus), it's considered normal (and legal) for cars to undertake (it's very alarming when they do this on freeways). So the car wasn't doing anything wrong by undertaking the bike - they swung wide out of their lane and about 1ft into the cyclist's lane - so just shitty driving.

I cannot comment on New Zealand but in Australia what this driver did is illegal. The situation with passing on the left on a freeway, i.e., being in the left lane (lane 1) passing a vehicle in right lane (lane 2) is completely different scenario to what took place at this intersection and yes that is legal.

Are you saying it is illegal to be in the left lane (lane 1) on a motorway in the UK with a vehicle in the right lane (lane 2) going slower and hence one must move from the left lane to a lane to the right (lane 3) of the other car to pass?

Andrew

Aushiker

For those interested I think this is the intersection/direction of travel where the incident occurred.

Andrew

Are you saying it is illegal to be in the left lane (lane 1) on a motorway in the UK with a vehicle in the right lane (lane 2) going slower and hence one must move from the left lane to a lane to the right (lane 3) of the other car to pass?

Andrew
It isn't a directly listed offense, but against the highway code, so could attract a charge of driving without due care and attention.

The motorways over here are much faster than in Oz and narrower lanes. It's quite a shock after Oz driving to find yourself on a 4-lane road with 3 lanes doing 120kph and one lane doing 80kph, vehicles only 3 car-lengths apart.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Aushiker

I understood that the moton culture in NZ is significantly stronger than here?

Are you referring to bogans? :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gUkDL49o9SQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/gUkDL49o9SQ&rel=1</a>'

Andrew

Two lanes merging into one, divided by dashed lines. Car comes over the dashed lines into the lane the cyclist is in.

Hmm, no? I think the dashed lines are the giveway lines. It might like like a lane divider, but only because it's at an angle.

Hmm, no? I think the dashed lines are the giveway lines. It might like like a lane divider, but only because it's at an angle.

I think it is a really complex and shitty junction - at the mouth of the junction there are two lanes (one for vehicles coming straight across, one for vehicles turning right into the junction from the main road).  Immediately after the junction the lanes merge.

At the start of the vid, it looks like the cyclist has turned right into the road and is in the rightmost lane. They pause, start to move forward, and a car comes across the junction into the left lane, straying over into the cyclist's lane.

IMO, the cyclist had right-of-way, the car shouldn't have undertook in any case and was poorly controlled.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oh, no, it's all happening in the central reservation crossing point, where there is a single lane for turning right, half way across.

<scratches head>  You reckon? I'm not sure which way is up anymore.

Can we agree that the car driver is a bimbling moron and wouldn't notice a glowing green alien if it was sitting on their car bonnet playing a ukulele?

<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
I'm pretty certain of that.  I'm also pretty certain that the local Police badges are adorned with the proud motto: 'DILLIGAF?'
Getting there...