Author Topic: Manchester evening ride - Tuesday 11th April '17  (Read 11525 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Manchester evening ride - Tuesday 11th April '17
« on: 30 May, 2012, 03:12:50 pm »
If the wind is in the right direction and the ride Gods are smiling I shall be in Manchester on the evening of Tuesday 26th June.  That nice man Chocolatebike has kindly offered to show me the sights and we wondered if anyone else fancies coming along too.

I am staying at the Old Trafford Premier Inn and should be ready to roll by about 6pm, ideally I'd like to be back by 11pm (work next day) having done a few miles, had something cheap and cheerful to eat and got on the outside of a couple of beers.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Manchester evening ride - 26th June
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:39:53 pm »
Cool!  Trafford, eh?  If you dress like Morrissey, you could go vist the Salford Lad's Club, and take a photo of you all waving your gladioli.

Mind you, you should be prepared to have stones thrown at you by the local kids.

A punctured bicycle / On a hillside desolate / Will nature make a man of me yet ?

Or you could go the other way and visit the Trafford Centre, which truly is a ..... shopping centre. ;D
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »
I think you're working on the assumption I know something about modern culture - I don't so unfortunately your carefully honed words are lost on me. Sorry!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:15:24 pm »
Sorry.  If 1983 is too recent, how about something about Salford/Trafford from 1980? ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OGWhjojt5dw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OGWhjojt5dw&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2012, 05:44:40 pm »
I hear from OD that he's still coming up to MCR next week so I've come up with a route:-
Out from Old Trafford where OD is staying, to Cholton CH and then to Dunham Massey through Wythenshawe (yes, we're spoiling OD  ;) ).

We'll have something to eat in Ye Olde No. 3 in Little Bollington (drinks optional) before returning through the lanes around Dunham Woodhouses.

Depending on what time it is, we'll then either head to Bar in Chorlton CH (they serve Ginger Marble there doncha know ?) or I'll take OD back to his hotel.
Total distance will be about 30 miles, most of it on lanes or tarmacced canal tow-path. There could be a short section on the TPT which is hard-packed but generally smooth.
I'll confirm times later but it's likely to be 18.30 in Old Trafford and 19.00 at Chorlton Water Park.
If you're interested in coming along, please let me know.
Comedy Manc accents are not required.

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2012, 06:02:30 pm »
Ye Olde No. 3. Blimey that name brought back some memories - pleasant drinks and pleasant cycling :thumbsup:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2012, 08:40:27 am »
That sounds lovely, thanks!  See you on Tuesday.

Si_Co

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2012, 08:50:18 am »
Make sure you're hungry at the Number 3 , you could feed an army on one of their portions.

I take it you're gonna cross to Dunham Massey using the liitle bridge by The Swan with two Nicks? Got some nice ales on at the mo.

I'd love to come but I'm afraid you'll be out way past my bedtime and I'm always cream crackered in the evenings..........sorry.......enjoy though

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:49:57 am »
Just seen this and I'm up for a ride. Can we meet somewhere in Chorlton CH, Choco and then go to OT to get OD?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:52:18 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »
Times then:-
18.30 I'll meet Oscar's Dad at OT Travelodge (note to self, check exactly where that is)
19.00 Chorlton Water Park car park.

I'll stick with the route above and we'll eat in Ye Olde No. 3, even though I've never tried the food there. The Barn Owl is an alternative if anyone has further input.

The forecast suggests that the weather will be "mildly Mancunian".

ETA:- It'll help if I find the Premier Inn, not the Travelodge  ::-)

Si_Co

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2012, 12:18:10 pm »
Food at the number 3 is good, classic home cooked pub food with mahoosive portions and cheap too

« Reply #12 on: 27 June, 2012, 12:27:03 am »
That was a lovely evening.
Oscar's Dad has been safely returned to his hotel after a brief sample of the countrside around Manchester.
Helen managed to join us so the three of us went, as planned, to Ye Olde No. 3 only to find that they didn't serve food after 19.30. Undaunted we carried on to the Barn Owl who did their usual excellent job with both food and beer.
Since we had a little time in hand when we got back to Chorlton CH, it seemed rude not to invite OD to Bar to sample some Golden Nectar Ginger Marble. Which we did.
CrinklyLion will be pleased to know there is a picture of OD, pint in hand. I think he's doing his usual "not a Rapha shot" pose.
The weather was more Essexian than Mancunian, thankfully.
As I've already said, a lovely evening  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2012, 06:59:53 am »
Fantastic, just fantastic!  Last night showed, once again, what a force for good yacf is.  I've got a couple of new cycling chums, had a tour of Manchester including Salford Quays, seen some lovely countryside including canals  :thumbsup: , had some smashing food and even more smashing beer. ...

I big, big thankyou to Andy and Helen.  I hope to have a chance to repay their hospitality one day.

:-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14 on: 28 June, 2012, 07:00:07 am »
The route wot we did.  Thanks again you lovely people  :-* :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

Re: Manchester evening ride - 30th April
« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2013, 01:01:46 pm »
Once again I find myself Up North so myself and that nice man Andrew Br have arranged to meet up at the Manchester airport Premier Inn (Runger Lane, Wilmslow Road, M90 5DL) at 7:30pm for a spin, something cheap and tasty to eat plus a couple of jars.

Feel free to join in.

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2013, 03:56:43 pm »
A provisional route: from the hotel to Ashley then around Tatton Park (I'm assuming that we won't be able to go through) to Knutsford.
From there we'll head to the The Railway, Mobberley for food and return via Morley Green and the airport tunnels. If time allows we should be able to fit in a cheeky pint at the Romper.

Meet at Chorlton Water Park at 18.50, the hotel at 19.30 or Ashley at 20.00.
And pray hope for a dry* evening.

* That's "dry" as in no rain  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »
Splendid!!!  Thanks very much  :-*

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #18 on: 27 April, 2013, 12:35:38 am »
I should be good for this. I'll meet you both at the airport hotel at 1930. May even break out the 'bent for this one.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #19 on: 27 April, 2013, 07:13:45 am »
Great news!

« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2013, 02:46:46 pm »
Excellent news indeed !
There could be 4 of the Chorlton CH Massive.
The weather forecast looks good.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »
I'll definitely be at the hotel at 1930. Looks like weather should be good aswell. Look forward to seeing you all.  :thumbsup:

PS might be on fixed, even though I know the route has one (very short) steep bit !!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:03:03 pm »
Foldy bike folded into the car so I'm all set. Looking forward to it!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #23 on: 30 April, 2013, 11:48:58 pm »
Another cracking evening!  Great food, beer and company.

Many thanks to Andrew Br, Tail End Charlie, Helen, Fiona and Mark.

Hope to see you all again soon  :-*

« Reply #24 on: 01 May, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »
That was a great ride and OD picked the right evening for a visit to MCR. Again.
I guess his view of Mancunian weather differs from Kim's  ;D

We did manage to combine several things that, it appears, a yACF ride should include; COR (with spectacular and unplanned dismount*), beer, food and cats. And lots of laughs.

Unlike any other yACF ride that I've been on, one of the partcipants was woefully under equipped on the light front. She's not one of us though so, perhaps, she can be forgiven  ;)

The route we took:-

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/305807177

Oscar's Dad doing what he does best:-

13-04-30 Railway, Mobberley by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

One of the cats (Socks):-

Leaving the pub:-

OD and TEC were last seen heading for the Romper for more beer.

* She's OK, bruised and grazed arm. The bike is fine.