Author Topic: Cycling in France? Don't forget your hi-viz gear  (Read 7083 times)

Really Ancien

Re: Cycling in France? Don't forget your hi-viz gear
« Reply #25 on: 25 July, 2008, 06:17:39 pm »
The cyclist is generally held to be not at fault in RTAs in France. This law opens the possibility of contributory negligence if a Gilet is not worn. There will probably be a section in the Constat Amiable covering the conditions and what the cyclist was wearing. If you don't wear one then you may have to involve the police in order to clarify the situation. In Paris Brest Paris reflective jackets were compulsory in 1999 2003 and 2007 to my knowledge and time penalties were imposed for them not being worn.

Damon.

« Reply #26 on: 25 August, 2008, 11:09:05 pm »
The actual legislation (here, Article 20) reads
Lorsqu'ils circulent la nuit, ou le jour lorsque la visibilité est insuffisante, tout conducteur et passager d'un cycle doivent porter hors agglomération un gilet de haute visibilité conforme à la réglementation et dont les caractéristiques sont prévues par un arrêté du ministre chargé des transports.

"At night, or during the day if the visibility is poor, all cyclists must wear a hi-viz jacket outside built-up areas "

reflective jackets required during PBP 1995 too.

ChrisO

« Reply #27 on: 26 August, 2008, 04:51:14 am »
I was in Brittany the week before last - lots and lots of cyclists and not a single one wearing reflective gear.

Mostly typical middle-aged club riders in team kit so I assumea reasonable proportion were locals.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 26 August, 2008, 06:37:03 am »
Presumably the hi-viz jacket is specified to some EN standard?  Otherwise Swindon RC kit would count - it's pretty bright.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 26 August, 2008, 07:22:35 am »
The second line of the French legislation quoted above says "conforming to the regulations and whose characteristics are laid donw by an order of the minister responsible for transport." So not necessarily an EN, but a French standard. No mention of actual homologation though, just being in conformity. So possibly Swindon RC kit does count, though I doubt it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 26 August, 2008, 09:52:29 am »
Presumably the hi-viz jacket is specified to some EN standard?  Otherwise Swindon RC kit would count - it's pretty bright.

Le site de la Sécurité Routière - Gilet et triangle de présignalisation  

"
Ce gilet doit être conforme à la directive 89/686/CEE du Conseil du 21 décembre 1989 concernant le rapprochement des législations des Etats membres relatives aux EPI (équipements de protection individuelle). Cette conformité est attestée par le marquage C E apposé sur le gilet et par la présence d'une notice d'instruction.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:12:41 am »
Presumably this is important for everyone that wants to ride PBP then?

Didn't PBP have its own requirements for hi-viz jackets or Sam Browne style belts?

Yeah, obligatory at night only.  First time I've ever worn a Sam Browne onna bike.  Felt like a right prat.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #32 on: 26 August, 2008, 01:16:58 pm »
In Spain, from 1st July 2008, it became obligitary to carry (I think) two triangles and a hi viz vest in yr car.

Any info on cyclists requirements changing there?